Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Which is the best hotel to stay in

On 27 Dec 2006 at 11:27pm Jean McGuigan wrote:
Hi everyone
I am coming to Lewes to stay for a few days in January and would like to stay in a really nice hotel. Could anyone recommend one, Shelleys looks like a good one but what about the White hart or the Crown or any other ones?

On 28 Dec 2006 at 2:17pm Chav wrote:
There's always the lovely Kingfisher Court or if you want something really posh, try the Saxonbury Hotel. Wonderful place.

On 28 Dec 2006 at 3:04pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Don't listen to him Jean. Shellys is probably the best hotel in Lewes but also the most expensive. I've never heard any negative comments about the place, unlike the others. If you don't mind paying, then it has to be Shellys.

On 29 Dec 2006 at 5:21pm me wrote:
The White hart is notorious for a lack of hygiene standards. (allegedly)

On 29 Dec 2006 at 5:42pm Chav wrote:
OI, my mum's the cleaner in there !!

On 30 Dec 2006 at 6:01pm Juno wrote:
Shelleys or Pelham House, avoid the White Hart like the plague or you might get it.

On 31 Dec 2006 at 10:22pm madge wrote:
Pelham House is the one to choose its lovely, the staff are very nice too, its 2nd only to Shelleys. Unfortunately going by the experience of users the White Hart has very little to recommend it.

On 1 Jan 2007 at 2:40am Jack Carter wrote:
The Kings Head rents rooms. Usually booked, so be in touch well in advance. Their menu is impressive too. Particularly the price's.

On 2 Jan 2007 at 1:45pm Mystic Mog wrote:
There are some good B&Bs and smaller hotels / pubs with rooms eg the Dorset.

On 3 Jan 2007 at 4:46pm dats wrote:
And the Kings Head used to do B&B, don't know if it still does. I've not stayed at the White Hart, but I used to use the gym there - its sad that such a beautiful, historic building is largely let down by such a grubby and worn interior.

On 5 Jan 2007 at 12:15am chav wrote:
The owner of the white hart should be shot, its a disgrace to the town...would recommend a park bench any day of the week

On 5 Jan 2007 at 1:23am expat two wrote:
I used to be a member of their gym, I'd see some real horrors - predominantly with dampness, mildew & fungii. That's what comes from squeezing a heated pool into the basement of a 200 yr old building.
And the fat kid that stands outside smoking, with his grubby white shirt hanging out - its not a good look, is it. I'd guess he was a KP, except KPs don't usually wear a shirt & tie.
In conclusion Jean, avoid The White Hart.

On 5 Jan 2007 at 4:00pm dats wrote:
...and what happens when you get the 17 year old gym assistants to do the painting! They Hammerited the rusty bits of the weight machines, but it didn't dry properly because of the humidity so you'd come away with black gluey stuff on your hands!
The staff were lovely, I should say - but what a mouldy old dump they work in!

On 13 Jan 2007 at 12:17pm J wrote:
There are online reviews for the White Hart (POX INFESTED PIT!) I can personally vouch for the very poor standards. It would be interesting to see if they ever had repeat business. I doubt it.

On 16 Jan 2007 at 7:44pm JULIE wrote:
HELP. SIX OF US ARE FLYING DOWN FROM ABERDEEN FOR MY SON'S WEDDING IN LEWES. WE HAVE BOOKED INTO THE WHITE HART AS EVERYWHERE SEEMED TO BE BOOKED; I KNOW WHY NOW !!!! IF ANYBODY HAS ANY IDEAS OR KNOW OF VACANCIES OVER AUGUST BANK HOLIDAY, WOULD APPRECIATE SOME INFO.

On 16 Jan 2007 at 7:59pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Yes, here's some info. Turn off caps lock before you next post on this forum.

On 17 Jan 2007 at 5:49pm nutter wrote:
perhaps chav will rent you some space in his tent he is so stupid you know ask anyone lol

On 19 Jan 2007 at 2:21am Mr & Mrs Harper wrote:
I recently stayed in the White Hart Hotel in Lewes, I was hoping it to be a relaxing anniversary for my wife and I. The food was nice in reflection of its price, absolutely no problems with the service. The problem does not lie with the fine gentlemen who cared for us all weekend, in particular two members of staff who I got to know personally as Andy and Mo. HOWEVER, the general manger who I didn't get the name of did not have any time for us as customers throughout our stay...I consider him a disgrace as a manager as he appears to have no or little time for customers views or opinions....in fact I consider I highly arrogant and single-minded individual...For that reason and only that reason I consider it an highly unappealing place to stay and would not recommend it all to any visitors to Lewes....

On 26 Jan 2007 at 1:46pm G.Viner wrote:
We have just come back from a short stay at the White Hart. The room was clean and comfortable and the food, both for dinner and breakfast was of a good standard, with a good wine list at reasonable prices. The staff without exception were efficient and pleasant. We would certainly return. What is interesting is that the very negative comments are general rather than specific and do not give the reaction of the management when these complaints were made to them.

On 26 Jan 2007 at 4:54pm Smiler wrote:
I stayed there for several weeks after being flooded in 2000. Its not the best hotel I've ever stayed in and certainly not the worst but I would probably go dfor Shellys given the choice

On 26 Jan 2007 at 6:58pm Chav wrote:
Yeah the Whi Tart is an ok place. Without it, where would I throw my kebab wrapper and puke up after all that stripey voddy?

On 29 Jan 2007 at 2:59pm The Super K wrote:
Or get a job cleaning toilets chav!

On 15 Feb 2007 at 2:25pm Sylvia wrote:
The Saxonbury sounds very promising - but where is it and how do I contact it?

On 16 Feb 2007 at 8:16am housing officer wrote:
become 15 have 3 children with 3 different dads (you don't have to know there names) then go to the council and they will put you up in there F.O.C

On 14 Sep 2007 at 8:12pm Forum Friend wrote:
From what i've seen and heard it isn't great, is it?

On 23 Feb 2008 at 2:25am PraibePleaday wrote:
Good
site.

On 27 Mar 2008 at 10:32pm Coottenudge wrote:
Hello. Let's get acquainted!
My name is Jessika.

On 3 Feb 2009 at 3:14pm Algenon wrote:
The manager of the White Hart is taking over the Half Moon in Plumpton. Allegedly!

9 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Potting Shed Lewes 122:132
The Potting Shed Lewes

'kin hell. Before this one. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare