Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Where is best for Curry?

1
 
On 30 Mar 2013 at 2:01am Curry Lover wrote:
Hi I am new to Lewes and am amazed at all the Italian food places you have! But i am a fan of curry and you seem to have 3 places which sell curry which is the best to go to?
thanks
1
 
On 30 Mar 2013 at 6:29am landporter wrote:
I think the general opinion is Spice Merchants in West Street. Certainly my favourite.
2
1
On 30 Mar 2013 at 7:48am Xplorer1 wrote:
Welcome to Lewes, Curry Lover. The Spice Merchant, IMHO, is a shadow of its former self. They opened a branch in Crawley (?) last year and most of the Lewes staff went there. The place hasn't delivered the same quality since. I think Shanaz is now as good, and cheaper. Chaula's is quirky and eclectic: try their excellent value lunchtime buffet for a sampler of what they're like. They also sell a range of frozen dishes, and takeaway snacks like pakoras and samosas, and nibbles like Bombay mix. report back when you've tried one or more of them - I'd like to hear your opinion.
3
 
On 30 Mar 2013 at 8:36am TDA wrote:
I'm preferring the Pailin at the mo. Bit of Pad Thai and some red curry... Mmmm
2
3
On 30 Mar 2013 at 9:47am Brussel sprout wrote:
I like Chaulas the best. It has a much less generic british curry style than most (though I like that taste too...)
1
1
On 30 Mar 2013 at 9:53am Cliffebimbo wrote:
The Ganges in Ringmer-best curry around!
6
4
On 30 Mar 2013 at 10:10am Tim Wilkins real name wrote:
The Shanaz is the best in Lewes. Nice friendly people and great food which can be tailored to suit your expectations spice/chilli wise.
If you do go to the Spice Merchant, please check your bill thoroughly. They always try to add extra drinks to your bill, especially if there's a group of you. This has happened to many people, not just me. Very naughty.
2
4
On 30 Mar 2013 at 10:22am Townie wrote:
That of course Tim, is your opinion.
 
1
On 30 Mar 2013 at 10:27am Tony wrote:
I will second the Ganges at Ringmer, their curries seem to taste better and the quality is a little bit nicer.
Spice Merchants used to be the best in Lewes and was always thriving, however, they seemed to completely change their staff recently which has really let the place down. When ever you go in there now they are always standing around waiting due to a lack of customers.
Shanaz is okay however isnt to my taste so personally I avoid it.
1
1
On 30 Mar 2013 at 12:39pm Tim Wilkins real name wrote:
Townie wrote:
"That of course Tim, is your opinion."
Thanks for stating the obvious Townie............
 
1
On 30 Mar 2013 at 12:49pm Rookie wrote:
Where is best for Curry?
Easy.
India
2
2
On 30 Mar 2013 at 1:01pm Townie wrote:
You stated it as a FACT Tim, not an OPINION.
1
1
On 30 Mar 2013 at 3:03pm GhostBike wrote:
Chaulas is easily the best. Spice Merchant I've tried twice and been massively disappointed. Don't understand why it's so popular.
2
2
On 30 Mar 2013 at 3:14pm Katie wrote:
Chaula's is possibly the nearest to authentic Indian food out of all the Indian restaurants in Lewes. The buffet they do is bog-standard everyday Asian food (similar to the food served at a Sikh langhar) - equivalent I suppose, to the very British 'Shepherds Pie', and equally as lush. Frankly, I prefer the buffet to the British style Indian food that the average High St curry house churns out!
1
3
On 30 Mar 2013 at 3:29pm pope wrote:
Excuse me for getting involved in your argument Townie but it was you that said "That of course Tim, is your opinion ". And then you go on to say " You stated it as a fact Tim, not an opinion ". Are you sure you are not a politican. No hard feeling just trying to help the underdog.
2
1
On 30 Mar 2013 at 4:00pm Tim Wilkins real name wrote:
Thanks pope, though is your statement FACT or OPINION? You don't want Townie telling you off.
Townie, I gave my opinion in amnswer to the question. Did I state it was a fact? NO!!! Perhaps you could actually answer the question and try to help the poster, as I did.
3
 
On 30 Mar 2013 at 4:08pm Independent Thinker wrote:
Chaula's makes great South Indian style curries, which may take getting used to for people who haven't tried it before. Most curry houses stick mainly to Bangladeshi and North Indian styles.

Regarding Tim's comment, I think Townie's point was Tim said SM "always" try to add extra drinks, suggesting deliberate criminal activity, which is a very serious accusation to aim at a local business. And given they haven't done that to me before, also not true. If he'd stuck to saying it's worth double checking the bill as they've made mistakes before, he'd be on firmer ground. But that's also sensible advice every time you eat out.
1
4
On 30 Mar 2013 at 4:42pm Pope wrote:
Can't help you this time Tim, it seems like they are ganging up on you, unless Townie and Independant Thinker are one and the same. Never mind and as Larry Grayson used to say Hey Ho!
1
 
On 30 Mar 2013 at 5:52pm wrote:
 
 
On 30 Mar 2013 at 5:56pm Hmmm... wrote:
One can hardly call a rather gentle pointing out of a flat accusation of criminal behaviour 'ganging up'. It is most assuredly out of order to do so and if I were the proprietor of the Spice Merchant I would take great issue.
1
4
On 30 Mar 2013 at 6:01pm Townie wrote:
No ganging up here. You see, in his first post, Tim wrote "The Shanaz is the best in Lewes". That was written as if it was a FACT and no one else's opinion mattered. Everyone else put "IMHO" or "in my opinion" etc etc. Get over it Timmy boy and move on.
4
 
On 30 Mar 2013 at 6:06pm Southover Queen wrote:
Oddly enough, one of the times it's a good idea not to give your own name is if you're going to libel a local business!
2
2
On 30 Mar 2013 at 6:28pm Tim Wilkins real name wrote:
No ganging up here. You see, in his first post, Tim wrote "The Shanaz is the best in Lewes". That was written as if it was a FACT and no one else's opinion mattered. Everyone else put "IMHO" or "in my opinion" etc etc. Get over it Timmy boy and move on.
In your opinion Townie!!! You seem to forget that all the comments above, DO NOT have "opinion" mentioned at all. Yet you just stated that as FACT.
Get your facts right before crusading!!!!!!!!!! And get a life too....
Independent Thinker - you are correct. I was wrong to say "always". What I actually meant was, the two times I ate there with a group of friends, we were overcharged for drinks. Others have mentioned this to me also.
I am in no danger of the people at spice merchant taking offence. They already know what I think of them and have proof from at least four different groups who were overcharged.
I speak my mind face to face and also on here. No hiding for me
1
 
On 30 Mar 2013 at 6:41pm Frank wrote:
Spice merchant gone badly down hill .avoid at all cost ,
 
 
On 30 Mar 2013 at 7:33pm Horseman7 wrote:
I'll third the Ganges recommendation. And they do free delivery, which is a big plus now I longer have a car.
 
1
On 30 Mar 2013 at 7:36pm Local wrote:
Is that a fact? Or opinion? Or advice? Or nonsense?
Tin hat on...
 
 
On 30 Mar 2013 at 9:37pm TDA wrote:
I don't care what Tim or Townie said... move on.
 
 
On 31 Mar 2013 at 6:42am Townie wrote:
Ok ok im sorry, you are right Tim. Went to SM last night and ordered a lamb dhansak. Don't know what i got but it seemed very much like a chicken madras. Complained to staff and got a free takeaway.
 
 
On 31 Mar 2013 at 7:40am Pope wrote:
Good boy Townie, now perhaps with Gods grace you and Timmy can enjoy a curry together. I love happy ending.
 
 
On 31 Mar 2013 at 10:29am Townie wrote:
I'm filling up...i feel a group hug coming on !!!!!
 
1
On 31 Mar 2013 at 11:11am Tim Wilkins real name wrote:
Awww..........you guys!!! Would it be wrong to say I love you all?
1
 
On 31 Mar 2013 at 11:51am Sceptic wrote:
What a lovely finale. Happy Easter to you all.
1
 
On 31 Mar 2013 at 12:26pm Townie wrote:
He was wrong though
 
 
On 31 Mar 2013 at 4:33pm Amy wrote:
Shanaz is great, has a voucher in Viva Lewes currently. I will definitely be visiting again very soon. I took a group of people there who usually opt for SM they were very surprised how good it was.
 
 
On 31 Mar 2013 at 7:04pm pope wrote:
Townie, Stop it.
1
 
On 31 Mar 2013 at 7:53pm Dog meat wrote:
Had a curry takeaway last night , from sm , not sure what I ordered but sure wasn't lamb , prob dog or cat ?used a lot of toilet paper today
 
 
On 1 Apr 2013 at 8:55am Pope wrote:
Perhaps it was Tim chopped up. Ha Ha.


This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one


 

English view 35:132
English view

I was aware the Duke of Edinburgh attended a family members funeral in Nazi Germany as a youngster. I'm no fan of the monarchy or... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like All the wide open spaces on the downs
Jojo