Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Wicked wickle

On 11 Jan 2012 at 11:45am Tim wrote:
Is anyone else horrified by the range of invertebrates encased in plastic that are being sold by wickle?

On 11 Jan 2012 at 12:09pm Mr Forks wrote:
Not yet, but this is the first I've heard of it! Doesn't sound very ethical?!

On 11 Jan 2012 at 12:40pm Dave wrote:
It's OK they are farmed especially for the purpose!!
On 11 Jan 2012 at 1:18pm Kettle wrote:
No, not ok. I will now boycott Wickle, which they probably won't notice as I never bought anything there anyway.
On 11 Jan 2012 at 4:06pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Not horrifed at all. Many shops have been selling such items for years. Including places like the Natural History Museum.

There's an argument that they are eucational - giving you a chance to examine up close deadly brown scorpions etc.

My daughter got one free with a wildlife magazine once when she was about five. yes - a children's wildlife magazine.

I leave everyone else to work out the ethics.

On 11 Jan 2012 at 4:20pm Kettle wrote:
Depends whether you think that animals are here just for our benefit.
As for educational- would,t a photo and a diagram do?
Would you think it was ok to breed and kill a mammal for this purpose?
Just because the national history museum does something doesn't make it right. They generally do a good job but they need to make money.
I think it's in pretty poor taste.

On 11 Jan 2012 at 4:20pm Kettle wrote:
Depends whether you think that animals are here just for our benefit.
As for educational- would,t a photo and a diagram do?
Would you think it was ok to breed and kill a mammal for this purpose?
Just because the national history museum does something doesn't make it right. They generally do a good job but they need to make money.
I think it's in pretty poor taste.

On 11 Jan 2012 at 4:44pm Pot Black wrote:
Would anyone feel so outraged if they (or anyone else) sold items made of silk?

On 11 Jan 2012 at 5:16pm Vampire Buffet Slayer wrote:
"No worms were hurt in the production of this batik"
On 11 Jan 2012 at 5:26pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Do you wear leather shoes, Kettle ?

On 11 Jan 2012 at 7:02pm observer wrote:
I would stop spraying roses to kill aphids or ban anti bacterial spray. After all even these beings have a right to live. Or does size really matter. Must go I have got to swat a fly.

On 11 Jan 2012 at 7:05pm bastian wrote:
it's wrong and I remember being told by bright ideas that they were not real...which they are.

On 11 Jan 2012 at 7:17pm Legionnaire wrote:
Brixtonbelle - You cannot be serious. There is a museum of forensic pathology in Thailand where you can see convicts who have been executed and pickled for all to see. It's educational so by your logic it must be fine then. Wake up!!!!!
On 11 Jan 2012 at 7:21pm Kettle wrote:
You don't want to go near me in plastic ones bb. Leather shoes are a public service in my case.

On 11 Jan 2012 at 7:33pm Tim wrote:
I assume you purchased that magazine for your 5 year old daughter brixtonbelle. Shame on you for being gullible enough to buy into this hideous practice. It used to be ok to collect butterflies and birds eggs until species became endangered or extinct. There is absolutely no need to kill any animal purely for our enjoyment and fascination. If you want to educate your daughter, a photo or the internet are much better.
On 11 Jan 2012 at 9:20pm Miscell Any wrote:
Has anyone actually checked with the shop to make sure they are real? Or is this just an assumption? I mean, why not just speak to the shop owners, rather than posting here?

On 11 Jan 2012 at 9:51pm Peter Piper wrote:
You don't have to travel to Thailand to see pickled convicts, there is a museum in London with various pickled people (or parts of people) with injuries (gunshot wounds, tumours etc) and birth defects (eg Siamese twins).

On 12 Jan 2012 at 4:42am not from around here wrote:
Oh boy! Only in Lewes could this even interest people let alone wind them up. What are they selling? Dead somethings? Who cares!
On 12 Jan 2012 at 8:08am Clifford wrote:
Absolutely right not from around here - people worried about this should take a look at the meat shelves at Tescos.

On 12 Jan 2012 at 8:21am Taff wrote:
Of course none of the ladies posting here would ever wear amber jewellery?

On 12 Jan 2012 at 9:46am Legionnaire wrote:
We should care and be worried about this. Insects are an important part of the ecosystem. What gives anyone the right to harvest thousands of these from the wild, only to kill them for our fascination? Meat eating is a very different argument altogether and leather goods are a bi product of this.
On 12 Jan 2012 at 10:11am Tim wrote:
I did speak to the lady in the shop. They are real invertebrates and I told her of my disgust. This planet would not only survive without humans, it would actually flourish. However, if insects were to disappear, it is likely that all other life on this planet would cease to exist.

On 12 Jan 2012 at 10:31am Clifford wrote:
Legionnaire wrote: 'Insects are an important part of the ecosystem. What gives anyone the right to harvest thousands of these from the wild, only to kill them for our fascination? Meat eating is a very different argument altogether...'

Except that there are millions of people who wonder what right we have to harvest thousands of creatures for our food. For example, 40 per cent of Indians (399 million people) are vegetarians.

On 12 Jan 2012 at 10:38am Legionnaire wrote:
Clifford my point was that there's a difference between killing for food and killing for pleasure. Being vegetarian myself, I find killing animals for food debatable but killing anything for our amusement is wrong on every level.
On 12 Jan 2012 at 11:22am Burger wrote:
Mmmmmmm beef burger with insect dressing =D

On 12 Jan 2012 at 1:13pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
I'm not condoning the practice of putting insects in plastic but frankly we are all exploiting animals in one or another.

The problem is that if we stop exploiting animals and all start eating soya we then start destroying other eco systems (large tracts of rainforest being destroyed for farming soya is one example). Yes I am a meat eater and yes I do wear leather shoes. I try to buy ethically as much as I can but frankly can't afford to keep everything local, organic or fair trade.

@Legionnaire - dead humans and animals are constantly being used by medical science to further our understanding, but I'm not suggesting for one moment that people should be executed to be pickled. But personally once I'm dead I will donate my body to science and they can use it how they wish if it helps find a cure for disease, etc. They can even put me in a museum in a bottle. Why are people so squeemish about dead bodies ?

On 12 Jan 2012 at 7:50pm Cyclist wrote:
When I was at school a long, long time ago, we used to have to dissect mice and rats (this was part of our A level Biology and we were examined on it). It was fascinating and no picture, video, or TV programme could substitute for the real thing. The rats and mice were specifically bred for the purpose. I have no problem with this as long as the animals were killed humanely and were looked after properly when they were alive. Now as for the invertebrates, I have not seen them in Wickle but are they invertebrates that are endangered? If not I see no problem with this whatsoever. Again I don't know which invertebrates you are talking about, but many have a very rudimentary nervous system and do not feel pain in the sense that we do. If you want to get on your high horse about this I suggest that you get hot under the collar about pigs being cooped up in farrowing crates for their whole lives or chickens kept in battery cages. If these animals encourage children to have an interest in Science and the Natural World I'm all for it. Nb there is a shop in Brighton which sells insects and other arthropods encased in lollies, how does that grab you? Or what about the tequila which is sold with a snake in it?

On 12 Jan 2012 at 8:05pm Deelite wrote:
Isn't it a worm?

On 13 Jan 2012 at 10:50am Independent Thinker wrote:
Brixtonbelle, not wanting to open up a debate on vegetarianism, but if everyone stopped eating meat that would help save the rainforest, not destroy it. Farming animals for meat not only needs vast amounts of grazing land, but it also takes about 2 tons of grain to produce one ton of meat. If we just grew crops directly for people to eat, and cut out the middle cow (so to speak) we could feed more people and/or need much less land. I'm not suggesting everyone should go veggie, but it would make a massive difference if people just had meat say 2-3 times a week instead of feeling no meal is complete without it. Would benefit the environment, improve animal welfare standards (no need for factory farming), go a long way to solving the food shortages we face, and be good for people's health as well. Win, win, win.
On 13 Jan 2012 at 11:33pm Eco Worrier wrote:
Vegetarians..... Think of the amount of rainforest that is destroyed for soya bean plantations! Funny how that is rarely bought up?? Sorry, couldn't resist!

On 14 Jan 2012 at 1:40am SHS wrote:
I'd love to see wheat growing on the steep mountain slopes currently grazed by sheep. And back to Wickle - if you speak to a taxidermist I think you'll find most, if not all, these boxed creatures are in fact 'road kill' or similar, certainly not bred for the purpose! Those seriously interested in breeding for killing should look at the 20 to 30 million pheasants bred and shot for fun in the UK every year.

On 14 Jan 2012 at 8:01pm Dave wrote:
Nope its a snake

View the picture »

On 19 Jan 2012 at 8:26pm Kettle wrote:
Cyclist - depends on which invertebrates you're talking about.
The butterfly analogy was a good one. We would dream of collecting them as display items these days, would we?

4 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Homeward bound 44:132
Homeward bound

Your condescending attitude can't hide the glaring absence of an answer to any of the points I have made, raving or not. Another... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington