Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Whither Southover display

On 12 Oct 2014 at 9:27pm Jen wrote:
Sorry to be ignorant on this - is Southover NOT having their display on Convent Field this year?
I ask as a Priory Street resident who normally watches it out of her bedroom window..
thanks.
On 12 Oct 2014 at 10:04pm Feck Sake wrote:
Are you Blind as well Dim Jen ?
On 12 Oct 2014 at 10:24pm Fox ache wrote:
You`ll only see us foxes from your window this year
On 12 Oct 2014 at 11:31pm Not involved wrote:
I don't know the background of this but I am glad we didn't join Southover - they seem quite rude when answering people's questions.
Matt - any chance of goodwill to Priory Street? Is this how we want locals questions to be answered?
We are all Lewes residents, one may have a go at an alternate BF society (for Banter), but not ordinary people, that is just not on.
Sort yourselves out - you are showing your youth.

On 13 Oct 2014 at 9:28am Gullible wrote:
@Not Involved : Why on earth do you think the rude replies on here are actually from Southover?
On 13 Oct 2014 at 12:18pm Another Bonfire Society wrote:
No Southover are not having a Bonfire Display. Ask the Kings Head, I did!
On 13 Oct 2014 at 12:47pm ELV head wrote:
Good...one less pile of litter, drunks and unnecessary noise
On 13 Oct 2014 at 2:02pm ELV is wrote:
Thankyouvermuchgoodnight
On 13 Oct 2014 at 4:55pm North of Lewes wrote:
If they had looked after the fireside they had maybe they would still have a site! And as for "not in Southovers" post, all bonfire societies in and around Lewes have fought very hard with the authorities to get where we are today so we don't loose it all together! Southover are at risk of screwing all the hard work for everyone else because they aren't interested in attending meetings etc, even laying claims to fields that they haven't even got permission to use and expecting to use routes laid out as safety routes for the emergency services. All I will say is, Southover, step back and actually look at the damage you are doing to bonfire in Lewes. Yes you might have money but obviously no bloody sense!
On 13 Oct 2014 at 4:59pm Wither Southover wrote:
Crumble Cliffe Wilt Waterloo and Burn him like flamin` wotsit

On 13 Oct 2014 at 5:38pm Jen wrote:
Hello, me again. I thought I saw a link saying Southover display was at the rugby pitch this year - so that's not the case either? How sad.
I'm not a member of any society; just not particularly good on my feet any more so looked forward to seeing it out of my bedroom window.
On 13 Oct 2014 at 5:42pm North of Lewes wrote:
Apparently not. Maybe if they had tidied up last year it would have been. But as the society is run by rich kids they expected someone else to clear up for them.
On 13 Oct 2014 at 6:39pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I think it's very sad that a society that has been reborn and become so successful can't find a firesite, and hopefully Southover will get something in place for next year. Their display over the years has been stunning.
Hopefully, they will take better care of any site they do manage to secure, too.
On 13 Oct 2014 at 10:54pm lewes resident wrote:
glad I read this post so glad they are not having a display we may get some peace now November 5th no thanks.
On 13 Oct 2014 at 11:23pm Oh Woe wrote:
So much for the kindred spirit and supporting each other's society stance.
Any decent society would support one another by offering to share their firesite.
Shame on the lot of you.
On 14 Oct 2014 at 4:37am North of Lewes wrote:
Sorry? how do you "share a firesite"? And if Southover had any Kindred spirit other societies wouldn't feel the way they do about them. Southover wanted to make a stand and be different from the others so there you go, look where it got them.
On 14 Oct 2014 at 7:59am I Like Details wrote:
Where was their site last year? Why can they not use it this year? Did they not clear up properly last year?
If they did leave the site in a mess, then it's only right they should NOT be allowed to do the same this year.
On 14 Oct 2014 at 9:24am notarichkid wrote:
I know nothing of the details as I am only a southover member but I and many others spent a considerable amount of time on the 6th and 7th of November last year picking up every bit of debris we could from the firesite. Its hugely disappointing we won't have a display this year to finish the evening. The obvious gloating by some individuals on this site is just pathetic.
On 14 Oct 2014 at 10:56am SBS too wrote:
@NoL, you're quite right ight about the impracticality of sharing a firesite but you're talking out of your backside about two things. SBS all being "rich kids"? This being affluent Lewes there are a few of them in ALL the societies (DFLs in all, too, who cares, ffs), but I'm certainly not a kid or rich, neither are my mates, what patronising crap. And SBS not clearing up? Clearly you weren't there, we were, massive clear up, mainly families, no amount of your bile will change that.
On 14 Oct 2014 at 11:31am Sparky wrote:
"Oh Woe" before you condemn other societies as not being decent & talk about things you know nothing about, they were offered the chance to share a site but turned it down so their loss I'm afraid. Perhaps you would like to apologise for shaming other societies.
On 14 Oct 2014 at 11:44am Ahahahaha wrote:
Goodbye Southover, off to be a walking Society like their Phoenix mates! Jokers the pair of them
On 14 Oct 2014 at 1:06pm Waterloo member wrote:
A lot of people seem to really hate bonfire the way they are gloating. I like bonfire so I hate to see any society have a problem. What weakens one weakens us all. Good luck to Southover for next year.
On 14 Oct 2014 at 1:10pm Not DFL nor rich kid wrote:
Sticks and stones, sticks and stones....
I'm glad I joined SBS and not one of these other societies who are obviously so perfect in all they do and say, and who never make/made any mistakes along the way. It must be so satisfying to know your sociteies are so perfect in every way, and that you have nothing left to learn.
I am sure every Lewes society has a cross-section of Lewes (and non-Lewes) residents, some with loads of cash, some with little, some with brains, some without, some willing to help prepare and clear up afterwards, some who simply expect to turn up on the night, some willing to work together with members of other societies, some not... SBS is no different.
I have no doubt SBS will work hard to sort out a new firesite for 2015, with (or without) the support and help of other societies. I am sure SBS will also try to learn from its mistakes too.
Equally, I am sure SBS will seek to maintain its own independence, and not simply bend to the will of other societies who seem to think that 'their way' is the 'only way'. Maybe it is too easy to misread enthusiasm of a relatively "young" society as arrogance..?
If SBS really were a society full of "rich kid DFLs" we'd have set up the perfect firesite by now, as money would surely be no object. However, the fact that we haven't would probably suggest to most people that we're not as rich as others choose to imply.
Firesite or not, I'll be proud to wear my red and black guernsey on 5th, and at outmeetings over the next few weeks.

On 14 Oct 2014 at 1:38pm Harold wrote:
If this is true about the loss of your fireside it is a crying shame something went wrong. But as an idea, as you do good aerials, can't you find somewhere to fire them from so you can see them from southover high St/priory street .ie behind the swan pub up juggs lane for instance. Better than nothing as you guys must have ordered the stuff already.
On 14 Oct 2014 at 4:01pm I said I like details wrote:
err......so WHY are you not allowed to use last year's site????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

On 14 Oct 2014 at 5:03pm ? wrote:
it's a nature reserve, the rspb don't want it used again.
On 14 Oct 2014 at 8:45pm New SBS wrote:
I hadn't realised how scared SBS had got other societies. Judging by the above a lot, given the ease of attack.
Looks like i chose the right year to move
On 14 Oct 2014 at 11:18pm Have to laugh wrote:
It's a shame that those comments agains Southover bonfire don't have proper names against them my guess is it's the shame bunch who downed the Phoenix walking group (Borough officers and a few of Cliffe)!!! Your scared as Southover are now one of the biggest Lewes societies who have more members that are Lewes people than most!!! Being a real bonfire person and Lewes born and bred I personally think this nasty bitching which has caused my family humiliation and grief in the last 20years will kill bonfire!! If this behaviour doesn't stop bonfire will die!! Long life the legisy of Keitg Austin and Southover Bonfire who WILL life on and have a fire site next year when others will fade through there own personal greediness of wanting to be someone when they are truly no better than nothing!
On 14 Oct 2014 at 11:48pm Advance! wrote:
It is a great shame to see there are enemies of bonfire within bonfire itself. This is self destructive. SBS have been successful and grown rapidly making bonfire stronger for all. I know we have the respect of decent members of other societies, we uphold the traditions of bonfire and move with the times, the fact a few feel threatened or want to mischief make is of no matter other than the harm it could do to bonfire in general. We will march proudly this year and I am very proud to be part of this society, which I guess is why we now have so many members with a foot in two camps now ;-)
On 15 Oct 2014 at 10:19am Depressed Gardener wrote:
I am 100% in agreement with not using a nature reserve for bonfire. I could never understand why it was allowed on the railway land reserve.
On 15 Oct 2014 at 3:21pm Isambard Brunel wrote:
You are dear Lady gardener , in your modern parlance , `avin a giraffe. What happened to the railways that kept our British Empire going ? And why reserve nature , surely there is natural land in abundance.
On 15 Oct 2014 at 8:13pm Alans Carr wrote:
SBS members keep digging.
One of the reasons you have no respect from the other societies is that you let the Phoenix walk with you on the night.
When it comes to membership size your comments are out of touch. I know of two societies in the town who are trying to reduce their amount of members.
The fact that you have so many members and that no one really knows what they are doing is the most worrying thing in Bonfire at the moment. If anything your running before you can walk and loosing your firing field due to not clearing up properly and repairing it after use is a classic example of the above.
For you to progress you need to start cooperating with the other societies in the town and it wouldn't hurt for you to start taking some advice from a few of leading officers from the other societies as well.
This year is make or break for Southover, if I was a member I would not be happy with the fact that my society didn't have a fire field, the evening will be flat. You wont get away with that two years running.
So, if you want to start gaining respect from the other societies, A: start working with the other established societies and B: Get the Phoenix out of your ranks and start acting like a bonfire society and not a carnival society.
GOOD LUCK FOR THE FUTURE.

On 15 Oct 2014 at 10:22pm Twitcher wrote:
Re: the use of the Railway Land, it was used as a firesite before it became a nature reserve and there was co-operation on both sides to make sure the land and plans were in the best interests of all users, be they rook watchers or rook scarers.

On 16 Oct 2014 at 7:45am Depressed Gardener wrote:
Twitcher: It's the booming of a Bittern I would like to hear!
On 16 Oct 2014 at 11:20am Not DFL nor rich kid wrote:
@ Alan's Carr "If I were a member ..", but you are not a member, so why make the comment? I am sure SBS members will make their own decisions regarding their future membership in light of this year's firesite problems etc, some will stay (more determined to do better next year), others will leave (which may say as much about them as it does about the society)... Who knows, maybe a large chunk of dissatisfied members will leave and form a whole new society in protest, as I believe has happened to other societies in recent years.
SBS will continue to invite whomever the society chooses to walk with us on the night, just as the other societies are free to choose who joins them on the night....Preservation of freedom of choice and freedom of speech, isn't that what Bonfire is all about...? Obviously not for some people...
If you were an active member of SBS you might be able to speak about us with some degree of accuracy, rather than just repeat hearsay. Yes, SBS has made mistakes, and will no doubt make more along the way, but I am sure we are learning from them and will do our best not to repeat them.

But thanks anyway for your generous advice, so freely given, I am sure it will be considered in amongst all the other advice we receive.

Thinks: SBS members on this thread make no attempt to hide their allegiance, whilst many of those criticising us seem unwilling to declare theirs...perhaps our critics are ashamed to name the societies to which they belong? Strange that, especially if those societies are really as perfect as our critics would have us believe... ;-)?

2 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Snowdrop Stairs 105:132
Snowdrop Stairs

Former chief scientific advisor to Pfiser pharmaceuticals for 15 years Dr Mike Yeadon wonders what qualification Dreamer has to... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If you lend someone £20 and don't see them again it was probably worth it.
Dan