Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

White Hart

On 9 Oct 2014 at 9:23am Worring wrote:
What has happened at the White Hart Gym...it is in such a state, i went as a guest but am appalled, there was no running water, the showers and sinks were out of action with plastic bags over the taps and showers so you cant turn them on, rumor has it that the environmental health dept have ordered it after failed water tests which means the water is contaminated, which explains the plastic bags. How can you run a gym and pool with no washing or shower facilities ?
On 9 Oct 2014 at 12:54pm Jim Dodger wrote:
All sounds pretty much "situation normal" based on comments I hear from a paying member of their health(!) club.... who has said it has been going downhill for some time :-(.
I suppose as a private member's "club" you can run something anyway you choose, until, or unless members feel they are not getting value for their money and vote with their feet or start demanding refunds of membership fees etc...
Of course, if environmental health had imposed serious restrictions on your facilities I doubt you'd publicise that fact too much, would you, for fear of scaring off paying punters...?

On 9 Oct 2014 at 2:26pm Derea wrote:
The rooms are bad and expensive too, the bar very boring and really not impressed. Their breakfast was super though!
On 9 Oct 2014 at 3:02pm Ronald Macdonald wrote:
I hear the kitchen is improving

On 10 Oct 2014 at 8:46am Gym Goer wrote:
i am a current member of the white hart gym and have been for some time. after talking with the staff, apparently the showers did fail a water test but its from the main hotel system and nothing to do with them.

On 10 Oct 2014 at 10:14am The Twister wrote:
This is not news. The White Hart Hotel and gym have been in a filthy state for years. The same applies to the Crown Hotel. It amazes me how they stay in business.
On 10 Oct 2014 at 1:19pm despair wrote:
The White Hart is such a fundamental part of the history of Lewes, it's devastating what's happened to it. We might as well watch it crumble and then it will be demolished and some concrete nightmare built in its place. Everyone tuts about it. No-one does anything. I contacted their management about something once and they did respond. But it was only one person trying to get something done. despair.
On 10 Oct 2014 at 1:56pm Sue wrote:
Who owns it ?
Is it some stupid, rich g*t who lives in another country and doesn't really care less? What can be done?
On 10 Oct 2014 at 2:10pm whitevandriver wrote:
He owns Shelleys.
On 10 Oct 2014 at 2:43pm trooper wrote:
"Sue" In answer to your question it would appear very little, some time ago the owners brought in Legacy Hotels in an effort to improve the situation,it got worse.Since they have gone they appear to have got a professional hotel manager,that does not seem to have made any difference. It really is a tragedy that such an iconic part of this town should be such a disaster.I was a frequent user I have not been there now for a long time.Until it is owned by somebody who really knows how to manage a good hotel I fear it will remain as it is, a sad place.
On 10 Oct 2014 at 3:46pm Historian wrote:
like the majority of buildings in Lewes, the hotel is really unfit for purpose anymore. It's all very well preserving listed buildings, but they need completely refurbishing for the demands of the 21st century, which even if allowed wouldn't be financially viable. A leaf needs to be taken from the city of Brugges, where they have kept the facades of the historic buildings, but completely rebuilt modern buildings behind them. But then poor old Lewes can't justify that level of investment. So it's only going to get worse, until some catastrophe befalls a building, or the high street. #preservedinaspic
On 10 Oct 2014 at 6:27pm The Smell of Cabbage wrote:
The Twister, you're right, but they survive because Lewes lacks enough hotel beds. If only there was some national chain which knows how to manage a hotel trying to seek planning permission in town. Oh, wait a minute...
On 14 Oct 2014 at 9:53am Gym User wrote:
Week 2 and still no water in the leisure center (except the pool) its a sorry state of affairs and the leisure manager has now resigned and left, how many managers is that now..mm ive lost count, wonder how long the next one will last !

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Moving On parade 93:132
Moving On parade

Thanks, Stevied. You’re right, They are the best fields and pretty secure, (save for the gate at the top.) She’s on heat at... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like it when people find lost stuff on the forum
Jim