Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

You should all be ashamed !!!!

On 14 May 2011 at 6:24pm Observer wrote:
Whats with the first drumming group in lewes high street wearing badges stating T.I.T.S . I've since found out it was a pop at the tub thumpers (our Lewes Drumming group) who we are all very proud of and they work bloody hard . Well the outside drummers should be ashamed of themselves There was no need for it. Our Lewes drummers are good enough when they are needing their support on outmeeting and they have the bloody nerve to come into our town and insult our drummers . Personally i think the tub thumpers outdone them big time and many other observers said the same to. I also noticed lewes tub thumpers drumming in the other drumming team, well your actually worse for even wearing the badges and not supporting your locals. Shame on the lot of you !!!
On 14 May 2011 at 8:17pm Ssssshhhhh ... wrote:
They should ALL be drummed out of town.
On 14 May 2011 at 8:34pm News of the World wrote:
Shurely shome mishtake? There were no Lewes Tubthumpers OBSERVED in the ranks of The Other Drummers.
On 14 May 2011 at 8:45pm Observer wrote:
Oh yes there was NOTW.
On 14 May 2011 at 9:06pm News of the World wrote:
Clearly you have the power to see what Other Mortals, cannot, Observer. Because nobody else saw any of these alleged tubthumpers lurking in the midst of the Other Drummers ranks. Mainly because there were none. So don't make a complete TIT of yourself, there's a good fellow.
On 14 May 2011 at 9:16pm A Local wrote:
NOTW you are a pedant, perhaps that should read EX TubThumpers...
On 14 May 2011 at 9:21pm lucy wrote:
i thought the pentacle drummers were awsome, the best drummers there today. they looked great and looked like they all enjoyed what they were doing.
i know the others were local but at times they were not together, you could hear the missed beats and none of them smiled. it seemed like a chore for them,
im sure the pentacle drummers were having a laugh, they seem like a good humoured and good togethyered bunch.
On 14 May 2011 at 9:28pm Ssssshhhhh wrote:
Beat, beat,
your drums of war.
Be all you can be,
you can be no more.
Wave, wave,
your banners of gore.
gather your armies
from the ranks of poor.
Heed, heed,
The bugle's call,
& carve your names
On a stone-cold wall.
Beat, beat,
your drums of war,
then leave us in peace
& say no more.
On 14 May 2011 at 9:35pm Sunshine wrote:
I was shopping today in the town when i believe it was the Pentacle Drummers came in to the Main street and began drumming with all their hearts with the 2 large giants, ( How Fantasic this was ) because of them we followed them to the Priory and gave our support to the Grand Re opening, We stayed mostly all day looking at all the stalls and listening to the drummers, We listened to both of the groups and we (My husband and I) felt the best drumming group were the Pentacle Drummers, the other drummers in the black and white tabards sounded more like a marching band. Where as the pentacle drummers had us tapping our feet and clapping our hands and even had people up and dancing. Congrats to the Pentacle Drummers as if you had not of been in town we would of missed out on a fantastic day.
On 14 May 2011 at 9:46pm lemontree wrote:
i agree with sunshine, the local drummers in the black and white were to marching band, the snare drums sounded to be honest not good and we to could hear they were not together, they were also to uniformed again another thing that was to marchy and not really medieval. we gave them a chance though but were glad when the other drummers came back, they were louder, they all looked individual but also so together, so sorry but pentacle were the better drummers there today
On 14 May 2011 at 10:04pm A Local wrote:
gather you are all Pentacle members - this is a great publicity medium isn't it
On 14 May 2011 at 10:07pm lemontree wrote:
to A LOCAL NO im not a pentacle drummer in fact im a 71 year old woman who was there with my grand children,
i was just voicing my own opinion
On 14 May 2011 at 10:13pm Observer wrote:
It wasn't about the drumming skills it was about the fact that pentacle thought it would be funny to take the mick out of another drumming band by wearing those badges (T.I.T.S) even small children where wearing them which personally i found well out of order when i realised who they were directed at. The designer/designers of the badges need to take a look at themselves in the mirror because i personally think they are the biggest (T.I.T.S) for making them. And also there was atleast two ex tub thumpers in the pentacle band NOTW so put your glasses on. It's funny how people are running down tub thumpers but dont realise they call on tub thumpers services when they perform. Back stabbers comes to mind !!!
On 14 May 2011 at 10:21pm Sunshine wrote:
Just to reasure you all i am not a Pentacle Member, i just happened to be one of the lucky ones in Lewes today when they were playing in the town centre. As for the badges there is a good old saying for that "Sticks and Stones".
On 14 May 2011 at 10:29pm Not a Drummer wrote:
... and the Tubthumpers call upon Pentacle Drummers when they perform.
Not that this seems to please the audience, if the comments above are to be believed.
On 14 May 2011 at 10:30pm lucy wrote:
i also am not a drummer. and yes pentacle may have tried to have a laugh today with these badges but it seems its the other drumming group that is now name calling and causing unnecessary trouble,
On 14 May 2011 at 10:30pm Areyalocal wrote:
Thanks for your opinions Becs.
On 14 May 2011 at 10:40pm Nisus Wettus wrote:
not been so much fun on this forum since.... I cannot remember when...
Lucy your comments are libel - how do you know the "other" drumming group are posting here?

On 14 May 2011 at 10:42pm Greg Draven wrote:
@Observer.
Hi there.
I think a few points need to be qualified.
I was not there today performing with the Pentacle Drummers, but I am one of them, so I can speak on behalf of them.
Those members of the Tub Thumpers that are also members of Pentacle Drummers make up a small number of the overall membership of the Pentacle Drummers.
No drummer of the Pentacle Drummers is "Needed". When any drummer drums with us, the Pentacle Drummers, it is because they want to perform with us, not the other way round.
We don't 'call' on the services of any Tub Thumper to perform with us. If they do want to then great, if they don't, well that's just fine too.
The reasons that a few of the members of the Tub Thumpers have decided to become full time members of the Pentacle Drummers and leave the Tub Thumpers, are theirs, and theirs alone.
I believe that the badges were being worn as some kind of minor protest to the perceived undermining of the "Pentacle Drummers" being asked to perform at the Priory, by some of the Tub Thumpers.
We were asked to perform at the Priory because we have a newly formed history with Southover Bonfire Society who have employed us over the past two years to drum in their procession on 5th Nov, and are extremely pleased with the performances we give on the night.
Hopefully this can call an end to this thread and we can all sleep well tonight.
Many thanks for reading
Greg Draven.
greg@pentacle-drummers.co.uk
www.pentacle-drummers.co.uk

On 14 May 2011 at 10:44pm News of the World wrote:
Sir, I think you may have libelled Lucy. It was "A Local" who postulated that the "Other Drummers" were posting here, not Lucy.
On 14 May 2011 at 10:45pm spiderwick wrote:
oh what a shame this has happend...sounds like kids bickering. For the record i heard very mixed comments from the crowd about the drumming, on the whole tho praising Pentacle Drummers for their energy and sheer funness that they showed...thats probably why the oragnisers specificaly asked for them to perform..again!
when i asked what T.I.T.S stood for i was told that it was a JOKE directed toward the Tub Thumpers who had infiltrated Pentacle and gone behind their backs to secure a gig at Lewes Priory. its a shame that as Pentacle have worked closely with Tub Thumpers in the past..supporting them when they really needed it, that they couldnt simply have asked to drum with them again..like a few members ask to drum with pentacle for other choice events.
oh and no im not a drummer of either pursuaision by the way.
On 14 May 2011 at 10:53pm lucy wrote:
to nissus wettus....i havnt stated members of either drumming group are posting here, i only stated it seems to be the tub thumpers that are now name calling by the content of the posts by observer and a local for instance. i dont think a member of the public would have started this thread do you
On 14 May 2011 at 10:53pm SNITCH wrote:
And how is it known that it's an ex tub thumper that designed the badges for pentacle ? back stabber does come to mind. Both bands were good today and thats all that matters.
On 14 May 2011 at 10:59pm Ssssshhhh wrote:
It sounds like the sense of humour of the Tubthumpers is as limited as their sense of rhythm.
On 14 May 2011 at 11:08pm Roz wrote:
As Chairman of Pentacle Drummers, can I just say that we hope the Tubthumpers had as enjoyable day drumming at the splendid May Fayre as we did. We thoroughly enjoyed sharing a stage with them after their set when the combined group of drummers put on a stirring performance of one of our numbers "Off The Rails". We said goodbye on good terms, looking forwards to meeting them again in the Bonfire Season. Finally, can I congratulate Southover BS on putting on such an excellent event and for inviting the Pentacle Drummers to take part in it. Thanks also for the kind words from our audience! Roz South.

On 14 May 2011 at 11:11pm Nisus Wettus wrote:
NOTW you are both a pedant and misguided - where exactly did A Local postulate that Other drummers were posting here?
and Ssssshhhh your vitriolic sniping is juvenile are you DFL by any chance?

On 14 May 2011 at 11:16pm lucy wrote:
to nisus wettus

On Sat 14 May at: 22:04 A Local wrote:
gather you are all Pentacle members - this is a great publicity medium isn't it

On 14 May 2011 at 11:36pm Grunge wrote:
Crumbs!
On 14 May 2011 at 11:57pm Adam wrote:
Thank you Roz for your comments. As Chairman of the TubThumpers, can I just say that we're pleased that Pentacle had as good a day as we did. We also enjoyed sharing a stage with them - 30 drummers in full flight sounded terrific. We also enjoyed our other bits of combined drumming as an 'overture' to the play. I hope we get a chance to play together again soon - possibly at Pirates Day. May I also take the opportunity to thank Southover BS for organising such a splendid day. Great to see so many people down at our magnificently restored Priory. Thank you Southover for inviting us to take part in the celebrations. Adam Frost.
On 15 May 2011 at 12:22am understanding the need wrote:
Pentacle - professional drummers do paid gigs (saw them at Secret Garden party)
Tub thumpers - group of cliffe smugglers suppose to spice up their ranks
No wonder they made some joke or were slightly annoyed by Tub's being there, if someone less qualified came to do my job i'd be miffed
On 15 May 2011 at 8:41am Yawn wrote:
Yawn, blinking yawn, can we move on please....

On 15 May 2011 at 6:02pm Cliffe smuggler wrote:
There are no Cliffe Smugglers in the tub thumpers. Some are not even Cliffe. Don't bring Cliffe into this.

On 15 May 2011 at 7:28pm Cliffe member wrote:
... then why does their website - thetubthumpers.com - proclaim them to be "Cliffe's own mighty Tubthumpers"? With the initials "CBS" (twice) beneath the slogan "Skull Drummery"?

On 16 May 2011 at 1:10am IMEYOU wrote:
They are Cliffe , They practise at their yard and some of the players are Cliffe members . Just do want you want to do and stop bitching !

On 16 May 2011 at 9:52am Good grief wrote:
They drum, you drum, we all drum. Who cares, it's not exactly important, move along, nothing to see here. Try putting as much passion into a meaningful topic
FYI I am not associated with either group but having been called away out of Lewes over the weekend, sounds like I missed a great session! Well done all involved

On 16 May 2011 at 10:40am LDC Worker wrote:
This is what I call drumming.

Watch the video »
On 16 May 2011 at 1:46pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
We saw the drummers in the black and white tabards performing along the Cliffe. They were great, very jolly and very loud. Fantastic atmosphere and had IDM dancing along too. Seems like both groups of drummers are supportive of each other so why all the bickering on their behalf - just enjoy the drumming !
On 16 May 2011 at 2:15pm Clifford wrote:
I was on my way down to the station when they came along - it was a great sound and I was buzzing all the way to the station.

On 17 May 2011 at 11:21pm Pedant wrote:
love to know which definition of "professional" UNDERSTANDING THE NEED refers to - and indeed how you can afford tickets for The Secret Garden party?

On 19 May 2011 at 10:06pm Pearlie wrote:
Okay, I know you're on a 'roll' all of you, now can we stop 'banging ' on about it? Hahaha

On 19 May 2011 at 10:06pm Pearlie wrote:
Okay, I know you're on a 'roll' all of you, now can we stop 'banging ' on about it? Hahaha

On 19 May 2011 at 11:21pm observer wrote:
They practice at Cliffe's yard, they do alot of donkey work selling alot programmes on the cliffe bridge(most saturdays to the build up) of the event. Some door to door programme selling for the cliffe society. They also support them on the 5th of Nov and several outmeetingss at no cost so why shouldn't they get any recognition as being Cliffe members/ supporters, instead of being slagged off !!!

On 20 May 2011 at 8:56am observer wrote:
Im not a tub thumper nor pentacle drummer (but know both) so whoever thinks i am on this is so very wrong. I was there on saturday and was impressed with both. My argument to make things clear AGAIN is the badges the other drummers wore and we all know who the culprit is. Lewes is a very small town and news travels fast so we all know who the turncoat is. And do us all a favour badge maker, please stick to one name on this thread as using several gives people the impression that everyone is against the local drumming team when they REALLY are not!!!! Well done Pentacle and Tub thumpers, enjoyed my many .

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Lewes Arms Penny 56:132
Lewes Arms Penny

Greenie, this started as serious thread about cutting down trees, why are you trolling it? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington