Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Where to Buy Christmas Trees in Lewes

On 6 Dec 2007 at 3:43pm SHS wrote:
What happened to the folks selling at the Volly? Bill's has some but I don't want to sell the house yet, Homebase has them but it's not exactly a Local Independent Trader, so where else in the town can a real piece of fir be bought for the price of a firework?
On 6 Dec 2007 at 4:00pm FA wrote:
Might be worth trying any of the local garden centres.....Wyevale will be expensive but Goldcliffe on the Uckfield road or even the place on the right just past the Ringmer turn (opposite the Barcombe turn) or Stavertons at Halland might be ok.
Failing that, a quick look through the Friday Ad might give a few suggestions.
On 6 Dec 2007 at 6:06pm SHS wrote:
Thanks for that FA but I was hoping for somewhere less than 30 minute's walk away, not feeling inclined to hand over any more money to hmrc (or whatever they call themselves now).
On 7 Dec 2007 at 10:57pm Smiler wrote:
They are selling them outside the Volly now - get em while thy're hot!
On 9 Dec 2007 at 12:37pm Piggles wrote:
Went down yesterday.... in the rain... and the wind... to get one. And they weren't selling them by the Volly.
On 9 Dec 2007 at 12:55pm SHS wrote:
Me to, walked down in the force 22 hurricane and torrential rain only to find a complete absence of Christmas trees at the Volly. That exotic plant place near the mower repair shop sells trees but as with Bill's, prices are aimed at Bentley drivers. Ended up getting one from Homebase - 25 for about 5 feet & at least a ton of leaves fell off when it was put up. Next year I'll just chop down any old tree (a hawthorn?) in Grange Gardens & spend the money saved on some good wine.
On 9 Dec 2007 at 5:00pm Smiler wrote:
They were there but seem to have gone now
On 9 Dec 2007 at 7:56pm expat wrote:
Friston forest always used to be good.

On 9 Dec 2007 at 8:59pm Lewesianne wrote:
Expat, will your Xmas tree be a Remu or a Pahutokawa? :-)
On 9 Dec 2007 at 9:04pm SHS wrote:
To judge from her last post it'll be Leafless and Lifeless. Still, charcoal over there = high wheat prices over here.........
On 10 Dec 2007 at 7:29pm expat wrote:
Pretty good Lewesianne. Pineus Radiata! Pohutukawa are natives and only called nz christmas trees because they flower at this time of year, and I don't think we'd get away with chopping them down, and Rimu are expensive, and used for good furniture. Just got one from the bush, didn't like it, and bought one for $15 off the side of the road, so we learned our lesson and will pay for one again next year!I watered it last night and it hasn't died yet. An aspirin in the water usually keeps it good. It looks and smells great!

On 10 Dec 2007 at 10:54pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
As I went past the Volly earlier this afternoon, they had Christmas trees on sale.

On 11 Dec 2007 at 8:58pm Lewesianne wrote:
Well, we still use our artificial one we bought 14 years ago! It's clean, easy and doesn't get tossed up the garden on New Year's Day! The only thing it lacks is that lovely smell. But if you slice oranges, put them in the oven on a low heat for a couple of hours, then hang them from the tree, it smells amazing. And if you keep them year after year, they go dark brown and look even better!

On 12 Dec 2007 at 11:10am Alex wrote:
The last couple of years we've bought ours from Wilderness Wood, at Hadlow Down near Uckfield. A big range of local trees, different types, sizes and prices from cheap to expensive. Should suit most budgets. Makes a fun trip with kids as well.
On 2 Nov 2008 at 6:19pm rebecca cornell wrote:
www.brightonupyourgarden.com
we can deliver for you!

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

commercial square badge 30:132
commercial square badge

I'm not completely sure of the relevance of this information tom. The study of the money supply is of interest to some but as... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine