Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Your town

On 16 Oct 2016 at 9:13pm Charlie wrote:
I have just returned home to Preston after spending the weekend in your town and watching my team play at the Amex stadium. I choose to stay in Lewes as I didn't want the bright lights of Brighton and your town looked like a great place to visit and easy to get to the football.
Whilst in your town I discovered this forum and hence for my comments. It seems your town has a percentage of narrow minded, busy bodies. We choose to stay in the new Premier inn. I hear it took 4 years to get planning permission! Now I know why. Reading past comments, let me put a few things straight.
1. Signage. Some say it's offensive and not in keeping. I say that we struggled to find it due to the lack of signage!
2. One of your residents commented that the hotel employees will be full of his "Eastern European friends" I can confirm that this is not the case.
3. Parking. Like most town centre hotels I am used to no on site parking. Yes we all quibble at paying to park. It seems the moaners think the hotel guests are taking valuable spaces. I parked at the railway station at a cost of 6.20 a day. I would guess at best the car park was only a third full. No problem with spaces then?
The new Premier inn is a great addition to your town and the building looks great. Good luck to the new restaurant Aqua that looks doomed by the moaners already! It seems that some of your residents don't want visitors who spend money in your shops, pubs, restaurants and car parks. It seems that they don't want any branded establishments in the town, good forbid any budget ones. That didn't stop the Aldi car park being full this morning! Get over yourselves and get into this century. Your town is lovely and has a great mix of local and branded places. I will visit your town again if I'm allowed. I say this because I feel that if the narrow minded people had their way, an iron curtain will be built around Lewes and I will need a passport to get in.
On 16 Oct 2016 at 9:37pm Billybob wrote:
What a poor attempt. You must try harder.
On 16 Oct 2016 at 10:07pm Right, Charlie wrote:
but did anyone you met in Lewes espouse the opinions you read here? Don't take an anonymous forum at face value.
That a premier inn took a while to get planning permission in a national park shouldn't surprise you either.
Come back soon!
On 16 Oct 2016 at 10:43pm Clifford wrote:
Whatever the name of the marketing company working for Premier, they're being paid too much. This is pathetic stuff. Let me give you a hint: if you're pretending you're writing about Lewes don't spend most of the time talking about your client.
On 16 Oct 2016 at 10:51pm Mrs p wrote:
Your really shouldn't take the forum as representative of lewes, this is covered in plenty of other posts
On 16 Oct 2016 at 11:01pm Madam slinky wrote:
WTF?
On 17 Oct 2016 at 7:20am Speedy wrote:
The station is all but closed (skeletal service only), so Doh of course its 2/3rds empty...

On 17 Oct 2016 at 9:34am Gardener wrote:
Personally and as a person born and bred in Lewes, I think the look of the Premier Inn is fine. It blends in reasonably well with the houses in Friars walk. There are far uglier buildings close by...Boots, Superdrug, Specsavers etc etc.
On 17 Oct 2016 at 10:02am Sentinel wrote:
Well I vote we don't let him back.
On 17 Oct 2016 at 10:36am J.C. wrote:
"...visitors who spend money in your shops, pubs, restaurants and car parks." 3 FOOD BANKS and counting in Lewes.
On 17 Oct 2016 at 1:16pm Charlie wrote:
May I thank you for your kind comments! I am glad to see more thumbs up than down. Just a couple of observations.
Clifford - How pathetic you are, thinking I work for a marketing company! I'm just a normal bloke who came to Lewes with my girlfriend to watch my football team play at the Amex.
Speedy writes that of course the railway car park is a third empty. So this just proves that there is plenty of car park spaces for the extra cars from the Premier inn. D'oh.
On 17 Oct 2016 at 1:44pm Captain obvious wrote:
Hi Charlie unfortunately it's not possible to have sign posts up for every venue in the Lewes area (that would be many thousands of sign posts), particularly a venue that has only just opened as signage does take a few months for the council to arrange.
On 17 Oct 2016 at 1:47pm Speedy wrote:
Hi Charlie, I think you missed the obvious point that the railway situation is temporary so after it is open again there won't be... But I'm pleased you enjoyed Lewes I had a quick look at the forums your way, I have to say about the same as ours so I don't really get your point.
On 17 Oct 2016 at 2:22pm Charlie wrote:
Hi Speedy. I'm sorry but I obviously don't know about the railway car park situation as I'm not from Lewes. My point on the parking was that on reading comments on this forum about the Premier inn parking, it seemed people objected to the hotel due to lack of parking. My experience this past weekend was to highlight to the moaners, that as a guest at the Premier inn, I didn't find the parking an issue.
You have a lovely town and as you correctly point out , we have many busy body moaners up here!
On 17 Oct 2016 at 2:34pm Speedy wrote:
Hi Charlie, don't let posts on this forum cloud your judgement of the area.
The fact is a lot of us enjoy trolling, most of the posts about the local area are best taken with a pinch of salt (due to us)...
Lewes is smack bang in the middle of the South Downs National Park, so planning is very rare. The hotel site does actually have a car park but the developers have chosen to try and turn it into residential housing rather than a car park. As a result a lot of people were very negative about the whole thing (add the trolls into that mix...).
On 17 Oct 2016 at 2:51pm Charlie wrote:
Hi Speedy
I certainly do take the comments with a pinch of salt .
I just wanted to highlight the experience and view point of my stay in your town.
One thing that is true though. Southern beer is certainly flat!!!
On 17 Oct 2016 at 4:28pm @Charlie wrote:
Lewes is known for it's large numbers of strange people with inflated ideas of their town. Many of them read the Grauniad, vote Labour, earn large sums and look down their noses Emily Thornberry style at the working classes.
The Premier Inn is much needed in a town without a decent hotel and full of over priced B & Bs.
It also replaced a monstrosity than some of the locals felt was great architecture. All it had going for it was it fitted neatly into the ar se architectural end of the town which is a bit of a dump.
My only complaint is that your lot didn't beat Brighton - a club largely supported by the middle class masses of East Sussex who have been lifelong supporters ever since the Amex was built and they got a foreign player
On 17 Oct 2016 at 4:42pm . wrote:
Charlie and justakid seem to share the same glaring grammar mistakes and overuse of exclamation marks.
On 17 Oct 2016 at 6:53pm Another B and B lady wrote:
Well Charlie, I do take exception to your comment about overpriced b and bs. The b and bs in Lewes are the same price as most B and bs in many market towns all over the Uzk. Have you actually stayed in any? If we were overpriced, no one would want to use us. We are all bursting with guests, all the time and turning people away. If you believe in market forces, then the market tells you that you are wrong.
On 17 Oct 2016 at 7:03pm @Another B & B wrote:
If the Lewes B and Bs are so great why was it they were all up in arms trying to stop the Premier Inn?
Could it be anything to do with Premier Inn being cheaper?
On 17 Oct 2016 at 8:17pm Another B and B lady wrote:
I was not against the arrival of a Premier Inn and caused consternation among one of the B and B groups for actively supporting it. I felt and still feel, that Lewes is tweeibly short of good rooms and the SNDP knew this and supported the hotel for this reason. It is also true that the two markets are different - most of my guests do not want to use a budget hotel: they want the individuality of a B and B and actively seek them out. The hotel has been open for barely three months and is always full. I have suggested it to several would be B and B guests when I have been unable to have them, and they have replied that the Premier Inn is full. Lewes is now totally reliant on tourism. Jobs are going in the town - Fujitsu leaving soon - and if and when County Hall relocates to Polegate Lewes will be very short of jobs. It is vital that we can accommodate visitors. I have had Swedes and Canadians in the last week and US Visitors coming this weekend. Lewes could probably use even more rooms and this is with nearly 20 airbnbs being available.
As to the Premier Inn being cheaper: they advertise rooms from 45 but try booking one at weekends and when they are nearly full. They charge 80-90 like the rest of us for one night at weekends. Premier Inns use sophisticated algorithms to keep themselves full and price accordingly.
On 17 Oct 2016 at 10:14pm B&B Landlady wrote:
The Premier Inn is considerably more expensive that the going rate for B&Bs - 130 for Saturday 22nd, for instance. And that's without breakfast: for that you need to add 9 per head. For most of this week the price hovers around 100 for a PI room.

As for the B&Bs being overpriced, I guess it depends on what you expect. You can get a single room for 37.50 with a simple breakfast and a shared bathroom. Or a double en-suite for 90 including a fabulous three course breakfast, for two people. You also get great local knowledge, free parking and a warm welcome.

I didn't oppose the Premier Inn either, and I'm guessing that it will have an impact. However there are some "hotels" in this town which are a laughing stock, and if the Premier Inn knocks them into touch, good riddance.
On 17 Oct 2016 at 11:03pm @all BBs wrote:
That's strange my nephew got a room with breakfast last week for 45
He's booked a weekend as well way below your mythical 130

On 18 Oct 2016 at 6:24am Resident wrote:
@ Another B&B. There was an anti PI group headed by a number of B&B's, as very few residents were aware of the original glass and wood design, like a car showroom, was proposed for the conservation area. Public awareness was raised and the design rightly thrown out. What we have today is way better,
It was nothing to do with prices, as most know that PI adjust their prices to keep as full as possible, yes there are some giveaway prices, but I heard that bonfire night is 200 a room, if so, hardly budget. Try booking a room for a weekend in a few weeks time and see how budget they are, don't forget to add on around 25/day for breakfasts and parking.
On 18 Oct 2016 at 6:56am Perplexed wrote:
I like the design of the PI. But did anyone ever get the chance to see rooms advertised for bonfire night at any price? It was full whenever I checked and someone told me that rooms had already been bagged for friends of PI employees - I am not sure if we will ever see PI Lewes availability for the 5th....

On 18 Oct 2016 at 7:41am Brown envelope wrote:
Perplexed: Makes sense, payback time for the planners and "friends of Lewes"

On 18 Oct 2016 at 10:18am B&B Landlady wrote:
Not mythical at all. Taken direct from their website (which is why I quoted the date). Your nephew probably booked well in advance for a fixed price non-refundable room; tonight the cheapest is 95. Or he was lucky and the hotel was half empty that night.

The point about PI is that they're a hotel. An empty room is lost revenue, pure and simple, because they're paying all the overheads anyway. Added to that they have a sophisticated system, like the budget airlines model, which allows them to offer rock-bottom prices if there's a lot of availability.

It's not the same for a B&B. I can't afford to offer a room for 45, because it simply doesn't make financial sense for me. The cash overheads for letting a room with fresh linen and towels and providing food for breakfast amount to around 20 before you even start about the cost of heat/light etc. The overheads for the PI are fixed whether or not the room is let.

There was indeed a group of B&Bs opposing the Premier Inn, but their main concern was that a hotel would put them out of business. I wasn't one of them either, although I fully agree that the process of getting permission obliged PI to come up with a design which fits very well into the urban landscape now. As Another B&B Landlady says, the main industry for this town must be tourism now, and the PI is a welcome addition to the accommodation ecology.

On 18 Oct 2016 at 11:19am Bert wrote:
"Accommodation ecology" What the **:**ck?
Only in Lewes
AAA HA HA HAAAA

On 18 Oct 2016 at 12:12pm B&B Landlady wrote:
Oh dear, Bert. Sorry if my vocabulary offends.

I meant, for the hard of thinking, "the variety of accommodation options which work together to provide something for everyone".
On 18 Oct 2016 at 1:03pm Bert wrote:
"Offends"?
Don't be daft.
What offends me is your habit of claiming the intellectual high ground with your sneery reply.
But then what else would I expect from the snooty Lewes middle classes in their large Grauniad strewn abodes.

On 18 Oct 2016 at 2:37pm Yet another B and B lady wrote:
Dear god Bert - that enormous chip on your shoulder must really hurt and be very heavy. Your sneery assumptions are extraordinary. Would you slag off, and make judgements, about other small business in the Town? Most B and B's are in ordinary houses around the town as are the 20 plus airbnbs. Everyone is trying to make a living and the town needs accommodation for the tourists who keep the town's economy ticking over.
Why do you single out B and B owners as snobby middle class people who live in Georgian houses! Please enlighten us.

On 18 Oct 2016 at 9:59pm Yet another B and lady wrote:
Ho hum Bert. I see you meant Guardian, not Georgian. But as before, what a huge chip you have and what sneery assumptions you make. I'd guess that a fair few bandb's are Mail and Telegraph readers. What's your rag of choice,; Mirror or Sun?

On 19 Oct 2016 at 5:42am Chav wrote:
Nuffink rong with the Sun, innit

On 19 Oct 2016 at 7:16am airbnb wrote:
Wossat ? An airbed and breakfast. Camping ?

3 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Tableau Sepp Blatter 26:132
Cliffe Tableau Sepp Blatter

Ignoring unhelpful name calling and relying on government statistics which show that the delta variant is the Indian variant... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington