Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Wtf

On 26 Mar 2015 at 8:58am Politics??? wrote:
I thought this forum was to discuss what was going on in Lewes etc? All I can seem to read about here is sh^t politics and stuff that quite frankly "normal" people don't give two hoots about! This town has been over run by DFL's (down from Londoners) and they think they own the place! This is lewes not London!
On 26 Mar 2015 at 9:08am Grafter wrote:
I think you will find they do own the place...I mean the property in lewes and this website and publication.
On 26 Mar 2015 at 9:32am Webbo wrote:
I think you'll find they don't own this website
No idea which publication you're talking about tho
On 26 Mar 2015 at 10:52am nevillman wrote:
Hey Politics? Why don't you start a thread about a local issue that interests you rather than moaning about other people's threads.
On 26 Mar 2015 at 11:15am townie wrote:
It's a Lewes forum, nevillman, not somewhere to spout your political crap and inflict it on others.
Plenty of forums on the net for politics and this, unless it's local politics, isn't one.
On 26 Mar 2015 at 11:36am Sussex Vim wrote:
Well said this forum needs a clean up
On 26 Mar 2015 at 12:34pm Mme B wrote:
Well said. I was about to suggest Webbo might start a forum strictly for those who want to discuss politics.
On 26 Mar 2015 at 12:44pm Ostrich wrote:
Politics?Wassat then?
On 26 Mar 2015 at 3:39pm Voter wrote:
There is the Politics we could all talk about, with different views and opinions , and the 'Politics' being forced upon us here, where someone, thinking they are being clever in the run-up to an election, posts an intentionally provocative comment, not for discussion, but to promote a particular view, however inaccurately. So not a discussion thread, but a propaganda thread. The funny think is that if these people made an effort to be polite, they might actually succeed in winning a few votes for their preferred cause, but they are so rude, that even people who agree with them despair.
On 26 Mar 2015 at 4:14pm bastian wrote:
politics is local issiue but not when it is just prosletising a parties business for an election. At the end of the day, what is decided in London will affect us all-however, there is some right b*ll*cks on here about the economy that feels irrelevent to people in Lewes and can only come from the mouths of the newly monied few-they didn't make their money here.
On 26 Mar 2015 at 4:29pm Clifford wrote:
Comments don't come out of nowhere. People post them. Anyone complaining there isn't enough local stuff - and I agree - should start posting local stuff. Though when there is a discussion about North Street, St Anne's, Bill's, the court building, parking, bonfire, Norman, Ruth, fracking... people start complaining how boring it is.
On 26 Mar 2015 at 5:30pm Localresident wrote:
I don't agree. People have been put off the site by; obsessive grammar critics, excessive numbers of aggressive posts by just a couple of people, inappropriate personal comments about women and recently we have had a flood of Islamophobia . I am always amazed and pleased when SQ posts, (despite not always agreeing) given the nasty treatment she has experienced. Even the poor person trying to let us know about her innocuous cleaning product enterprise was insulted (and handled it brilliantly) I would expect all of this kind of thing on a site like this, but it is now so excessive that I have started looking at other similar sites.
On 26 Mar 2015 at 11:04pm Red wrote:
My Dad always used to say 'life's like a sewer, you get out what you put in'
Just like this forum I suppose, if you don't like the content just post something you do like.

On 26 Mar 2015 at 11:53pm Boy london wrote:
What's the issue with Londoners then? We ain't that bad. Honest. Only reason I live in this town is because the houses are cheap and easy commute to and from vic. I don't give people jip, so why all the hatred?
On 27 Mar 2015 at 8:35am bastian wrote:
fundamentally it is not your attitude, which I am sure is fine, it is that your moving here (presuming you had already bought a flat or something in London) has stuck our house prices and rent up beyond the reach of local wages forcing our youngsters out of town-that is a local issue. You didn't know, you are not deliberately at fault but there are some people smarting form the influx that has been huge.
On 27 Mar 2015 at 1:36pm Southover Queen wrote:
Bastian, Lewes isn't an island. Londoners are just as affected by nightmarish house price rises as anyone else - a one bedroom flat in a middling area for 400k? Rather than pointing the finger at Londoners, how about pointing the finger at successive governments who have completely failed to deal with a growing housing crisis, particularly in the South East? And, in particular, consider how access to affordable housing has been choked off pretty well entirely by selling off most of the country's viable council - publicly owned - housing stock 30 years ago.
On 27 Mar 2015 at 6:16pm Localbod wrote:
and completely failed to invest in areas with cheaper housing, and a need for employment. The 'not near enough to London' excuse is ludicrous in an era when technology enables many businesses to be economically viable in the remotest of locations.
On 27 Mar 2015 at 6:38pm Localbodagain wrote:
PS Bastian. I am not sure how you know that people are' from London' or what that means. Can one be genetically London-ish? Is apples and pears Cockernee, OK , but poncey-nob Mayfair not OK? Is someone from Croydon from London, or just London-ish? How long does someone have to have lived in London to be tainted with a Londoner identity when they move under 50miles away to Sussex? Do that many people actually live in London their entire life, and then move to Lewes? What if your entire family are from Lewes, but you lived in London as a student, and decided to move back to start a family? How many Lewes families have never moved in, or out of Lewes, ever. My guess is Zero.

On 28 Mar 2015 at 1:33pm TVviewer wrote:
I watched a programme last night all about how local people were being forced out of their homes by excessive property prices, created by an unregulated rental market, and people from outside the area distorting the market. It was filmed in London.
On 28 Mar 2015 at 10:20pm toryboy wrote:
"I am always amazed and pleased when SQ posts...given the nasty treatment she has experienced."
WTF? She doesn't hesitate to dish it out. There are few more condescending posters than her.
On 29 Mar 2015 at 9:19am bastian wrote:
SQ- you don't seem to understand the fundamental problem-the inflation of houses prices-thus rents, is viral.

On 29 Mar 2015 at 10:37am Southover Queen wrote:
"Viral" suggests that house prices sort of catch a cold and run a fever. The housing market is free, and the house price rises are symptomatic of there being more demand than supply. I'd say that was the fundamental problem: there isn't enough. So prices rise, perfectly predictably.

I think it's a huge challenge, actually. Housing is now so extraordinarily expensive that even people with steady reasonably paid jobs have enormous trouble paying for their homes, and that means that as a nation we invest every spare penny in bricks and mortar rather than in businesses. The amount of wealth tied up in real estate in the UK must be incredible. It also means that older people often rely on the value of their house to fund their pension, and that in turn means that doing anything which brings down house prices will plunge a lot of people into sudden penury.

So Lewes is not an island...

15 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

lewes penny 73:132
lewes penny

I think it is unlikely that the IMF will be involved at all in our deficit Tom. The government have offered to give lots of money... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina