Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

What is a lewesianne?

On 10 Jan 2008 at 9:45pm Of the opinion wrote:
I have noticed that many people consider themselves to be a Lewesianne. Can someone define that exact definition of a Lewesianne. Also, how many generations does it need to include?
And finally, When people attach themselves to a certain group there is generally a belief system within that group. Can someone please tell me what a Lewesianne stands for?

On 10 Jan 2008 at 10:43pm Louis wrote:
From the tone of your post I take it that you have recently moved into the town from elsewhere (probably London) and feel like an outsider?
A vague understanding of what this town is about would allow you to realise what a Lewesian is passionate about.
My advice to you is to live, breathe and experience the wealth of the town, then pose the same question.
On 11 Jan 2008 at 7:30am FA wrote:
[Quote]My advice to you is to live, breathe and experience the wealth of the town, then pose the same question[quote]
Oh my god...live, breathe and experience the wealth ? what a crock of s**t.
So what exactly IS the town "about" ?....the fact that it has more antique shops and hairdressers than residents ? Our xmas lights are probably the worst in the country ? We have a parking scheme that is driving people to other, nicer towns ? or is the fact that the town is full of arty-farty snobs who are too far up themselves to welcome people from London here.
Of the opinion.....do yourself a favour and move to Burgess Hill or Uckfield

On 11 Jan 2008 at 8:07am Lewesianne wrote:
It's Lewesian, actually. My forum name, Lewesianne is the feminine version! But I have lived in Lewes all my life but don't go round saying "I'm a Lewesian"

On 11 Jan 2008 at 12:43pm Of the opinion wrote:
A little message to Louis....... Thankyou for your advice and your suppositions about who and where I am from, which wasn't an answer to my question, but just an insinuation! I am not from London and do not feel like an outsider!
I do believe that being part of a community is about having the social skills to get on with all walks of life! However, I do feel that in my experience Lewesian's need to embrace the wider community. After all, we are ALL only custodians of a place for a short while and none of us have territorial rights over a place. Lets face it, the Lewesian's and their families probably did not exist when most of the buildings in Lewes were built. I think that it is important for Lewesian's to embrace all walks of life because different people have good things to bring to a town. And if Lewesian's do not change their attitude it will only fuel a them and us divide within this town.
Also, I don't know why there is an adversity towards London people coming into Lewes with money. They can only benefit the town's economy which would suffer without them. Do we really want the high street littered with bargain basement shops selling cheap crap?
And regards to the usual whinge about house prices. That is down to government policy. There are a shortage of properties with relatively low interest rates. It is basic economic principles (supply and demand) that fuel the house price increases that we see all over the country.
I generally find that people who like to live and work in the same place for generations don't have the career aspirations that give an income necessary for home ownership that people moving into the town have had. ...... Could there be a jelous streak that is dressed up with territorial rights?

On 11 Jan 2008 at 3:27pm Nige Frosdick wrote:
Oh no, I've openly admitted my identity on a public forum, and now I realise I wasted a privileged education, don't posess the career aspirations to afford to inhabit the County Town and am probably a cyber laughing stock . And all along I based my life on a vague premise that " Sussex People won't be Druv" Somebody ....pass me the Luger

On 11 Jan 2008 at 4:01pm Hugh Jarse. wrote:
What,Nige Frosdick is your real name?

On 11 Jan 2008 at 4:07pm Dick Puller wrote:
I couldn't believe that either.

On 11 Jan 2008 at 7:50pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
I'm not a Lewesian, but I'm very much in love with this town. Sure it can be irritatingly parochial at times, but that's one of the pleasures of this town. Many towns and villages across the UK have lost their spirit, but Lewes still has a strong sense of identity (to which I primarilly credit Bonfire). Unfortunately, Lewes seems to be a victim of it's own success - to which I will refer you back to Pete Messers article in the Sussex Express (post below).
I'm not a Lewesian, but feel that I have integrated well into the town and (dare I say it) feel that I can call Lewes "home".
When push comes to shove, how many Lewesians can honestly state that they were born in the town? Maybe it's a case of "Ask not what Lewes can do for you, but what you can do for Lewes"?

On 12 Jan 2008 at 1:26am lewes lover wrote:
lewis is a british town with it's own identity which is good but it dont half make people stuck up anyone agree

On 12 Jan 2008 at 7:03am FA wrote:
Makes them illiterate too

On 12 Jan 2008 at 9:56am Nige Frosdick wrote:
LOL...It's my real name, and a few Lewesians know me . Did you think I copied it off a gravestone, or invented it . LOL. If I'd wanted to be incognito, I think I would have chosen Tom Paine, or one of the Martyrs off the memorial.Maybe even Hugh Rae, of the clothes shop. Surely that can't be a real name ?... I was concieved in the town, born in Brighton Hospital, early 1954. Like to think of Sussex as "home". Hugh, do you have a posh cousin ..Hugh Janus

On 12 Jan 2008 at 10:51am FA wrote:
He's got a big brother....Mike Hunt

On 12 Jan 2008 at 12:12pm Betty Swollocks. wrote:
Oh,I know hin now...He's got a sister called Cary Hunt!
On 12 Jan 2008 at 12:18pm me wrote:
i think i know their cousin emma roids

On 12 Jan 2008 at 1:49pm Betty wrote:
He he he...Keep 'em coming.Love 'em.

On 12 Jan 2008 at 6:30pm Sean Bush wrote:
My wife had a funny maiden name, Fanny Itchen!

On 12 Jan 2008 at 6:55pm Of the opinion wrote:
Lewes Lover, I do feel that when people refer to others as "Stuck up", or "snobs" or even up themselves", actually insinustes that the individual that is dishing the acqusation is rather insecure about themselves, particularly in the company of certain people. I find that a great skill is to have the confidence to mix with all sorts from all backgrounds. After a while you see the individual rather than a label!

On 12 Jan 2008 at 8:01pm Northern Bigot wrote:
Fanny Itchen - did she go to school with Jenny Taylor, Ophelia Dick and Honor Back? Honor went out with Ivor Small Toole.

On 12 Jan 2008 at 9:00pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Dear FA,
Is Mike Hunt's brother called Issac?

On 12 Jan 2008 at 9:26pm Miss Whiplash wrote:
Think his Mum was a Pole called Youra....
On 12 Jan 2008 at 9:32pm Miss Whiplash wrote:
Sorry,Yourac.

On 12 Jan 2008 at 9:37pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Well done to you all - you have made my mascara run from laughing too much!

On 13 Jan 2008 at 12:52am Betty wrote:
Thought Yourac Hunt had a brother called Wayne Kerr....

On 13 Jan 2008 at 11:17am Of the opinion wrote:
Ah! Now I see what constitutes a Lewesian!

On 14 Jan 2008 at 6:30pm I dont live in lewes anymore wrote:
A Lewesianne is a person who enjoys feeding parking meters. They enjoy close company and are happy living in a town which won't be complete until the planning dept' have filled up every teeny little space with expensive housing.
They take to flooding like a duck takes to water.
Every Nov 5th come rain or shine they ritually explode effigies of people they dislike.
They are easily pacified...
PhilX

On 14 Jan 2008 at 10:10pm Isaac Hunt wrote:
A lewesian is anyone who loves the town enough for change to be carefully moderated and negotiated, rather than imposed, whether they are born in Lewes or moved here last week.

On 15 Jan 2008 at 7:18am I dont live in lewes anymore wrote:

Dear Isaac Hunt,
The name reminds me of a euphemism as in "The fellow's a bit of an Isaac Hunt "?
Regarding your post; The words "moderated" and "negotiated" are words that form the corner stones of democracy.
I'm not sure where you've been for the past few years, but if you'd been in the vicinity of Lewes you would have noticed that those words are not followed by ESCC and it's agents.
"Imposed" and "Lumpit" have been substituted.
PhilX

On 17 Jan 2008 at 11:19am Lewesianne wrote:
It's really flattering that there is a huge thread about me but I'll tell you what a Lewesianne really is..............it's a lovely, kind, generous, caring, considerate, compassionate, non-selfish, warm hearted, helpful, friendly, glamorous, beautiful, stunning, gorgeous, intelligent, creative, amazing person on this forum.
That's what a Lewesianne is!

On 17 Jan 2008 at 2:19pm Cliffish wrote:
I'm Cliffish, my wife if Clifftein (being a lady). Our children are Ciffettes, except the boys who are Clifftastic. FACT.
Some of our friends live in Malling. Though pronounced MAWLLING they are not Maltesers, oh no. Men are Malladjusted, women Mallcontent, and children Mallingerers. FACT.
Anyone from Offham is an off. (Depending on whatever is this week's prevailing Sussex dialect.) FACT.

On 17 Jan 2008 at 2:59pm I dont live in lewes anymore wrote:
We shall wed...

On 17 Jan 2008 at 3:24pm Zola wrote:
That makes me a Nevilleine then,quite like the sound of that...
We also have Landportants.Ousettes,Prioricks.....

On 17 Jan 2008 at 9:45pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Oh Zola,
You couldn't resist that could you?

On 18 Jan 2008 at 11:45am Lewesianne wrote:
Walladians, Pellsians, Mallingians, Ringmerites, Cuilfailians, Kinstonians, Southovarians, Winterbournarians, Houndinian. Barcombian....getting boring now.

On 23 Jan 2008 at 9:57pm lopster wrote:
Landportions surely?

On 26 Jan 2008 at 8:20am Lewesianne wrote:
Now I like that one!

On 16 Nov 2008 at 12:52pm J,J,OF NEVILL wrote:
MY FAMILY ARE LAWESIANNAS, BECAUSE OUR FAMILY GO,WAY,WAY BACK.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

The Bottleneck 113:132
The Bottleneck

One could say "alternative facts".....climate change is a hoax, i know so because the fossil fuel industry told me.

You just... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like BONFIRE NIGHT, and of course all the out-meetings which go on around this time - and the loud bang at the crack of dawn!
Jojo