Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Where is common sense re. Cycling on pavement?

3
2
On 12 May 2017 at 8:08pm Glass Ceiling wrote:
Common sense...
Tolerance...
I have never heard of any similar problems in Netherlands...
26
2
On 12 May 2017 at 8:39pm Walker wrote:
I often encounter cyclists when I'm walking up by the prison on the footpath which isn't officially a cycle path and is very narrow. I have a lot of sympathy for them though because it's not much fun trying to cycle along the road there. When they slow right down / stop and move onto the grass I'm very tolerant. When they hurtle towards me and expect me to leap out of the way I'm not.
13
8
On 12 May 2017 at 9:46pm Glass Ceiling wrote:
No doubt at all! Priority should be always given to pedestrians. Cyclists must justify his/her behavior, otherwise. Even it is not normally acceptable to use bell to impose pressure! Why are there so many unpleasant experiences?
24
8
On 12 May 2017 at 10:09pm Db1 wrote:
Hi. As a daily cyclist commuting from Lewes to Brighton I will use the pavements leading up to the prison crossroads if the traffic is jam packed for a good few minutes. If there are an pedestrians I'll either slow down to a snails pace and give ample space to pass, or I'll dismount and push my bike till it's clear. If I see there are lots of pedestrians i'll stick to the road. I think this is perfectly acceptable to acertain what is suitable at the time/ under the circumstances. I do agree it is not acceptable to bomb along and insist pedestrians move. I rarely see othee cyclists do this. Thanks D
15
3
On 12 May 2017 at 10:11pm Mrs Grumpy wrote:
It surely seems reasonable for us to expect that cyclists should have a bell on their cycles and use it to warn pedestrians of their approach. I can't imagine why they still fail to do this. Next time you spot a cycle, check if it has a bell. Few do.
5
6
On 12 May 2017 at 10:50pm Bellend wrote:
I often ride along the river by track, ( cycle path) i have a bell and ring to warn pedestrians and am amazed at the number of people who tut or look put out at me.
I was also almost hit by a young lad on the pavement the other day who cycled off and shouted 'watch where you're going you tw@t'
I can see both sides..
11
18
On 12 May 2017 at 11:16pm lewes resident wrote:
Footpaths are for pedestrians not cyclists . If they are using the road wait in the queue like drivers have to. Surprised there are not more accidents caused by cyclists.
27
4
On 13 May 2017 at 5:51am Deja Vu wrote:
I think it's funny how cyclists can't understand why pedestrians don't want cyclists on 3 foot of pavement, yet step a foot into a 6 foot cycle path and see how much abuse you get from the cyclists...
Basically they want it all, roads, cycle paths and pavements are all fair game. Cycling on pavements is dangerous and illegal, no it's not ok and I think people should be much less tolerant, just don't do it, it's not cool.
8
7
On 13 May 2017 at 7:58am Walker wrote:
The worst part up by the prison is where cyclists come from Brighton towards Lewes on the pavement and then at the junction the drop off the pavement and onto the road. They rarely take notice of the traffic lights (because they're coming from the pavement) so if you're crossing the road they come straight at you. I've nearly been hit there a couple of times.
9
7
On 13 May 2017 at 8:15am Old Bike wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I witnessed a female in her late thirties wearing a long flowing Wickle type dress and jacket, riding one of those collapsible style bikes. She cycled obliviously through a red traffic light by Boots towards the station, passing two policemen that were dealing with an incident just passed the lights. She had not a care in the world, thanks goodness she wasn't driving a car.
6
3
On 13 May 2017 at 9:03am Passed tense wrote:
Why do you think the Bill's presence is of note ? They do NOTHING for traffic. I was once on a long queue on the Cross Levels Eastbourne road . When I eventually got to the roundabout the reason was clear - due to an incident somewhere there was a mass of traffic coming onto the roundabout, with right of way so no one got on from our road. I watched for 10 minutes as 2 coppers stood chatting next to their car. I just wish I had a smartphone to record their ineptitude. All they needed to do was take control of the lines of traffic.
2
4
On 13 May 2017 at 10:14am Glass Ceiling wrote:
Thanks for all the rational comments/arguments, which are rational!
1. Not competent/confident to ride on the road;
2. Do not intend to cause unnecessary traffic jam;
3. Be sure not to cause any harm to pedestrians.
4. Infrastructure: too dangerous for cyclists;
5. Cycling at a speed of 2-3 mph; and
.............................
A London policy's recent approach has opened a new line of thought, that is, "cycle on the road, and explain otherwise". I agree that it is plausibly difficult to justify cycling on pavements. On the other hand, we cannot attribute it to unsafe infrastructure. We are not in China, where you can cycle wherever you like; neither are we in the Netherlands, where there is no such an issue because of its world-class facilities!
Enjoy the weekend!
4
1
On 13 May 2017 at 12:25pm Dutch Cap wrote:
Being flat helps a lot.
9
2
On 13 May 2017 at 1:21pm Velo wrote:
If cyclist want respect as a fellow road user then cycling through red lights or pavement hopping is not the best way to do it. And to a certain cyclist who not so long ago swore at me because my dog barked and lunged at him (whilst on the lead) what do you expect when you silently arrive from behind without warning? Is it too macho to sound your bell ?
4
5
On 13 May 2017 at 2:08pm bobob wrote:
As long as people are respectful it's understandable for safety reasons given the state of roads, traffic and driving habits.
I see plenty of cyclists without helmets and bells (illegal to cycle without in France) and it makes me angry. No doubt we do some annoying things like rolling through red lights or hopping on and off kerbs but on the flip side when a car driver misbehaves it can kill us.
Don't see anything wrong with shouting at cyclists to slow down if they are on the footpaths tho.
7
8
On 13 May 2017 at 3:10pm Deja Vu wrote:
Great logic Bobob, shame that is based on complete bull. So you're saying bikes so go on pavements at certain points to protect themselves from the traffic, meanwhile you seem to think a cyclist striking a pedestrian is completely safe. It's illegal to cycle on footpaths for a reason.
Shouting at them to slow down, how about shouting at them to GET OFF THE FREAKING FOOTPATH? If you can ride a bike responsibly and follow the Highway Code you should not do it at all.
3
1
On 13 May 2017 at 3:22pm Rods Tiger wrote:
Why do people keep saying that it's illegal to cycle on footpaths ?
2
2
On 13 May 2017 at 5:13pm occasional wrote:
As an occasional cyclist but more often put out (by cyclists)pedestrian & driver 2 local bits of highway are of concern. The Offham bends between Landport fork & Offham House would benefit from making the footpath a shared cycleway (yes it's narrow in parts). Controversially, make it compulsory to use it, though this would be difficult/impossible/unnecessary to enforce with the lycra racers. Secondly the confusion for cyclists using North Court - from Cliffe High St there's a no-cycling sign, but from the other end it doesn't show such an obvious sign to mark the end of the cycle path so people cycle through & get too close to pedestrians.
2
3
On 13 May 2017 at 7:09pm Idon'tliveinlewes... wrote:
My understanding is that it isn't illegal to ride on pavements if it's done sensibly. The law wasn't intended to penalise responsible cyclists as reflect in Paul Boateng’s (the minister responsible at the time) original guidance. Use of police discretion is required.
2
2
On 13 May 2017 at 7:19pm I don't live in lewes... wrote:
Deja Vu: As in the guidance YES it is ok to ride on pavements. ""The guidance acknowledges that Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road. Sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required."" The law wasn't intended to penalise considerate, sensible riders which the majority are.
5
6
On 13 May 2017 at 7:35pm Cam wrote:
Do you cycle moaners not realise that the streets of Lewes are dangerous for cyclists. How about putting your energy into improving the town for cyclists. They are damaging your health far less than other traffic. This town is polluted, as is this forum.
2
5
On 13 May 2017 at 10:05pm Deja Vu wrote:
Seriously don't try to convince me it's ok to ride on the pavement.
Why not try spending 30 seconds checking facts before saying it's not illegal and that it's ok? It isn't, it's dangerous and will earn you a fixed penalty notice, vehicles must use a road, footpaths and for things with feet, if you must use them you have to wheel your bike. Scary that your road knowledge isn't even of a level to pass a cycling proficiency test.
2
3
On 13 May 2017 at 11:22pm dave wrote:
The dealer from the flats in Holman close always cycled on the pavement round Cliffe even if the road is empty. It's really rather irritating.
4
 
On 14 May 2017 at 12:57am Rods Tiger wrote:
@Deja Vu it would be great if you spent the same 30 seconds checking the law. I believe that it is not illegal t cycle on the footpath. Can you tell me, specifically, where it is stated that it is ?
2
2
On 14 May 2017 at 8:15am bobobob wrote:
@deja vu
That's not at all what I said. Please don't make stuff up.
Nowhere did I say it was safe for a cyclist to hit a pedestrian.
Cyclists responsibly using pavements occasionally is just a bit of common sense for me. Bit of give and take like.
If you're against it so strongly you could teach drivers the highway code when it comes to sharing roads with bikes.
 
3
On 14 May 2017 at 9:06am Deja Vu wrote:
@bobob, I'm not making stuff up you said "when a car driver misbehaves it can kill us.", so back at you from pedestrian point of view "when a cyclist misbehaves it can kill us". like I said Bobob not great logic. How about walking when you're on the pavement?
@Rods tiger, you're a moron arguing at the legality when you clearly haven't bothered to look. "The maximum court fine is £500 or the police can issue a £50 fixed penalty notice (FPN). In short, it is illegal to cycle on a pavement alongside a road, unless it has been marked as a cycle track", FYI cycletrack 6', footpath 3'.
 
1
On 14 May 2017 at 10:35am bobob wrote:
Nah, you're wrong. That's your logic and it's not used correctly.

I occasionally ride my bike very very slowly on a pavement. If you drive do you always leave the correct distance etc for bikes? Or stick to the speed limit?
1
1
On 14 May 2017 at 11:03am Rods Tiger wrote:
@DejaVu Sorry that you think me a moron for asking a straightforward question
Cycling on footways (a path at the side of a carriageway) is prohibited by Section 72 of the Highway Act 1835, amended by Section 85(1) of the Local Government Act 1888. This is punishable by a fixed penalty notice of £30 under Section 51 and Schedule 3 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988. Cycling on 'footpaths' is, often, ok.
 
3
On 14 May 2017 at 11:34am Deja Vu wrote:
Bobob it's not my logic, you said you ride on the pavement at certain points to protect yourself from bad drivers, thus endangering pedestrians, you are putting others at risk to avoid putting yourself at risk, bad logic and half the reason people hate cyclists.
Rods tiger, how does "prohibited" equal "often ok" in your head?
"The offence of cycling on a footway or pavement has been a fixed penalty offence since 1999. Cyclists may be given a warning for cycling on the pavement; however a fine of up to £500 can be issued". The only times it's "ok" to cycle on a footpath is when there is no road or cycle path (which pretty much excludes the whole of Lewes from being ok).
3
3
On 14 May 2017 at 11:52am bobob wrote:
The flaw in your logic is that I don't have to put others at risk to protect myself. I can cycle very slowly on a pavement without posing a risk to anyone. I can get off and walk if someone is coming and it's a tight squeeze. I can, should and will do all sorts of things to not pose a risk to others.
You have assumed what my actions will be to fit your point of view then banged on like it was something I said.
1
4
On 14 May 2017 at 12:09pm Rods Tiger wrote:
@Deja Vu Now I'm wondering why you are continuing this debate. I have given you the specific law that proves you right. However, the law applies to footways, which run alongside carriageways and are intended for foot traffic only. A footpath - often in the countryside - is a completely different matter.
 
1
On 14 May 2017 at 12:10pm Deja Vu wrote:
Bobob, YOU have decided it's safe, despite there being a law to the contrary. So you're breaking the law and arguing I'm in the wrong, seriously?
I am banging on because it was something you said, you break the law to lower your own risk, thus increasing the risk to pedestrians and you're trying to justify it?
So where does your logic stop, surely if a moped follows your rules for driving on the footpath that is ok too?
2
1
On 14 May 2017 at 12:18pm Deja Vu wrote:
Rods tiger if it was serious genuine question, then my apologies. I didn't for a second think it was as the thread is not about cycling on remote footpaths, it is about cycling on pavements. Obviously it is NEVER ok in those circumstances, despite what some cyclists think. We've had a good mix of opinions and not a single pedestrian is comfortable with it, cyclists seriously wonder why the average person hates them!?!
 
5
On 14 May 2017 at 1:08pm Alan the cat wrote:
Bobbob = another know it all.
1
3
On 14 May 2017 at 7:20pm Meic wrote:
It is alway sillegal unless teh footpath is officially declared shared - link, which is to a very pro-cycling website

Check it out here »
1
1
On 14 May 2017 at 7:41pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
@Rod's Tiger: rural footpaths are for pedestrians only, cyclists can only legally use bridleways.
Sadly, this is another law that many cyclists don't give a toss about.

Check it out here »
 
1
On 15 May 2017 at 3:50pm ar10642 wrote:
You shouldn't ride on rural yellow-arrowed public footpaths, although this is not a criminal offence. It is a "civil wrong" - you'd be committing trespass against the landowner(s), who would have to sue you for damages. Unlikely you'd get very far along most of these anyway as most have it least one stile or kissing gate on them. Bridleways are legal and only likely to have gates, not stiles.
It is also not a *criminal* offence to cycle along urban footpaths that are not alongside a road (i.e. not a "footway"), unless it is marked with a red circle with bike prohibition sign. For example the link from Offham Road to Landport road is OK.
Cycling along footways (paths alongside road, colloquially known as pavements) is illegal in all cases, even alongside busy A roads in the middle of nowhere, unless they have been turned into a cycleway via blue signs and white paint.


This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one


 

Bonfire Torches 11:132
Bonfire Torches

Thanks for the interesting news. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde