Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Worried about Lewes celebration's

On 23 Aug 2017 at 11:43am Concerned wrote:
Good morning
I'm reasonably new to Lewes and have heard about the fantastic events that happen to celebrate guy fawkes night in Lewes, this year 4th November
I have also heard that the emergency services are concerned about a terrorist attack , lewesians how true is this ?
No sarcastic comments please
Please
On 23 Aug 2017 at 12:06pm Lateral Thinker wrote:
As with any large crowd, (such as Eastbourne Airshow last weekend) the Emergency Services will, presumably, be more concerned about possible terrorist attacks than in the past.
Lewes Bonfire will be no different, and probably no more, or less, likely a target than any other large event.
A full safety assessment of Bonfire is always made by the emergency services, and suitable precautions put in place to cover all expected eventualities, as deemed appropriate. But, as with any large event, short of strip-searching everyone attending or taking part in the processions, and short of placing concrete blocks on every single entrance into town (roads and footpaths wide enough to carry a vehicle) the risk of an attack by a lone operator with lorry, or wearing a backpack/belt/knife, will always remain.
Although the recent terror attacks have been horrific, the odds of any one person being caught top in an event is still far lower than the risk of being killed in a road accident.
So it is important to keep things in perspective - for example, most people haven't stopped flying away on holiday (even though a single commercial aviation accident often kills many more people than any of the recent terrorist attacks), a the risk of being involved in a plane crash is so small.
Nor do most people think twice about driving on the roads, even though far more people are killed and injured in road accidents every year than in terrorist incidents.
We just have to get used to living with the risk at large events - or, alternately, we all stay indoors, meaning the terrorists have won.
On 23 Aug 2017 at 12:09pm The Greek wrote:
Probably one of the sagest comments I've seen on here! ^^
On 23 Aug 2017 at 12:18pm Herbie wrote:
And very Thymely too!
On 23 Aug 2017 at 12:31pm for the many not the few wrote:
Whats also worrying is the possibility of a repeat event of the injuries inflicted on a raft race competitor by a firework only last month. Has anyone heard if anyone has been arrested over this?
On 23 Aug 2017 at 12:51pm Clifford wrote:
Why terrorists do that they do and how they win: They make everyone run round saying 'Oo, terror, terror, I'm so afraid, Oh make it stop Mummy'. Lateral Thinker is right.
On 23 Aug 2017 at 1:03pm Plebian wrote:
We tend to think of bonfire as a big deal but I doubt it registers on the radar of Isis or similar. Let's all keep calm and enjoy ourselves.
In the 90s people worried about the IRA but they were focusing on economic targets by then.
I haven't been to a big festival since I was a kid, do they search everyone going to Glastonbury?
On 23 Aug 2017 at 1:21pm Argel Tal wrote:
If anyone does get injured as at the raft race, it'll be someone in the crowd who'll have caused it, not a member of a society. The biggest threat of injury from fireworks stems from Percies still selling the blue rookies every society banned years ago.
On 23 Aug 2017 at 1:21pm Deja Vu wrote:
It'll be the same as last year, roads on lockdown from early on, extra police bought in, eye in the sky carefully monitoring the situation in the local area and a few surrounding miles...
The reality was somewhat different though, no noticeable extra police presence, plenty of cars driving around the roads that were closed (some tw@t in a van on the offham road driving through spectators with no particular care for their safety and totally unchallenged) and the eye in the sky was basically an aerial view of proceedings for the officers.
I didn't venture into the centre of town but I didn't see a single police officer on the north end of the route (unless I count the helicopter).
On 23 Aug 2017 at 1:45pm Worried about Lewes' wrote:
bleedin' illiterati. Another one joins the crew.
On 23 Aug 2017 at 2:39pm Fairmeadow wrote:
No vehicular access and large numbers of police; lots of members of the public armed with flaming torches and fireworks. Not exactly the sort of soft target the valiant soldiers of ISIS prefer. People on sun loungers or sitting in cafés and elderly people visiting museums are more their thing.
On 23 Aug 2017 at 3:13pm Town Flyer wrote:
And of course it isn't about Guy Fawkes for Lewesians, it is about the burning of the Lewes Martyrs.
Hope you enjoy the night 'Concerned', I wouldn't be too concerned myself.
On 23 Aug 2017 at 3:47pm Concerned wrote:
Lateral thinker
Thankyou very much , what you have said has eased my mind ....
Worried about Lewes . .. well your obviously perfect and for that I apologies that I'm an average person
Thanks for the sensible responses
On 23 Aug 2017 at 5:35pm Cliffe Richard wrote:
Celebration's and jubilation's... what a wonderful carnival it is @ Lewes in November
On 23 Aug 2017 at 8:57pm Worried for lewes wrote:
I have heard, through much more reliable sources than this dreadful forum that Boris Becker is campaigning for bonfire to be silent by 9pm. Bloody cheek
On 24 Aug 2017 at 12:45am Grammar Nazi wrote:
I refuse to comment on any thread with a grammatical error in the subject line!
On 24 Aug 2017 at 2:15am Ayotollah wrote:
As long as no one points out that Lewes Bonfire is a commemoration of the Five Martyrs of Shia Islam, we should be okay.

On 25 Aug 2017 at 1:02am Bob wrote:
I don't get the problem. It's not as if we burn crosses is it?
On 25 Aug 2017 at 12:57pm Monument man wrote:
We will be fine as long as we don't wear khakis and white polo shirts.....
On 25 Aug 2017 at 1:26pm Pith Off wrote:
No pith helmets either

17 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Dripping Pan View 34:132
Dripping Pan View

They're everywhere, popping up like mushrooms but much uglier. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the way streets have street parties!!!!!!!
JoJo