Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Yet another planning application for Southdown's R

On 7 Aug 2015 at 7:20pm Newell Fisher wrote:
The application will be considered on 13th August in Midhurst at 10 am. Nice and convenient for Lewes residents who work.
Reference number will be posted when I have it.
On 7 Aug 2015 at 7:22pm Newell Fisher wrote:
Thread title should read Southdown's Road obviously.
On 7 Aug 2015 at 7:30pm Peasant wrote:
So we have a proposal for new housing on a long-vacant brownfield lot within easy walking distance of Lewes shops and services. Sounds pretty sustainable to me, albeit personally I'd want to see more social housing units rather than yet more unwanted offices.
Would you rather see the new houses that we obviously need built on countryside out in Chailey, Wivelsfield or Ringmer, where people will need cars to access key services? One to support I think. As the SDNP planners rightly suggest.
On 7 Aug 2015 at 7:31pm Pedantic micro manager wrote:
'kin obviously I just can't help it. And Thatcher closed down the helpers.
On 7 Aug 2015 at 7:37pm Newell Fisher wrote:
Peasant: how many affordable homes will be included?
On 7 Aug 2015 at 9:18pm xplorer1 wrote:
40% is what the applicant is saying
On 7 Aug 2015 at 10:14pm Angela Fisher. wrote:
xplorer1, have you read the application? There are no affordable homes in the application. You need to go to the planning site.
Before the previous application, Ray Charmak was so certain his plan would be approved, trees were felled!
This land is home to a multitude of wildlife, including rare birds that are close to extinction.
This is land that is full of methane and in the heart of the floodplain.
The plan is suggesting cropping mature poplar trees in order for the moneyed middle class to have clean back gardens.
Mr Charmak has had many applications turned down, he obviously believes in the sledgehammer approach.
On 7 Aug 2015 at 11:21pm xplorer1 wrote:
Angela - my mistake. It's 5 out of 79 affordable. And yes, I've been to the planning site. I'm acutely aware of the proposed felling of some of the poplars, and pruning of other trees along there. What rare birds are at risk? I've not seen any specifics on this aspect.
On 8 Aug 2015 at 3:43am Peasant wrote:
Just 5 affordables in this application, when there should be about 30 to be in line with the local plan. The excuse for there not being more is that the applicant will have to decontaminate the site, which of course costs money, and also has to provide the unwanted and unprofitable offices. Planners could have more affordables if they didn't demand the offices. What will really happen is that the offices will never get built, and the applicant will come back later to apply for more market housing on that part of the site. He will be successful.
On 8 Aug 2015 at 1:25pm Newell Fisher wrote:
So overall then a pretty dire application and worth opposing.
On 8 Aug 2015 at 2:25pm townie wrote:
Yeah, let's all oppose it because we can sit on our fat ar$e$ and press a button on the laptop. Pathetic
On 8 Aug 2015 at 3:50pm Bill wrote:
Is there anything in its favour apart from profit for property developers and estate agents. Seems a lot of people in Lewes are unhappy at seeing lack of affordable housing, destruction of trees, more traffic, lack of council transparency and public decision-making even? This is the way it is appearing, so if there is a reason in favour let's hear it...
On 8 Aug 2015 at 7:45pm Peasant wrote:
You got it Bill. But of course the development lobby does finance the present government, along with the hedge funds. The hedge funds have been rewarded with cheap RBS shares and the developers with profitable planning permissions. Or has old age made me too cynical?
On 8 Aug 2015 at 8:17pm Newell Fisher wrote:
Another brave intervention from Townie
On 9 Aug 2015 at 2:25pm cliffecat wrote:
The 5 that will be affordable........will they ? ? Housing associations are now allowed to charge tennants up to 80 % of current market private rent ! and its called affordable rent !!! 2 bed terraced house in hurstpierpont rent 800 pcm as an example of so called affordable housing NOT !!
On 9 Aug 2015 at 4:24pm Historically wrote:
HA rents have always been more than LA
On 10 Aug 2015 at 12:51pm Farmer Palmer wrote:
Given its history, and irrespective of current local and national planning policy, the site is contaminated and many tonnes of spoil needs to be excavated and treated. That suggests to me that the land is not fit for development (in any form) and should be left alone to wildlife!
On 10 Aug 2015 at 10:28pm Nimby wrote:
Does anybody have a better alternative proposal? Old buildings that cost lots to upkeep or new more efficient modern buildings and the hope of housing some of the many local people who need a home...
On 11 Aug 2015 at 5:19pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Well yes, don't build on it and turn it into a nature reserve. No developer will ever build anything "Affordable" in Lewes while there are still people living in London looking for over-priced four bedroom properties and the string of applications for Southdowns Road have all been terrible. Slap a compulsory purchase order on the land (Which acts as a huge sponge stopping the bottom half of Old Malling flooding) and turn it into a park or nature reserve which would still soak up rain water in the way that concrete and houses won't and will forever negate the threat of huge, ugly houses going up there and all the trees getting cut down.
On 11 Aug 2015 at 8:48pm Newell Fisher wrote:
What he said ^
On 12 Aug 2015 at 5:25am Sussex Dim wrote:
But you’re all missing the point. We want poor people to be homeless, not let them get on the housing ladder at all.
I grew up in a council house, then Maggie let me buy it cheaply so nobody else could get the housing help I needed. I’ve done my bit in supressing the opportunities of people like me, so developers and council not only have the right to do the same, they have a moral duty.
We also need to disband Labour, and discourage people from voting for them again so we can undo all the ‘good’ they did for us working class scum

On 16 Aug 2015 at 12:24pm newspeak wrote:
Part of the response from the Freinds of Lewes Society is laughable:
"There is currently a fad for planting fruit trees and the town already has a surfeit of apples come autumn, and at best the fruit from these will simply litter the ground. At worst they will be pulled from the trees, and the trees damaged."
Where are all these apple trees ???? Certainly not in the town centre!!!!

On another note - Ed can Do has the best response. Develop as a nature reserve - like the one down in Newhaven.

15 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Keere Street Cross 48:132
Keere Street Cross

Eddi: Amazon delivered your parcels to us today – you've got the wrong address in your account.

Please let me know what you... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa