Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Your / you're!?

On 30 Dec 2017 at 9:43am Archie wrote:
Assuming those posting here are adults and therefore have had several decades to learn when to use "your" and "you're" how come so many people still get it wrong??
On 30 Dec 2017 at 9:49am Q wrote:
Because it's too much trouble to put the apostrophe in when it is understandable without it.
On 30 Dec 2017 at 9:59am Gus wrote:
Archie, Pedants on this forum have told them till they are blue in the face, but they take no notice. For example, there is no verb "to of", as in "should of". It is "should 'ave", the apostrophe indicating the missing "h" in "have". I doubt they even know what a verb is. There is such a thing as wilful ignorance and it is alive and well on this forum - and may explain why they may not be in the kind of job they might aspire to.
On 30 Dec 2017 at 10:37am Claire wrote:
... And don't get me started on there, their and they're!
On 30 Dec 2017 at 12:39pm Deja Vu wrote:
It's amazing how many of you try to be the grammar police, presumably none of these comments are serious?
It's no wonder there's so many trolls, you invite them with your self appointed/opinionated posts. What business is it of yours what people do for a living or how they spell?
On 30 Dec 2017 at 12:49pm Archie wrote:
The result of poor spelling is that it undermines the (often valuable) point being made. When I read something I tend to assume (rightly or wrongly) that if it's badly written then the argument being made is equally flawed.
On 30 Dec 2017 at 1:20pm Grunge@Deja wrote:
@Deja Vu. Can't you understand that these kind Pedants are taking the trouble to better the life chances of these uneducated people? It may not be our business, but we are kind enough to try to help those who clearly failed to benefit from the time they were in school. What have YOU done to help them?
On 30 Dec 2017 at 2:24pm Deja Vu wrote:
Did you mean "grudge", oh how ironic that you mispell the first word of your post about how much your educating the illiterate... glass house, stones?
On 30 Dec 2017 at 2:53pm Pedro wrote:
It is a bit chilling that I find myself agreeing with Deja Vu here for a change.

The occasional typo and grammatical error are not worthy of derision. So long as the poster gets their point across and it doesn't become ambiguous due to errors, then there is little need to nit-pick IMO. Bad ideas are far worse than bad grammar or poor spelling.
On 30 Dec 2017 at 3:11pm Grunge wrote:
Deja Vu: could you please say which word in my post was not spelled correctly?
On 30 Dec 2017 at 3:13pm Arthur C Clarke wrote:
Deja Vu - your last post was only about 25 words long and yet you managed to squeeze at least 6 spelling and grammatical errors into it. You make it very easy to dismiss your views.
On 30 Dec 2017 at 3:14pm Archie wrote:
Grudge and grunge are 2 distinct words Deja.
On 30 Dec 2017 at 9:24pm Disgusted of Tunbridge W wrote:
Arthur C Clarke was? is? a repulsive ,self confessed pedophile. He was a 33 degree mason and possibly the most boring S.F. writer ever. Perhaps he was extremely grammatical but his sterile, esoteric philosophy stinks. Better call yourself Gary Glitter! Many apologies if it's your name as well but I can't stand the man.
On 30 Dec 2017 at 9:29pm Claire wrote:
Disgusted - Everyone needs a hobby.
On 30 Dec 2017 at 11:13pm Cliffe wrote:
Using "floor" instead of "ground" when outside is another common mistake (just watched Traffic Cops to my shame).
On 31 Dec 2017 at 12:05am Mavis wrote:
English has evolved over the centuries anyway. But the mobile phone and predictive texting has speed things a long.
Anyway
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."
On 31 Dec 2017 at 8:30am Gus wrote:
That's interesting, Mavis, and your example has proved it to be true. However, we have a beautiful language which is worth maintaining at its best.
On 31 Dec 2017 at 9:45am Captain wrote:
Yaw all sad examples of humans really aren't you, does it making you feel better deriding others?
On 31 Dec 2017 at 10:44am Gus wrote:
Captain: why don't you read the whole post properly, so that you understand the reason for the corrections, which are not as you seem to imagine?
On 31 Dec 2017 at 12:12pm Captain wrote:
I did read the whole thread, I stand by my comment. Does not picking make you feel like you're a whole person? How sad you constantly have the need to feel superior? FYI "should of" is grammatically correct in a lot of sentences. You should of not commented on that. The of is short for "of course".

On 31 Dec 2017 at 4:16pm Claire wrote:
Captain - you're joking, right?
On 31 Dec 2017 at 5:41pm Gus wrote:
There's none sa blind as them as won't see.
On 31 Dec 2017 at 6:04pm Twisted Mnemonic wrote:
There putting they're books over their.

On 1 Jan 2018 at 6:26pm Q wrote:
Deliberate error TM?
On 2 Jan 2018 at 11:15am Just saying... wrote:
Yes it can be hard for sub intelligent people to understand the difference between "your" and "you're", if you're struggling to tell them apart, stop reading the Lewes forums instead of complaining about it (the rest of us can understand just fine).

12 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Lewes Penny 119:132
The Lewes Penny

Come back Tom. None of it is meant personally and you know I really do like you in real life. I am interested to know what your... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like All the wide open spaces on the downs
Jojo