Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Whitney Houston

On 12 Feb 2012 at 3:14pm observer wrote:
What a waste of a beautiful woman with an amazing voice. Lets hope that the youngsters who are tempted to experiment with drugs think twice. Drugs can kill the poorest and the richest there is no discrimination. I feel so sorry for her family, who like Amy Winehouses family tried in vain to help them but to no avail.
On 12 Feb 2012 at 5:43pm Clifford wrote:
And let's not forget George Best, who died from his alcohol intake. Let's hope that youngsters who are tempted to experiment with alcohol think twice. Alcohol can kill the poorest and the richest, there is no discrimination.
I'm now off to the Lewes Arms.

On 12 Feb 2012 at 7:05pm jrsussex wrote:
Yet another fantastic entertainer dead from the mis-use of drugs, what a terrible waste. Will they ever learn?
And yes the same comments can be laid at the door of alcohol but never make the mistake of blaming the product. It is its mis-use, whether drugs or alcohol, by people that causes the problem.
On 12 Feb 2012 at 7:09pm Clifford wrote:
Exactly jr.
On 12 Feb 2012 at 8:21pm Paul Newman wrote:
I met George Best in the Dover Street Wine Bar once ( I think everyone did ), it was bloody tragic seeing this wreck hanging around the bar hoping some young girl would recognise him.
The 60s were a disaster for some people

On 13 Feb 2012 at 8:11am simon wrote:
I bet that cheered him up.
On 13 Feb 2012 at 8:29am The Twister wrote:
i am of course sorry that she died so tragically but to me she was just some skinny tart who knocked out some annoyingly loud tunes in the 80s. Why is she being lionized as the "greatest diva' the world of music has ever known..........

On 13 Feb 2012 at 8:37am The Twister wrote:
Whilst I am capable of lending an appreciative ear to the warblings of the late Ms Houston, I cannot condone the needless self inflicted destruction of anyone who drinks to excess or takes other pharmaceutical stimulants in the pursuit of self gratification.That's it... I've said my bit. Just off to Boots to pick up my script and have a couple of snifters in the Gardeners on the way home.....tally ho !

On 13 Feb 2012 at 9:16am Clifford wrote:
Paul Newman wrote: 'The 60s were a disaster for some people.'

I'm still wondering what George Best's drinking has to do with the 1960s as an era. Are you saying Paul that had he been an active player in the 1930s or the 1980s he wouldn't have drank?
On 13 Feb 2012 at 10:16am Teacher wrote:
My mum tells me that my gran died through drink. I said I did not realise she was an alcoholic. She said she wasn't, your Grandad came home drunk one night and shot her.
On 13 Feb 2012 at 10:39am Bobbi wrote:
Drink killed my father. He was run over by a Guinness lorry.

On 13 Feb 2012 at 11:32am mrs doubtfire wrote:
ah bobbi bobbi bobbi , great film wasnt it ,
On 13 Feb 2012 at 11:35am Clifford wrote:
While we're at it, my grandmother was an alcoholic (a Senior Service smoker as well). Drank herself silly till she was 60 and then joined AA. She lived to 96, spending te money she used to spend on drink going on coach tours in Europe.

On 13 Feb 2012 at 12:53pm sally wrote:
whilst Whitney had drug and alcahol problems there is nothing yet to say she died from drugs, have respect.
On 13 Feb 2012 at 1:54pm Clifford wrote:
You're right Sally, and that's why I found it distasteful for Observer to hang a sanctimonious little homily about drugs on the death (cause, as yet unknown) of a well-loved singer.

On 13 Feb 2012 at 3:47pm Amelia74 wrote:
Observer wrote 'Lets hope that the youngsters who are tempted to experiment with drugs think twice'.
It seems that the drugs near Whitney's body were prescribed drugs. Are you saying that she shouldn't have been taking what was prescribed for her? She may have had mental health problems and had a medical need for them. This is very different to taking recreational drugs (even if she had taken recreational drugs in the past).
Sally and Clifford are spot on.

On 13 Feb 2012 at 3:55pm jrsussex wrote:
Why not stop jumping to conclusions? Until the coroner gives a verdict all is simple conjecture. However whilst I take on board what Sally and Clifford are saying the fact is that if she died from prescribed medication she will not be the first international celebrity to have done so. Whether the drugs are prescribed or not/illegal or not is immaterial if it is the abuse of them that has led to the death. In regard to prescribed medication Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson are just two of a long line that come to mind.
On 13 Feb 2012 at 4:36pm Clifford wrote:
I agree jrsussex. The media encourage this kind of sensationalist jumping to conclusions. I wish the media would instead encourage treating people (whoever they are) with some dignity in their death. It's the least we expect for ourselves so why not extend it to others?

On 13 Feb 2012 at 6:40pm observer wrote:
Sally and Amelia74 are you sure you are not one and the same. I never said Whitney died from the drugs but I am sure they contributed to her sad downfall. And yes I did have respect for her so stop stirring things up. And Clifford why are you jumping on the bandwagon, perhaps your turning in to a troll as well.

On 13 Feb 2012 at 6:53pm Clifford wrote:
Observer, you started this thread by trying to use the deaths of two unfortunate women singers to power your bandwagon. It's nothing to be proud of.
On 13 Feb 2012 at 7:33pm observer wrote:
Clifford I have been reading your past threads and quite honestly I think you are a prat. Two unfortunate women singers, you try telling that to their parents they know what caused the wasteful deaths of their daughters. Go on make another joke about George Best, thats about your level.
On 13 Feb 2012 at 8:24pm Clifford wrote:
A basic lesson we all learned when we were young, Observer, is that you don't do your case any good by being abusive.

On 13 Feb 2012 at 8:36pm observer wrote:
Perhaps your remark about me powering my bandwagon wound me up as it was so untrue. After reading your thread about smoking is good for your throat and you have to wear long shorts because of your large tackle I should not have taken you so seriously. After all its nothing to be proud of when you walk like you"ve messed yourself.

On 13 Feb 2012 at 9:01pm Clifford wrote:
You're becoming incoherent Observer. An early night may do you good.

On 13 Feb 2012 at 9:25pm supporter wrote:
A long walk off a short pier might do you some good clifford.
On 13 Feb 2012 at 9:47pm Teacher wrote:
I agree supporter Clifford comes across as a very immature person.

On 13 Feb 2012 at 9:59pm Deelite wrote:
How odd.. Clifford's comments have always seemed well-reasoned and intelligent to me. More than I can say of many others who've posted here.

BTW. Are you really a teacher?

On 13 Feb 2012 at 10:09pm Teacher wrote:
Funny you should say that but his comments on this thread were rather goading. Perhaps he is going senile. BTW. Are you really a deelite.

On 13 Feb 2012 at 10:20pm Deelite wrote:
I'm definitely not a deelite. Hopefully you're not a teacher either.

Clifford's reaction seems understandable in the light of observers usual skin-crawling comments.

On 13 Feb 2012 at 10:53pm Southover Queen wrote:
Yes, but trying to explain Clifford's jokes to the hard of thinking is a lost cause, I think.

On 13 Feb 2012 at 11:25pm Feminist wrote:
Its strange how a thread can start off so serious. And end up with Southover queens barbed remarks. Plus a few morons in between. Rest in peace Whitney.

On 15 Feb 2012 at 10:08pm Headmaster wrote:
I have no sympathy for the woman, sorry. She clearly had a drug problem (whether prescribed or not-don't forget methadone is a prescription drug, not that I am suggesting that is what she was taking). People that deserve our sympathy are those that are battling terminal illness, not those who have brought it all on themselves.

On 19 Feb 2012 at 8:36pm madge wrote:
I hate when people make comments like Headmaster above. Most of us thankfully have no idea what it must be like for people like Whitney and their families, what makes them take the wrong road and the struggle that follows. Yes they made the wrong choice initially but we all do that at some time in our lives. You have no right to self righteously judge, in todays society it could so easilly be any one of us on here's loved ones that takes that path. How can you not sympathise - shame on you.

On 19 Feb 2012 at 9:05pm madge wrote:
Headmaster - Everyone who is suffering in any way deserves some sympathy and support. Even some of those people battling terminal illness will admit to making poor judegements regarding their health at times in their lives that they now regret - you cant say they brought it on themselves and deserve to suffer.

3 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Starfish Studios Lewes 109:132
Starfish Studios Lewes

any keyring? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa