Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Why cant we keep the one way system up the high st

On 31 Jul 2011 at 6:15pm Dan the man wrote:
Its much quiter - parking is easier, its no problem to go round to get to where you want to go. Alternatively close the whole high street and tell the cars to bugger off?

On 31 Jul 2011 at 10:07pm the old mayor wrote:
I read in the newspaper today - so it must be true - the government were concerned about the death of the high street and are reversing the last governments policy of being over zealous with the car parking regimes, and they are looking at scrapping the over priced car parking tax in order to save the high street. No mention of reducing business rates though !!!!
I wonder just how long it will take to filter through to Lewes ??
On 31 Jul 2011 at 10:14pm Bonfire boy wrote:
get rid of cars & motor bikes with big exhurst pipes driving through lewes!!
On 31 Jul 2011 at 11:22pm Landporter wrote:
Yes. How do those horribly noisy motorbikes get away with it? Get rid if all cars from the high street! Gimme a quiet life!

On 1 Aug 2011 at 10:39am Old Man wrote:
Yes, lets go back to horse and cart, so we wont notice the smell over Lewes as we will all be used to it on the street everyday!

On 1 Aug 2011 at 12:32pm ADT wrote:
Agree. The walk with my kids up the High Street to school in the last week of term was beautiful and quiet.

On 1 Aug 2011 at 2:33pm Ed Can Do wrote:
I expect the residents of Bradford Road and the Avenue are really enjoying getting all the through traffic and not being able to use one side of their roads for parking too.

On 1 Aug 2011 at 4:40pm Mercian wrote:
The simple solution would be to make certain roads in LEwes - including the High Street and Prince Edwards Road - dead ends with a pedestrian block in the middle. There would be no east-west through route at all for cars through Lewes, those wanting to get across would have to go via the bypass. You could compensate drivers / businesses by providing more car parks.
Another improvement would be to provide a direct link from the Ham Lane area to the bypass. You could provide more car parking down there to get rid of the through traffic while also providing a direct link from the station to the dual carriageway, meaning that commuters wouldn't have to drive through Lewes.
Just dreaming I suppose.

On 1 Aug 2011 at 5:19pm Penguin wrote:
Yes, blocking off all traffic throught the town sounds like a fantastic idea - to someone who doesn't drive, use a bus, get a cab, expect deliveries to get to shops, needs an ambulance or whose house is on fire and needs a fire engine in a hurry.

On 1 Aug 2011 at 5:22pm Ed Can Do wrote:
I'm not convinced that much commuter through traffic actually comes through town anyway though. I live in Malling and if coming from Brighton I'd always use the bypass as it's far, far quicker than trying to get through town. Judging by how quiet town is car-wise during the school holidays, a great deal of traffic is people dropping their kids at school. Either people need to persuade their kids to walk to school or we need more round town buses. At the moment there's one bus that does a bi-hourly figure of eight loop ruond Neville then round Malling, I'd have thought that even doubling that service would have quite an impact on cross town traffic (Assuming people were made aware of the service and it wasn't too expensive).

On 1 Aug 2011 at 5:44pm Mercian wrote:
Penguin - did you read my post? I said blocking off through traffic. You will still be able to drive into Lewes, for whatever reason, but you'd have to drive out the same side of town as you came in. I don't see how that would stop any of the things you mention. And for fire and so on of course you make exceptions.

Check it out here »

On 1 Aug 2011 at 11:04pm bazm wrote:
My vote for the noisiest stretch of road has to be Malling Street. The speed of traffic is horrendous. If only they'd built Cuifail tunnel up to Earwig Corner!
On 1 Aug 2011 at 11:46pm giveitarest wrote:
Mercian - every couple of weeks I drive around Lewes collecting a bunch of kids to go to a sports activity in Brighton. The idea is that all parents car-share and take it in turns. You'd rather replace that with two cars each trip; one from either side of the divide? It doesn't sound brilliant to me.
And say you lived just on the east side of the divide and wanted to head west? You'd have to go out through the tunnel, adding about 3 miles' worth of pollution to your journey. How does that make the world a better place?

On 2 Aug 2011 at 8:24am Boing wrote:
At the risk of getting shouted down - is there really any viable reason why anyone needs to drive their kids to school in Lewes? Lewes is hardly big enough that you can't walk everywhere pretty easily and quickly...
It may just be my naive opinion (I don't have kids) but I just don't get why kids need to be driven to school individually every morning... I never got a lift to school that's for sure.

On 2 Aug 2011 at 9:12am Tango wrote:
Ah Boing, life has moved on...it's a well known fact that if you don't drive the fruits of your loins to school they will be 100% run over, mugged, stabbed, shot, drugged and held to ransom all at the same time every day. It's a modern day fact!

On 2 Aug 2011 at 9:20am Boing wrote:
Ahh, that explains why many of them drive around in armour-plated, oversized, unnecessary tank-like automobiles... to stop all the evil in the world penetrating their little bubble of happiness?

On 2 Aug 2011 at 10:49am Ed Can Do wrote:
They need to put a mini roundabout at the entrace to Orchard Road on Malling Hill. That'd slow down traffic both up and down and also alow cars to get out of Orchard Road and turn right. At the moment, most people I know in the Spences Lane area drive the long way round either up Church Lane or over the bridge and past Tesco as it's nearly impossible to make a right turn out of Orchard Road at any tme during the day. One little road alteration would make Malling Hill safer, reduce the amount of traffic going past South Malling School and remove an unneccesary half mile extra driving for anyone heading west from Spences Lane.

On 2 Aug 2011 at 12:44pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
You're dead right Ed, another one at the top of Mayhew Way would help. The one at the bottom of the Avenue appears to work well.

On 2 Aug 2011 at 1:19pm Mercian wrote:
giveitarest - I am sure that my suggestion isn't perfect. Nevertheless it teh amount of traffic in the centre of town is something that all visitors in Lewes (and especially continental Europeans I know, given that most historic towns there appear to really restrict cars) seem to notice. The speed at which some drivers move around is also a problem given the size of the pavements.
More importantly, the council seems to pay far more attention to helping cars move around than helping pedestrians. There are all sorts of places where you have to take your life into your hands to cross the road - the most obvious is the lack of a decent crossing from Waitrose to the bus station.
I'm not anti-car at all but I do think that in a busy town pedestrians, who are more numerous and take up far less road space, should be prioritised over cars. Cars should have to give way to pedestirans at all times in such areas. That's not a view that the councils here seem to have.

On 2 Aug 2011 at 1:45pm Penguin wrote:
Yes I did read your post Mercian, and having looked at the link you posted I am even more bemused. What would you say constitutes through traffic? A taxi from Waitrose to Western Road for instance is not what I would call through traffic, but with your plan it would have to go round the one way system, out through the tunnel, along the bypass, and back into town past the prison. That taxi would cost much more, use much more fuel (thus creating much more pollution), and it would still actually drive just as far within the town, if not more, as it would had it gone directly up the High Street. So, where is the advantage to anyone in that?

Similarly a 40' lorry delivering to a shop in the High Street is not through traffic, but somehow this lorry would have to turn round and leave town by the way it came in? Perhaps along with the barriers in the road we should knock down a few shops along the High Street to make a large enough turning circle (or two as you would need one for both halves of the town I guess)

Am I to understand from your link meanwhile, that you are comparing the traffic in Lewes with that in Zurich, Munich, Vienna and Copenhagen? Hardly the same thing is it?

On 2 Aug 2011 at 3:30pm Road King wrote:
Hey why don't we put roundabouts everywhere. Then we could change the name from Lewes to Milton Keynes 2nd and DFL's would run a mile.

On 3 Aug 2011 at 9:32am EbeneezerHowOdd wrote:
Errr, Milton Keynes was build to house Londoners and is entirely populated by people who have moved out of London. You might get a slightly lower class of DFL though - hoodies and trackies rather than flat caps and barbours.

On 3 Aug 2011 at 11:56am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Actually, Milton Keynes was built for people from all over the country. In the 80s there .were huge incentives for companies to relocate there, and many did, taking their staff with them.
My late parents lived there, and my mum found it very strange that one of the first questions people asked each other when they got chatting was "Where are you from?" because everyone was a migrant. Her neighbours were from Bradford, Bath and Bristol.
I've never understood why they named it after 2 economists, personally. It's a very strange place.

On 3 Aug 2011 at 12:14pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Spent a fortnight there one weekend!!

On 3 Aug 2011 at 1:32pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
You could spend a fortnight trying to find your way around! I only bought a satnav because it's such a nightmare up there.
Nice John Lewis's though.

On 3 Aug 2011 at 3:10pm EbeneezerHowOdd wrote:
Annette - it's not named after two economists, it's named after the village of Milton Keynes, which lies within the MK grid system and (I think) is mentioned in the Domesday Book:

Check it out here »

On 3 Aug 2011 at 5:24pm Mercian wrote:
Penguin - it was just an off-the-cuff idea. But I do think traffic ruins Lewes. And in particular I hate the way cars are given prioirity and pedestrians are treated as second-class citizens. We get so used to it in the UK and it is only when you go to European towns or cities that you realise how all urban planners kowtow to the motorist. As the guy in the linked article says: "??When I??m in other cities, I feel like I??m always waiting to cross a street. I can??t get used to the idea that I am worth less than a car.?

10 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Elly Angel 124:143
The Elly Angel

Examining the activity of the sun and assessing its influence on the earth's climate may well provide entertainment to some Tom... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde