Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

What shops does lewes need?

On 22 Jun 2011 at 9:05pm Rosie wrote:
Hi I've moved into lewes and have a house with a retail shop in Fisher Street. Anyway I have a few ideas what the shop could be but just wanted a local opinion as to what sort of shop would be wanted in lewes. I know it's not the best location so bearing that in mind any ideas welcome!
On 22 Jun 2011 at 9:14pm The Maggot. wrote:
Have you considered selling designer string.

On 22 Jun 2011 at 9:21pm Pervy Pete wrote:
Ann Summers.

On 22 Jun 2011 at 9:28pm MC wrote:
A car parts, mechanical thang. Somewhere I can get bearings, washers, nuts, grease and tools like calipers and spanners etc... ok a bit minority I know.

On 22 Jun 2011 at 9:31pm The Maggot. wrote:
Or what about a drive thru Chinese lantern emporium.

On 22 Jun 2011 at 9:43pm The Maggot. wrote:
A DFL T shirt shop.

On 22 Jun 2011 at 10:41pm Chuck wrote:
A pound shop please.

On 23 Jun 2011 at 1:40am supporter wrote:
KFC please not mcdonalds

On 23 Jun 2011 at 7:10am Cliffebimbo wrote:
An affordable children's clothes shop
On 23 Jun 2011 at 8:09am Vesbod wrote:
Yeah, a pound shop would be good.

On 23 Jun 2011 at 8:21am Jumbo Pete wrote:
How about an antiques shop or a hairdressers? Or an over priced DFL cafe with tables all over the road where little Tarquin and Rupert can run about and get in everyones way?

On 23 Jun 2011 at 8:41am Miss Booty wrote:
A decent greengrocers, a decent butchers, a decent fishmongers,
FFS.... no shops selling over priced nic naks and fripperies!!!!!!

On 23 Jun 2011 at 8:42am bastian wrote:
If you could see your way to stocking a mix and match of boys clothes,spanners,afforable cotton bedding...anything that we at present have to drive to east grinstead to buy would be good.

On 23 Jun 2011 at 8:49am The Maggot. wrote:
A solar powered ethically sourced yurt for when the DFL's go to Glastonbury.

On 23 Jun 2011 at 9:02am Clifford wrote:
Yes, I agree with those who said a pound shop. Something for people who haven't got money coming out of their ears.

On 23 Jun 2011 at 11:28am Mercian wrote:
"A solar powered ethically sourced yurt for when the DFL's go to Glastonbury. "
I thought Lewes had obtained its lentil-weaving reputation in the 1970s as a result of the opening of Sussex University - it's nothing to do with DFLs. Or are you a DFL yourself who doesn't understand local history?
In answer to the question - a really good bakers and a greengrocers with good value local produce. Oh, a bookshop would be good too.

On 23 Jun 2011 at 11:51am Ed Can Do wrote:
Miss Booty, there are two very good butchers in town already, Richards and Boathouse. There's also a very good fishmongers in Terry's and a pretty good greengrocer although you do have to go to the top of town for that.

On 23 Jun 2011 at 12:55pm Dumpty wrote:
A Primark

On 23 Jun 2011 at 1:12pm Mrs Twine wrote:
All of my yurts are from locally sourced lentils and can be waterproofed with cow dung from TT herds for a small extra cost.
I, too, would like a pound shop.

On 23 Jun 2011 at 2:26pm Mystic Mog wrote:
Well said Ed. Miss Booty you should get out more and discover what shops Lewes does have rather than join in with the tired jokes about twine etc.

On 23 Jun 2011 at 2:30pm Williamdyer wrote:
Baker isn't a bad call. I agree that some Market research is best way forward.

On 23 Jun 2011 at 3:49pm Miss Booty wrote:
Oi! Mystic Mog....where exactly in my message did I mention twine? My message read "A decent greengrocers, a decent butchers, a decent fishmongers,
FFS.... no shops selling over priced nic naks and fripperies!!!!!!"

On 23 Jun 2011 at 5:03pm Mr Forks wrote:
Hmmmm, scampi and lemon nic naks!
On 23 Jun 2011 at 6:45pm Decent Citizen wrote:
We had a £1 shop opposite Boots ,a shop in the Cliffe selling cheaper stuff. We had bakers,two in Fisher Street,one in Western Road,none of which lasted long!We had all those places mentioned,and more, but,it would seem they were unable to compete with the bigger outlet! STILL happy that Tesco may expand?High Street had,Macfisheries,Acres the bakers,large green grocers,Clarkes bread co,Priors butchers,Marshes butchers,ironmongers, International Stores.Cliffe had,Gamlys toy shop, ,small Tesco,Liptons,Keymarkets,post office,two greengrocers,a butchers, a fish shop,a clothes shop, hardware store,need I go on?NOW tell me Tesco was the best idea!We had it all and more.

On 23 Jun 2011 at 6:59pm MC wrote:
And the award goes to Decent Citizen for Post of the Month.

On 23 Jun 2011 at 7:02pm checkit out wrote:
Catlin is looking for somewhere a bit nearer civilisation than the needlemakers.

On 23 Jun 2011 at 7:31pm MC wrote:
Moving out of Lewes then?

On 23 Jun 2011 at 8:23pm rosie wrote:
It's certainly not going to be easy I think an Anne Summers type shop though not a chain shop would be great though incompatible with my other business somewhat! Kids clothes shop is needed but as stated a more affordable one is what is wanted but I guess small shops will always tend to have to produce upmarket stuff to survive as they are not selling in mass. We do have the original bread ovens in the house so any talented artisan bakers out there get in touch. Frankly though I'm totally stuck with all this. Obviously I take with a pinch of salt the lewes forum!!!!! and should do Market research in the yummy mummy streets as I guess that is where the money is!

On 23 Jun 2011 at 8:32pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
A bookshop for me, please! Amazon just isn't the same as a good browse.
I'd also quite like to be able to buy bras that fit without going into Brighton, but I realise a Norma Snockers shop would have a pretty limited market.

On 23 Jun 2011 at 9:29pm Deelite wrote:
The yummy mummies are already running their own shops. I guess you could swap goods with them if push came to shove.

On 23 Jun 2011 at 9:44pm MC wrote:
I'm going to have to adjust my image of you now ACT.

On 23 Jun 2011 at 10:05pm Julia Squeezer wrote:
No pot-pourri.

On 23 Jun 2011 at 10:55pm Mystic Mog wrote:
Miss B. Twine, nick nacks, fripperies call it what you will. However Ed Can do did highlight to you that there is indeed a decent greengrocers, butchers, and fishmongers in Lewes. Go and visit them not the nick nack shops.

On 24 Jun 2011 at 8:29am kitty cat wrote:
BRING BACK ICELAND, MORRISONS and as mentioned before A REALLY GOOD POUND SHOP. East Grinstead has a 99p shop and it is brilliant.

On 24 Jun 2011 at 1:49pm Roly Mo wrote:
Decent Citizen, most of the shops you have mentioned were operating in the 1970's. As far as I remember Tesco (as it is now) did not come into Lewes until the mid 90's, so we really can't blame them for the demise of the high street. If we had decent, functional shops in the High St, that don't charge silly prices, than I would be happy to shop there.

On 24 Jun 2011 at 2:03pm Julia Squeezer wrote:
How about a fish pedicure spa for real men, using piranha instead of garufa fish?

On 24 Jun 2011 at 4:33pm lovelewes wrote:
A BOOK SHOP?????? NO WAY!!!!!! there are plenty no places in lewes selling books!!!!! whatever the shop..... not the bloody same as the rest and affordable....

On 25 Jun 2011 at 5:09am Clifford wrote:
lovelewes - which shops do you mean? Smiths and British Bookshops? They're not what people mean when they say 'bookshop'.

On 25 Jun 2011 at 10:15am Ed Can Do wrote:
Maybe lovelewes meant Bags of Books, Bow Windows, the Pipe Passage bookshop, A & Y Cummings or the 17th Century Bookshop, not to mention the large quantities of books in all the charity shops? There's one down the Cliffe too isn't there, next to the computer repair place? We have lost a couple since the 90's though when there was also one where Cheese Please is now (Unicorn Books?) and the Cliffe Bookshop next to English's Passage. I'm pretty sure we're all right for bookshops though, even if you don't count Smiths and Smiths 2.

I honestly can't think of anything I'd want to buy that I can't get in a small shop in Lewes but then if it's not available in Lewes I just buy it off the internet. Actually, I take that back, we could do with a decent shop to buy trainers, I do have to go into Brighton for those, although I fear there isn't the market in Lewes for a dedicated trainer shop.

On 25 Jun 2011 at 11:00am Williamdyer wrote:
We have sports and outdoor, but given that we are in national park now perhaps a rambling/running shop would work, especially with an Internet 'backend'

On 26 Jun 2011 at 5:26pm bastian wrote:
, new bookshop,not second hand,and the unicorn shop was where the shoe shop is now.Now hmv is on the skids it would be daring for someone to start a dvd and book shop for people who don't shop on the intanet like old people and those who don't want to risk their details in cyberland...there is skylark though,they are giving it a go and octave is brilliant

On 26 Jun 2011 at 5:29pm bastian wrote:
Williamdyer,why do people think they need to dress in expensive clothes to walk on the downs?it isn't wales where there is a down pour regularly.We have enough outdoor stuff here

On 27 Jun 2011 at 12:19pm lovelewes wrote:
i agree with ed can do!!! he sums it up of what i mean... something we dont already have would be the answer to the thread, id say!!

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Weeds for sale 130:132
Weeds for sale

He runs this country in the current vacuum of effective leadership. It's a disastrous time for it to happen. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the fact it's safe enough to leave windows open and shops don't need to put grills up at night.
Maddie