Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Why are Bunce staff so rude?

On 1 May 2015 at 12:39pm Hello? wrote:
I really try to shop local but I've given up on Bunce since I got jeered at this morning by 3 members of staff. Maybe they're underpaid and unhappy? Wish they wouldn't take it out on me.....
On 1 May 2015 at 1:28pm Hallo again wrote:
Yes I noticed that some time ago and haven't been back since. I suppose they think they have a captive market.
On 1 May 2015 at 1:58pm Hello hello wrote:
WTF? were you actually jeered @ out loud - or a sniggering they hoped you couldn't hear. They'd have heard what I'd have said to them
On 1 May 2015 at 2:04pm Hello? wrote:
Hello, Hello Hello [arrgh, this could get silly :-)] - I won't go into it but certainly one of them really did shout a mocking word at me as I left the shop. Hard to believe, as I hadn't done anything but politely buy some stuff. I just feel really shaken. My problem, I agree!
On 1 May 2015 at 2:06pm Tipex wrote:
I'm astonished Bunces are still going. I thought they weren't long for this world years ago and now that they sell even less stuff it can only be a matter of time before we're treated to a new barbers or café / saucepan outlet...
On 1 May 2015 at 2:14pm Mocking word - !! wrote:
You are understandably shaken - it's NOT your problem . I for one will boycott them
On 1 May 2015 at 2:35pm Hello? wrote:
Thanks, Mocking Word - it would be different if I'd been aggressive etc, but no - twice I waited in an empty shop to be served while the 3 staff had a conversation (about hair), so the second time of waiting, as I didn't seem to be noticed at all, I eventually said politely 'Hello?' and this caused major offence. I still can't believe they behaved like that. I was one of their loyalest customers. Oh well!
On 1 May 2015 at 2:45pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
You're not alone - I've always found them a bit odd. It's mainly people like my mum, who can't make it as far as Homebase and has never used the internet, who keep them going.
Another local shop I always find a bit tricky is the key cutter near Bunces. Despite always remembering to bring enough cash, I still end up feeling as if I've done something wrong.
On 1 May 2015 at 5:51pm Historian wrote:
Thing is with Bunce's I find, is that they can't decide whether they are a self service shop or the assistants are actually there to serve and not just be cashiers. If you ask for any help, they aren't helpful are they. Best avoided and go elsewhere, only to be used in emergencies! The Burgess Hill shop completely different !!
On 1 May 2015 at 9:20pm Tda wrote:
I've had a similar experience. It's a shame but if they can't get their act together...
On 1 May 2015 at 10:30pm Totally100 wrote:
In complete agreement... How are they still in business?? Unhappy, rude and unhelpful... And have so little stock it's almost not worth trying!!
On 1 May 2015 at 10:33pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
On the subject of chains where the Lewes branch is worse than the usual standard, what about Caffe Nero? The staff (sorry, BARISTAS) faff around and let queues build up rather than stop what they're doing and muck in. Bring back Joe Lyons!
On 1 May 2015 at 10:53pm Horseman7 wrote:
Bring back the Polar Bear.
On 2 May 2015 at 7:05am Jack cohen wrote:
And another good local business gets assassinated on here. Shame on you.
On 2 May 2015 at 8:24am SHS wrote:
When will people learn what customer service is? Having lived in other countries I can tell you it's a far cry from what most businesses in England offer. Hardly a surprise that more and more people are using super-stores or going on-line for there needs. One local family-owned business told me, when I queried there high charges compared to their competitors, 'we have enough customers so don't need any more'(!).
On 2 May 2015 at 8:42am Earl of Lewes wrote:
Jack Cohen - Bunces is a small, regional chain of six shops, not strictly a local business. The Lewes branch is not 'good' enough. The range of stock is fine, but the staff aren't up to much. I used to run bookshops for a chain and my staff knew that making a customer wait while they were chatting or putting stock out was unacceptable. For three members of staff to chat about hair while a customer is clearly waiting isn't on. The owner needs to remind them that the customers are the reason they're there.
On 2 May 2015 at 8:50am bastian wrote:
I've never had problems with the staff in Bunces, perhaps ones own manner can affect a response, personally I have always found them most helpful, if a little in the pocket of their parent branch in Worthing, but then so is the wood yard.
On 2 May 2015 at 9:12am Branch Manager wrote:
I am shocked and deeply dissapointed at the comments posted but do take on board everything that has been said. Bunces have spent a lot of time and effort, in very challenging times,on the layout of the Lewes shop and increasing stock ranges to improve your shopping experience.
I would like to invite you all to contact myself to discuss your shopping experience with Bunces.
Charlie Moore 01273 480222
lewes@bunces.net
On 2 May 2015 at 9:37am Hello? wrote:
Well done, Charlie, for coming onto this thread. Yes, I've written to you about the incident. I think that you have quite a good range of products, and I'm sorry that I don't feel able to go into the shop any more.
Jack Cohen, no-one's more devoted to supporting local businesses than I am, but the way that I was treated was right out of line. Bastian, my manner really was gentle, polite and amiable - I'm not the sort who throws their weight about. Incidentally, could this thread come up with some good (printable!) ways of attracting the attention of staff when they're chatting and you're waiting?
On 2 May 2015 at 9:45am Tipex wrote:
Yes well done Charlie for having the guts to be open to direct comments.
On 2 May 2015 at 10:43am Clifford wrote:
Earl of Lewes wrote: 'Another local shop I always find a bit tricky is the key cutter near Bunces. Despite always remembering to bring enough cash, I still end up feeling as if I've done something wrong.'

Exactly the same experience Earl. When I took a just cut key back for the third time because it still didn't work he acted as if it was my fault. A very miserable man.
On 2 May 2015 at 11:00am Shopper wrote:
Hello: how about " I'm sorry to interrupt but my parking is about to run out...." A Lewes shop assistant who ignores that would have no customers.
On 2 May 2015 at 11:04am Mavis wrote:
Charlie Moore wants to start sending in secret shoppers for some random items, then he can see for himself. Or get Mary Portas in. Love her for stating the bleeding obvious !! (Which the owners never seem to see)
On 2 May 2015 at 11:27am Horseman7 wrote:
Hi Charlie,
Top marks for responding. Now that I've got over my yearnings for the Polar Bear, a couple of thoughts on your emporium.
I love your stock and have lost count of the number of times I've found what I wanted all along, having tried and failed in Eastbourne, Brighton and Crawley, when all i had to do was stroll down from Malling.
I think there's room to increase your stock further although I appreciate this carries a cost. Would it be an idea to give your customers questionnaires, enquiring what else they would like to see on sale?
I've never had a problem with any of your staff and have always found them knowledgeable and helpful. That said, other customers have clearly been less fortunate. I suspect a bit of staff training could do the trick. Would it be an idea to bring in an independent trouble shooter, along the lines of Mary Portas, for a day or two?
Hello? would appear to have endured a miserable experience and I truly feel for them. I suffered a similar pasting in Maplins a few weeks ago and it will be a long time before I darken their door again.
I hope you are able to have a useful dialogue with Hello? and resolve the issue. You both sound like very reasonable people.
Good luck with the future of your business. You may be part of a small chain but it feels local to me.
Best wishes.
On 2 May 2015 at 3:33pm Clifford wrote:
Horseman7, I'm afraid Mary Portas is the Kiss of Death for shops.
'More than half of stores helped by Mary 'Queen of Shops' Portas on her BBC show have closed.'

Check it out here »
On 2 May 2015 at 5:45pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
Full marks to Charlie for coming on here. My advice would be to ask your staff to not make customers feel as if they've walked into a private social club. It's good that they all get on with each other and seem happy - the last thing I'd want to see is a shop full of people who look terrified and miserable - but if the staff could show a bit more professionalism I think it would help. I'd much rather support a high street shop than a big superstore, so I'll try Bunces again in a few weeks, in the hope that there will be improvements.
On 3 May 2015 at 12:22am Tda wrote:
They could say, "Good morning, how are you, can I help?"
It's not hard.
On 3 May 2015 at 8:02am Earl of Lewes wrote:
Let's skip the "How are you?" nonsense. I can't stand that, because it's pointless American-style insincerity. They don't really want to know how I am and I certainly don't want to tell them. Those clothes shops with over-enthusiastic young puppies are the worst. A simple "Good morning" will do, telling me that my existence has been acknowledged and that they're there to help if I need it.

On 27 Feb 2018 at 12:11am Wise Owl wrote:
Posted on another thread and then we found this one. We were treated very badly on Monday at the Lewes Bunce's store. We used to recommend the store all of the time, but we can't do that now because people are being treated with great lack of respect. We watched as people were ordered and bossed around. No chance to look around the store at all. It was more a case of what do you want and get out. Very bad customer service and we certainly will not be going back or recommending to others.

8 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Town Clock 88:132
Lewes Town Clock

'The sooner politics gets out of the way of medicine the better for all concerned.'

Health is a political issue. Thaty's why... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell