Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Where to get change for parking?

On 1 Aug 2012 at 2:36pm Deelite wrote:
I used to go to Santander bank and get notes changed into pound coins which I kept in the car so I'd not get caught short needing the correct money for a Lewes parking meter. Santander won't give me any any now (need me to deposit money to do it for their audit trail!).

If not a bank who will exchange pound coins for notes? Ideally as near to Station Street as possible.
On 1 Aug 2012 at 3:15pm Simples wrote:
Spend some money, get some change - easy.
On 1 Aug 2012 at 3:44pm Deelite wrote:
That's a very expensive way of getting change.
On 1 Aug 2012 at 7:53pm Simples wrote:
I bet you would find me annoying. I have change at the ready for most things - it is just a matter of thinking ahead. Change for parking, change for coffee, change for train tickets etc. My wife finds it annoying because I have little piles of various denominations on my chest of drawers.and a bag of coins in the car.
On 1 Aug 2012 at 11:31pm Deelite wrote:
That's exactly what I am trying to do, ensure I have change ready.

Good guess though, I do find you annoying,
On 2 Aug 2012 at 1:45am Tommy wrote:
I feel your pain deelite. However, i used to work somewhere that was close to one of the main car parks. When the parking restrictions started we would give change to people who asked for it, had to stop as the amount of people who came in just for change got ridiculous. The amount of crap i got from these people quickly erased any sympathy i had for them. you have to understand that these places are businesses and not handy places to get changed. There are places you can park for free for up to 3 hours if you know where to look and are able to walk for more than 5 mins.
On 2 Aug 2012 at 7:39am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
It's made harder by the wide variety of charges in different bits of town. You check your purse or pockets, find you have £1.50 in change which seems plenty, then try and buy a ticket and discover it's £2 at that particular spot.
In Pembrokeshire a few weeks ago they had machines that took notes and gave change. I don't see why we can't have those.

On 2 Aug 2012 at 8:09am Deelite wrote:
Tommy. I have already discounted shops. I need a lot of change so constantly giving shops large denomination bills for stuff like chewing gum just so I can get change out of them is not an option that is fair on the shops.

The problem is simply, if banks are not obliged to give you change how the hell do you get change for the bl**** Lewes parking meters? Is the Post Office obliged to give change for notes? The Lewes parking shop?

As I park in Lewes all day four days a week for work a three hour free stay carpark is of no use to me.

On 2 Aug 2012 at 8:33am Make me laugh wrote:
Parking shop , be helpful , give change , no no no , why would the want to incur a cost and help us out , after all where would they get the change from ? They wouldn't be smart enough to recycle all the coins those 2 silly old farts collect ,
On 2 Aug 2012 at 9:42am the old mayor wrote:
Those silly 'old farts' work for millionaires, who are raking it in !!!

On 2 Aug 2012 at 11:13am Clifford wrote:
Banks only exist to sell you things, it seems.

On 3 Aug 2012 at 8:59am bongo wrote:
Why not use the car parks. Only £2 for the whole day down North St.

On 3 Aug 2012 at 10:19am Snapdragon wrote:
Deelite, do you not have a bank account? Your own bank would allow you to withdraw money in whatever form you want. I get bags of pound coins and silver from mine.

On 5 Aug 2012 at 8:27am Deelite wrote:
I use Smile, an online bank.

On 6 Aug 2012 at 8:04pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Just go into any bank and they will usually change large notes. Park in one of the cheaper car parks all day and you just need to remember to change a £20 once a week.

On 8 Aug 2012 at 4:45pm Sussex Jim wrote:
When making a purchase in a shop, hand over a note and the odd coppers. Most retail prices end in a "nine". Say "I've got the odd nine", and the assistant will normally reply "great" or "smashing" or a similar term. You will then get pound coins and silver in your change.

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Impending Sheep 45:143
Impending Sheep

It just bothers me that anyone thinks that they or the government have the right to tell me what I can put in my own body. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare