Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

World Cup in Lewes Pubs

On 19 Jun 2014 at 2:59pm Kevin wrote:
Which pubs are showing the World Cup games in Lewes? Which have the best set up and why? i.e. large screen, good atmos etc.
On 19 Jun 2014 at 3:03pm Dickie wrote:
Elephant & Castle is your best bet. Great landlord and atmosphere.

On 19 Jun 2014 at 3:50pm jo wrote:
the fruiteres arms or the dolphin
On 19 Jun 2014 at 6:02pm Lord land wrote:
Windmill , pewter pot, postal club , top legion , black and white , cleopatra s , three mariners , and off to the silver spray for a bag o chips after ,

On 19 Jun 2014 at 7:29pm 8 miles from home wrote:
Then off to blood alley for afters.
On 19 Jun 2014 at 10:08pm Lord land wrote:
Labour club , prince of Wales , , but in answer to the OP , don't look like there will be a rush for the next game
On 20 Jun 2014 at 7:21am The kronic wrote:
And the "Prick of the week" award goes to...............Lord land
On 20 Jun 2014 at 11:21am huw wrote:
Well, apart from the result it was great fun here (the Elephant and Castle) last night. We've got 4 TV screens and a projector downstairs. Upstairs we have an HD projector and put a bar in for the England matches.
It's slightly less lively upstairs so you can choose if you want to be in the thick of it downstairs or able to grab a seat and be able to talk to your friends in the function room.
(Blatant plug, but the function room is available for hire for a number of events. With the technology we have upstairs you could make it your own personal cinema)
Finaly, we will be showing the next England game on Tuesday. If Italy win today we are still in with a chance of qualifying.

On 20 Jun 2014 at 12:10pm Cuthbert wrote:
When I arrived at the Ellie I wondered why there were bouncers on the door and bag checks. Quite relaxed inside, a lot of noisy singing but all good humoured. Then Rooney scored and the place went insane, drinks going everywhere (saw one guy jumping around on top of tables sending drinks flying) and I understood the need for bouncers. Loudest cheers I've heard outside of Wembley. No trouble I saw, but a good raucous night. Thanks Huw.
On 20 Jun 2014 at 3:10pm huw wrote:
Cuthbert, glad you had a good time. Shame about the result.
I saw the fellow on the tables and had a word with him, just a bit of high spirits.
To be honest the bouncers were there to control numbers more than anything. It wasn't so bad last night but on Saturday with the Brewers closed we did reach capacity fairly early on. I think we were about 5-10 short of being full last night.
Also, they were there to police the outside and make sure there wasn't too much noise.
Bag checks are to stop people coming in with their own booze and taking the space of a paying customer (we did find a bottle of wine in the ladies toilet, but at 5.5% ABV I think they were robbed more than we were).
Hopefully the results will go England's way and we can progress to going out on penalties in the knock out stages

On 20 Jun 2014 at 6:11pm Old fella wrote:
In my day dancing on the tables was pretty much compulsory at the Ellie!

On 21 Jun 2014 at 10:20am Local wrote:
Pity the bouncers weren't working last night! That band were really uncomfortably loud right down the terrace.
On 21 Jun 2014 at 11:21am huw wrote:
Local, sorry if it was noisy last night. I did repeatedly go around the building to check noise and didn't think it was too bad. The problem may be that sound travels in odd ways and you were in a particular spot. We did make sure all the windows were closed and killed the music at 11 and I honestly thought that the volume levels were nowhere near what they are from other music venues.
We don't really do bands here much as we do try to think of the neighbours but please feel free to call the pub if you're having any issues. We do have a couple of bands coming up in the next couple of months and I will try to go a bit further afield when monitoring the sound on those occasions.

On 22 Jun 2014 at 9:31am Local wrote:
That's good to hear, but was the back door still open? The noise was booming right down to me.

On 22 Jun 2014 at 11:34am huw wrote:
Local, I'd also closed all the external doors but I suppose the bass of the drums can carry a bit. We do have a Spanish band next week and I will have a word about volume control when they get in.

On 22 Jun 2014 at 3:01pm Local wrote:
I'm sure I won't be the only one to thank you for that Huw.

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes inferno 69:132
Lewes inferno

Hello Lewes Forum, I have an enquiry.
Does anyone know of an enclosed field near Lewes where our delightful but errant 10 month... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like BONFIRE NIGHT, and of course all the out-meetings which go on around this time - and the loud bang at the crack of dawn!
Jojo