Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Wycherley's still in business?

17
12
On 14 Aug 2017 at 10:15pm Perplexed wrote:
Has anyone dared to enter Wycherley's old office lately? I had quite a bizarre experience in there this morning when I went in to get some details of a house advertised in their window. It's a bit like entering a rather grim museum and I was 'greeted' by a rather strange woman, presumably the owner, who launched into a tirade of excuses as to why it was not possible to give me any details. When I asked about arranging to see it instead she went into a complete meltdown, complaining that she was on her own and didn't really have time to "run around doing viewings". I got much the same response when I enquired about another house. Again, no details available and she didn't have a key, so couldn't see that either! I gave up at that point and left as she seemed more interested in ranting about how much work she had to do! Are they actually still in business? It's a very strange way of trying to sell houses if they are!
14
22
On 14 Aug 2017 at 10:40pm Eric wrote:
I had a leaflet stuck through my letterbox last week advertising Charles Wycherleys new estate agents. Maybe there has been a falling out at the old place.
7
22
On 15 Aug 2017 at 12:58am David Brent wrote:
How are you spelling Hitchmo?
27
14
On 15 Aug 2017 at 8:50am A Person wrote:
Charles Wycherley has set up a new business, splitting away from his sister (who was presumably the person you encountered). From the evidence about town, it looks as if he's very keen to sell houses!
9
14
On 15 Aug 2017 at 4:31pm Old Malling wrote:
Charles Wycherley has started up on his own and his sister is running the old shop. It always seems to be closed when I walk past - I think she's struggling on her own.
21
6
On 15 Aug 2017 at 5:40pm I-know-him wrote:
She's barking apparently so Charles has left the family firm for her to run down. The whole place is like a step back in time so could be a Next in next to no time!

Check it out here »
34
13
On 15 Aug 2017 at 5:45pm Hot Lips wrote:
I like Charles. A proper gent.
17
16
On 15 Aug 2017 at 6:21pm Pearlie wrote:
Okay, so what happened was Charles left, opened up new offices, took most of the property with him and all of the staff. I know not why, I know not what had occurred but people talk highly of Charles so he must have had good reason. Charles sister did not know and was very upset. Someone I know rang the office and spoke to Anne and she was very upset. So Anne was left with little or no property as most homeowners went with Charles I believe. If you're looking for a property I suggest you try Charles office, a little further up the road. I don't know either party but I do feel sad for Charles sister and I'm. not really surprised she is devastated. I'm sure he had good reason but I don't like to see a family business torn in half, let alone a family.
10
26
On 15 Aug 2017 at 6:45pm Grammar Nazi wrote:
It's Charles's sister, you muppet!
10
16
On 15 Aug 2017 at 6:55pm Grammar Parking Warden wrote:
And what's all this business with "I know not what had occurred" Pearlie? Have you been reading Emily Bronte again?
17
14
On 15 Aug 2017 at 7:37pm I-know-him too wrote:
@Pearlie, you really don't need to feel sad for Anne. As most of Lewes knows what she is truly like, she has brought it all on herself by all accounts!
20
15
On 15 Aug 2017 at 7:52pm I know my toe wrote:
Charles did the decent thing and kept the business running so that he didn't upset his dad. When old Mr W died he was free to do his own thing. Personalities aside, he seems to be doing pretty well so far and his sister does not. That would imply that one of them is a much better business person than the other. Maybe that's what the partnership didn't last.
11
14
On 15 Aug 2017 at 8:00pm Observer wrote:
Pearlie I agree. Regardless of the family politics there's bound to be a lot of pain behind the scenes for all concerned. The new Wycherley website could do with the grammar and wording getting some attention if it's going to succeed.
13
14
On 15 Aug 2017 at 9:19pm Grammar Stasi wrote:
A true Lewesian is allowed lax grammar.
6
17
On 15 Aug 2017 at 10:08pm Me wrote:
Christmas is going to be happy in the Wycherley clan.
8
12
On 15 Aug 2017 at 11:35pm Local wrote:
Terrible grammar? From a teacher, of all people? Surely not! Tut tut, Pearlie...
33
4
On 16 Aug 2017 at 6:57am Charlie wrote:
It is of course sad ;no-one cared more about the family business and history than me ,however I am happy to have a business that I can now truly answer for and so for that reason I need to go and check my grammar!!
Don't blame Lewes Priory I tend to write as i speak !
I am very open so by always speak to me in the office if you think I did the wrong thing ,but I tried everything .
Best wishes
Charlie/Charles
21
8
On 16 Aug 2017 at 7:43am Lewes born wrote:
Awww. Love you Charles
7
15
On 16 Aug 2017 at 2:26pm Punctuation Police wrote:
Dear Charlie: wishing you lots of luck with your independent venture. Please remember: NO space before comma, full stop etc. Space AFTER punctuation to separate the next word, but after a full stop it's TWO spaces. Hope this is helpful.
14
10
On 16 Aug 2017 at 3:18pm Charlie wrote:
Thank you on all counts!!
14
13
On 16 Aug 2017 at 4:16pm @Punctuation Police wrote:
I'm afraid that two spaces after the full stop is now out of favour. It was only a ever a rule due to the limitations of old fashioned typewriters (with monospaced type). One space after the full stop is fine and generally has been for the past 20 years or so.
12
6
On 16 Aug 2017 at 4:36pm Good Wishes wrote:
All the best from me as well...
14
6
On 16 Aug 2017 at 4:42pm And from me wrote:
True gent!
3
2
On 16 Aug 2017 at 6:14pm Mrs Biddy wrote:
I would....
15
5
On 16 Aug 2017 at 6:18pm Lewes lady wrote:
Really good chap. Knows his stuff. In a age of faceless internet business, we need more people like Charles...hope all goes well for him.
4
9
On 16 Aug 2017 at 11:57pm Seller wrote:
How can you say that? Wycherley's are well known for over-valuing houses, and their stupid persistence with writing details from the roof down – contrary to all normal expectations that they are written from the front door up – just because that's the way that surveyors are taught, is plain ridiculous.
5
10
On 17 Aug 2017 at 3:00pm Belladonna wrote:
Our experience of Whcherleys and Lewes Estates was vast overpricing and misdescriptions. One house was described by Wycherleys as having four bedrooms. We went to view - the third and fourth bedroom were infant a loft space divided in half by flimsy hardboard. Laughable. Incredible.


10 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Normans Helmet 94:132
Normans Helmet

The media is full of evidence about drug use amongst senior Tories… and yet they are the ones pontificating ! More Tory... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like All the wide open spaces on the downs
Jojo