Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

What's Good About Lewes?

On 30 Aug 2008 at 5:16pm Old Git. wrote:
So what's good or not so good about Lewes?
I'm interested to hear peoples view.
Some might say its a small Town with small Town ideas. Some might say middle aged folk wondering about in stripy jumpers waving a sparkler about is really cool.
Me? I'm not saying yet.

On 30 Aug 2008 at 8:04pm Bumface wrote:
Bad: Mid Forty something women filling this forum with twaddle.

On 30 Aug 2008 at 8:08pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
I might have to book my annual leave to say all I want to about Lewes. I'll pop a few points below......
1. Lewes is a "living and breathing" community. Unfortunately it is becoming a victim of it's success and there seems to be no end of shallow wannabes buying into the town (not realising that it's not the money that buys you into Lewes - it's the commitment).
2. Lewes is a town one lusts after (love may last a lifetime and is relatively stable, but LUST makes you act impulsively and is totally compelling).
3. People that embrace Lewes and participate in the community become entwined in the town. Some people* are moving into the town and trying to create something that doesn't exist in the hope that they will become incorporated into the community - it doesn't work that way -Lewes decides what's appropriate and what is not.
* in my opinion, beware of overindulged colonial expats. You know the type - patronise all with their (allegedly sound) private education, failed to be a hippie so compensating now, own an acre or two of woodland etc

On 30 Aug 2008 at 8:08pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Count me in then!

On 30 Aug 2008 at 8:55pm zola wrote:
And me!

On 30 Aug 2008 at 9:00pm Old Git. wrote:
Mid Forty something women spouting twaddle are cool. You just need to know where to pinch them.

On 30 Aug 2008 at 9:21pm Twaddlette. wrote:
Hey Bumface,Twaddle is good.Think how boring this lovely forum would be without it.The Twaddlettes.Like it!

On 30 Aug 2008 at 10:14pm Lewesianne wrote:
Oi Bum Crack...whats wrong with women in their 40's? I take it you like them younger then, eh Gary?

On 30 Aug 2008 at 10:19pm Cliffebimbo wrote:
I love how eccentric a lot of Lewesians are

On 30 Aug 2008 at 10:22pm Lewesianne wrote:
Yeah, and me!

On 30 Aug 2008 at 10:34pm CROSS wrote:
Bum Wipe, You must be a Bum Bandit! I'll put my bum in your face anyday - There was loads of that going on when I was doin my time.

On 31 Aug 2008 at 8:08am FA wrote:
One good thing about Lewes is there's at least 5 decent roads to get out of the town on.

On 31 Aug 2008 at 9:38am Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
In reply to the original question, I did leave this post (copied and pasted below).....
1. Lewes is a "living and breathing" community. Unfortunately it is becoming a victim of it's success and there seems to be no end of shallow wannabes buying into the town (not realising that it's not the money that buys you into Lewes - it's the commitment).
2. Lewes is a town one lusts after (love may last a lifetime and is relatively stable, but LUST makes you act impulsively and is totally compelling).
3. People that embrace Lewes and participate in the community become entwined in the town. Some people* are moving into the town and trying to create something that doesn't exist in the hope that they will become incorporated into the community - it doesn't work that way -Lewes decides what's appropriate and what is not.
* in my opinion, beware of overindulged colonial expats. You know the type - patronise all with their (allegedly sound) private education, failed to be a hippie so compensating now, own an acre or two of woodland etc

On 31 Aug 2008 at 9:57am Benny On A Hill. wrote:
The Floods are a laugh.
Da La Da Da Da Da Da La Da Da....Doh Da Da Doh Da Da....
Da La Da Da Da Da Da..................

On 31 Aug 2008 at 1:00pm sashimi wrote:
I'd say the good thing and the bad thing is that with 6 bonfire societies, 3 councils, 2 law courts, police and health HQs, etc, it's got a lot of very bossy people: perhaps too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

On 31 Aug 2008 at 1:07pm Judge Montal wrote:
Get down off that totem pole now!!

On 31 Aug 2008 at 2:15pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Aren't you one of the chiefs Sashimi?

On 31 Aug 2008 at 3:49pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
A serious answer:

1. The fact that you can see the Downs from almost every part of town

2. The fact that no two buildings are alike (in the centre, at least)

3. Bonfire

4. Everywhere is in walking distance

5. It's still a working town, rather than some twee heritage place packed with coachloads of tourists

6. The beach is only 20 minutes away

7. You can enjoy the benefits of London and Brighton without the downside of actually living in either

8. There are lots of parks and gardens

9. Lewes is full of 'characters'

10. There's a real sense of history in the town

The downside is the parking, house prices, county council, and those people who don't respect our heritage and would have Lewes end up like Crawley.

On 31 Aug 2008 at 10:01pm Chav wrote:
Good: When I'm in it
Bad. When the Charky Grill shuts early.

On 31 Aug 2008 at 10:33pm Enoch wrote:
Good: Bonfire
Bad: DFL's who don't integrate.

On 31 Aug 2008 at 11:44pm Smiler wrote:
Good:
The Cliffe on a sunny Saturday
Bills bacon sandwiches with ketchup
Bonfire
The Downs
The Gardners and Rachel the barmaid
The 'We won't be druv' attitude
Canoeing up the Ouse
The open minded and eco progressive attitude
Harveys
Everythings to hand
Bunces Hardware
Lewes FC
Southover Grange
The Paddock
The pockets of people and views
The Snowdrop (when Tim and Sue ran it)
Waitrose checkout girls
The enormous hidden quarry in Southerham
Catching frogs in the railway land
The Pells Pool
The All Saints
The Library
Bad:
St Johns Street development
The parking scheme
No public slipway into the river
Tesco checkout staff
Argos car park (should be John Harveys beer garden)
Planners making it really difficult for the little guys while turning a blind eye to the professional developers
The Snowdrops deteriorisation
Traffic flow round the town (seems to increase traffic)
The divisions created by prejudice

On 1 Sep 2008 at 7:55am juju wrote:
Whats good...Bonfire and the smell of cordite hanging in the air.
Cliffe bonfire members they know how to help in a crisis.
walking the dogs by the river, ubbeatable.
the veiws across the valley, fantastic.
The smell of Harveys brewing
Whats bad.....Not being able to buy what i want in town
Every where is up hill
Tolerance of the belly crawling lowlife law breakers, dealers, peadophiles, thieves ect.
DFLS
Bills
the parking scheme

On 1 Sep 2008 at 9:30am sashimi wrote:
Yes. smiler. You're right about Rachel at the Gardeners

On 1 Sep 2008 at 12:50pm not from around here wrote:
Spinster:
"Lewes decides what is appropriate and what is not"
Are you freakin' kidding?!!
We have always nicknamed the self appointed so-called guardians of Lewes the 'Arts-Mafia' - never has it felt more appropriate than now..

On 1 Sep 2008 at 10:35pm bubble wrote:
Agree with almost everything from smiler and juju, but must say I have found Tesco staff as pleasant as Waitrose, and please don't lump all the DFL's together (we're actually DFB's (Bucks) and are here because we've visited for over 25years and now at last have been lucky enough to move here and our pensions stretch far enough for a sausage sandwich and boiled egg and soldiers at Bill's now and then. Looking forward to watching Bonfire and maybe next year we'll be able to join in if any of the societies can welcome old codgers!

On 1 Sep 2008 at 10:50pm Juju wrote:
Smiler did you canoe up the ouse last week?
Bubble its the DFLs that want Lewes to be a little London and impose their way of living on us true Sussex folk that rattle my nerves, those that have moved here only because they want to send their little darlings to the New School and use this as an excuse never to have to repremand them for anything, those that dont want to embrace the Lewes and sussex way, they just want to be able to say they live here.

On 1 Sep 2008 at 11:20pm Smiler wrote:
No Juju it wasn't me last week.
What makes you think New School parents don't reprimand their kids?

On 1 Sep 2008 at 11:25pm Smiler wrote:
I forgot the smell of the brewery.
You're right Juju it's just awesome.

On 1 Sep 2008 at 11:38pm Lewesianne wrote:
I always think it smells like weetabix with hot milk!

On 1 Sep 2008 at 11:57pm Dog in A Cape. wrote:
When I'm so pissed that all the Lewes women look so pretty is good.

On 2 Sep 2008 at 12:09am Lewesianne wrote:
But not so good the following morning when you wake up with the Lewes Bike's dog breath in yer face!

On 2 Sep 2008 at 1:22am Dog in A Cape. wrote:
What's bike dog breath? Have we met? xx

On 2 Sep 2008 at 3:34pm Arse wrote:
Not much, its full of smart arse repressed wanna beee's.

On 2 Sep 2008 at 9:33pm Lewesianne wrote:
Dog in a Cape, the term bike used to be a word to describe an old slappa!
Have we met? You never know on this forum!!

On 3 Sep 2008 at 8:26am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Lol Juju, I agree with that and your earlier post so wholeheartedly that I had to check I didn't write them in my sleep!
I don't have any problem with anyone from anywhere moving to Lewes if they truly love the town and what it stands for, but it's all these people who want to turn it into Little-Hampstead-in-the-Downs that get on my wotsits.
Actually, it's probably down to the DFLs that it's getting harder to buy what you want/need in town. As shops become vacant, they more often than not get turned into houses or into some poncey Winkle-type "emporium" and no longer sell useful things. (I particularly regret the loss of Wyndhams shoe shop in the bottleneck - I never used to have to go to Brighton to buy shoes, now I can never find any that I like and that fit in Lewes).
And delicatessens - how many do we have now? 7, 8, 9? For a town of 16,000 people? If we get many more we'll all be able to go the a deli or cheese shop AT THE SAME TIME, ffs.

On 4 Sep 2008 at 9:29am Dog In A Cape wrote:
Some of the architecture is good... I want to live in Rotten House Rotten Row. Lewes has the prison to keep the naughty people out of Oxfam..handy.
Shame there's a few stuck up people with suspicious glares. [Me Paranoid? No!]
Some of the hippy chicks are worth barking at though. All in all Lewes is pretty good. Once I get my flock and a boat it will be even better.

On 5 Sep 2008 at 4:34pm hennnnry wrote:
spinster of this parish you are a bitter and twisted woman. I bet you don't own an acre of woodland.

On 5 Sep 2008 at 7:29pm harold wrote:
Eccentric? don't you mean intolerant and obnoxious?

On 5 Sep 2008 at 7:36pm anna wrote:
yucky person

On 5 Sep 2008 at 8:55pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
You left out the prefix "very".
Why would I want to own an acre of woodland? Would owning an acre or two improve my social or green status?

On 5 Sep 2008 at 10:14pm Violet wrote:
and Horlicks.. mm!

On 5 Sep 2008 at 10:20pm Violet wrote:
What's a DFL?

On 7 Sep 2008 at 3:03pm Hennnnry wrote:
i don't know, I just like trees a lot. I would love to be able to afford to pay for trees to be protected, maybe a place where children can go and help look after the environment, I am biased, i prefer trees to people really.

On 7 Sep 2008 at 10:11pm Frak wrote:
Stands for 'Down from London' but it's what the insular people of Lewes call anyone 'not from round ere' who might think slightly differently from them.

On 8 Sep 2008 at 8:55am Violet wrote:
a bit like those two characters from the League of Gentlemen then who say "local"? I'm DFL: Down from Lancashire! And I am missing the cheese.

On 26 May 2009 at 8:12am demon 2 wrote:
nothing its a go through for brighton and uckfield

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Harveys Brewery Lewes 39:132
Harveys Brewery Lewes

I think it is unlikely that the IMF will be involved at all in our deficit Tom. The government have offered to give lots of money... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde