Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

What Lewes needs

On 8 Dec 2011 at 10:49pm Metatron wrote:
What should be on the Christmas list to make Lewes an even better place.

On 8 Dec 2011 at 11:23pm the old mayor wrote:
FREE Parking ?

On 9 Dec 2011 at 12:24am Janet Street Preacher wrote:
A bridge from Southover St to the railway land
Pedestrianisation of Cliffe High Street (its a car park)
More stuff for teenagers to do
Better access to the river
A river walk from Cliffe bridge to the Snowdrop
More pubs with pool tables
An annual acoustic festival in the Grange
Effective flood defences
Its existing political boundaries
An MP we can trust to do what he says he will do
Continued Creative use of the phoenix industrial area

On 9 Dec 2011 at 7:57am Paul Newman wrote:
New Boundaries and thus an end to inward looking parochialism in its public life
Some focus on Pells School, still on special measures I believe
Forward planning on school places to accommodate the ever increasing numbers of children in our fecund town
Nice to think of Lewes as bursting with new life though, the future looks bright

On 9 Dec 2011 at 8:23am DFL wrote:
Free beer ?

On 9 Dec 2011 at 9:16am Fairmeadow wrote:
More places for local people to live at a price/rent they can afford.
An attractive riverside.
The end of the parking scheme that is destroying local business & tourism.

On 9 Dec 2011 at 9:29am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Abolition of the parking scheme
Affordable housing for local people
An attractive Riverside development
A cinema
A really good independent bookshop (bring back Cliffe bookshop, ideally)
A byelaw requiring Harveys to be sold in all licensed establishments in the town
Decent Christmas lights for next year - the current ones are unbelievably sad.

On 9 Dec 2011 at 9:41am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Having read the recycling thread, I'd like to add doorstep collection od food waste, cardboard and garden waste to my list!

On 9 Dec 2011 at 10:02am some0ne else wrote:
I'd like to see something done about traffic in Market Street, Fisher Street and Station Street, but I admit I don't know what. Pedestrianisation of all would be lovely, but I can't see how it could be made to work.

Remove overhead phone lines at the bottleneck, so there's no longer a height limit on Tabs!

I realise parking is a problem, but I'd love to see good development on the top East Street car park. Parking in a town as lovely as Lewes needs to be out of sight, and I hate the way the view down Market Street breaks down into a sea of cars.

And my genius masterplan is this (but there's no money for it): build a new County Hall somewhere down Phoenix / North Street way, with a massive underground car park to act as a sump for flooding, and to provide weekend parking for shoppers. It would be better placed for ESCC for the town centre, and easier to get to from out of town. Demolish the ugly existing County Hall, taking it off the Downs skyline. Build affordable housing on the County Hall site, promoting the economic rejuvenation of the top of the High St. Simple!

Finally, there are some nice places to eat in Lewes but no really, really good ones. I'd love for there to be a Michelin-starred restaurant somewhere.

On 9 Dec 2011 at 11:37am Normal adult wrote:
Much of the above (especially Harvey's Law), but also a bye-law limiting households to one child each, to stop the town becoming like a creche.

On 9 Dec 2011 at 12:27pm Clifford wrote:
I'd put decent affordable housing for local people right at the top of the list.

On 9 Dec 2011 at 1:58pm Dingo wrote:
Affordable housing for locals,local power generation projects( I don`t mean burning waste).Re- building of a bridge over the Ouse from Lewes to Hamsey.Buses that run later than six o`clock to Landport.Free beer.Chair lift from Lewes to Caburn?
On 9 Dec 2011 at 3:35pm Chuck wrote:
McDonalds.

On 9 Dec 2011 at 4:19pm bastian wrote:
oi! that sump idea was mine..let's build it. other wise everything you have all said.
On 9 Dec 2011 at 4:50pm observer wrote:
A clean up of the river Ouse would be great and not just by Tescos but right up to Southerham where this is a ton of rubbish in the river which can be clearly seen at low tide. Also it would be nice to see more pleasure boats using the Ouse, after all thats what rivers are all about. The banks are really bad in places and these are not caused by pontoons in fact those are really cared for in spite of what planning say. I notice the old Quay just before the railway bridge has been done up, Well done! it certainly looks better than the surrounding area.
On 9 Dec 2011 at 5:14pm Burger Queen. wrote:
Out shopping in Newhaven and Crawley recently with my daughter in law and my grandchildren I wnded up thinking how much a fast food outlet would be really welcome in Lewes.
We were all starving and McDonalds and Burger King fitted the bil perfectly for us all.
I was thinking of that empty ex £ shop near Tescos?
Out of the way of the town....
On 9 Dec 2011 at 5:26pm brixtonbelle wrote:
Wow - much accord on this thread. Brilliant !

I'd like to see the riverside improved and river used more. Love houseboats - maybe that leads to the next on the wish list....

Decent affordable housing for local families

A cinema - a real one, that operates every day.

A better bus service

A couple of decent local restaurants / french / italian style bistor and a modern british michelin starred place - it's just bizarre that there isn't one or two - like Ludlow.

More trains to London Bridge, more trains overall - they are packed at all times of the day and night. Four an hour would be great !!

I'd like more facilities for teenagers - was heartened to see a club night for 14-18 year olds starting in Phoenix - more plse.

Finally - Street trees - for a town in the middle of a national park there's a huge dearth of street trees. More please ! Would also help with pollution, can be used to slow traffic (as chicanes or by decreasing sightlines). More planting along riverbanks could even help with flooding and stopping soil erosion.
On 9 Dec 2011 at 5:50pm Verdant wrote:
Hard to fit trees in such narrow roads and footpaths. Think about it...

On 9 Dec 2011 at 7:06pm nickotee wrote:
as one of the elder inhabitants,i would ask that the bloke who jacks the castle up a notch at night please stop,the hills are steep enough [ or could this be just my age ?,surely not !]
On 9 Dec 2011 at 7:19pm working class geezer wrote:
We need a market. Not a poncy one like we already have but one that sells stuff that most people need.
We need a pound shop, a low cost mens clothes shop and a fast food establishment like McD's.
We need Iceland back....Laura Ashley typifies everything that's bad about this town.
We need more useful shops that sells things that are needed by all....not just middle class yummy mummies with more money than sense.
we need more affordable housing...this town is absolutely ridiculous for both house prices and rent.
On 9 Dec 2011 at 7:32pm Middle Class Geeza wrote:
As a middle class geeza I just wish all the working class geezas were priced out of town as soon as possible. They make the place look and sound cheap and tacky.
I hear Ringmer is a nice place for you, and Peacehaven is up and coming too.

On 9 Dec 2011 at 8:13pm bastian wrote:
tosser..
WC Geezer you have a good point about markets,years ago there was one at the cattle market site( when the cattle were'nt there)This is a market town.Whenever we find ourselvs visiting other towns like Bridport they have a brilliant market selling everything.

On 9 Dec 2011 at 8:35pm Fairmeadow wrote:
An excellent thread - lots of really good ideas.
Let's hope the planners get to read it, or some of our councillors draw it to their attention, and they take notice.

On 9 Dec 2011 at 8:56pm popeye wrote:
I agree Fairmeadow, an excellent thread especially the bits about the ouse. Houseboats, pleasure craft, boats moored along the banks. How magical but I am afraid it will never happen. For some reason there are people out there that will oppose anything that gives affordable pleasure. Observer and Brixtonbelle I totally agree with your postings.

On 9 Dec 2011 at 9:22pm Southover Queen wrote:
Hurrah! Brilliant, everyone.

Here are a couple to add:
Pedestrian crossings - one at the station is really urgent and someone is going to get seriously hurt there soon. It's also quite a scramble getting across to the new nick with traffic hurtling down West St.

Resurfacing of the bypass. I'm lucky because I'm sheltered by several rows of houses from the road noise, but yesterday the noise from the bypass was incredible. It really does affect everyone on the southern side of the high street.

A proper performance venue. My group uses St John sub Castro, which used to seat about 370. Now because of health and safety concerns it's down to 300 just on the ground floor and it makes it completely uneconomic. So how about a mixed use performance/leisure space which seats 500-600? We've got loads going on culturally here in our little town, and nowhere to stage it.

On 9 Dec 2011 at 10:37pm Sceptic. wrote:
Chamber of Commerce...Planning commitee...The Masons....We have a huge hurdle to go through. Agree?
Remember that pizza parlour right in the bottleneck years ago?
If I remember rightly someone objected to a blue neon sign they wanted outside their shop.
Not a lot of hope for a MaccyDs...

On 10 Dec 2011 at 9:39am bastian wrote:
the trouble with the river bank is that it is largely privately owned, every so often bits of it come up for sale.Not for public use.

On 10 Dec 2011 at 4:23pm Mr Forks wrote:
Conservative voters to be culled!

On 10 Dec 2011 at 5:50pm popeye wrote:
Hi bastian, I think you will find that its only the river bank on the roadside thats been sold. The other side is always full of walkers and so it should be. Mind you on the day of the raft race both sides were chocker with public and I am sure the owners did not object. To see boats moored along the river bank gives it some charm I think.

On 11 Dec 2011 at 6:10am Pot head pixie wrote:
Some decent quality drugs

On 11 Dec 2011 at 8:29am bastian wrote:
don't get me wrong popeye, I would love to see the river used, it's a great place to muck about in the summer.

On 11 Dec 2011 at 10:59am Piles queen wrote:
Some common sense in the planning department. A multi story car park and get shot of tescos and, give the small business's a chance

On 11 Dec 2011 at 1:52pm observer wrote:
Hear Hear Piles Queen ( I nearly put cream ) Ha Ha.

On 11 Dec 2011 at 4:37pm Birxtonbelle wrote:
Completely cpncur with working class geezer. A proper weekly market selling everything from vegetables to shoes/clothes to household goods would be fantastic. My old home town (not Brixton) still has an absolutely thriving Monday morning market despite the presence of a great shopping centre, two major departments stores, supermarkets and the usual high st shops. It also has a great fruit and veg market every day. The precinct or the car park behind Waitrose where the car boot is would be a perfect venue.

Is there anything similar in Brighton or Eastbourne even ?

On 11 Dec 2011 at 5:23pm Pilesqueen wrote:
The present parking scheme is so counterproductive. No one benefits from it apart from giving jobs to the nerds that patrol the car parks in their blue uniforms (bet that gives them a .ard on) !

On 11 Dec 2011 at 5:27pm Shopper wrote:
Yes, there are some great street markets around. Ideal for shifty slightly-dishonest b*ggers to flog knock-off goods, seconds, cheap tat and generally second-rate rubbish to unsuspecting shoppers who need to have eyes in the back of their heads to spot all those charming traditional scams that markets are famed for...

On 11 Dec 2011 at 5:49pm Pilesqueen wrote:
Creams good 'observer'
On 11 Dec 2011 at 7:21pm Restaurant Inspector wrote:
Brixtonbelle, You say you would like to see a couple of decent local restaurantsâ?¦you should have lived here in the eighties and early nineties when I first moved here, there were lots. They were mainly only open evenings and a few just open at lunchtime. They were all independent, and run by the owners.
The ones that I remember, starting in the bottleneck:
The Bull House, Bottleneck
Kenwards, Pipe Passage (Michelin starred)
Tatler, High street
La Cucina, Station Street
Trumps, Station Street
Lunch Counter, Station Street
Olivers, School Hill
Crackers, School Hill
Arm Chair Pizza Company, behind the Volley (now a charity shop)
Weighed In, Bear Lane (now the John Harvey)
The ovens, Cliffe High Street
Thackerys, Malling/South Street (junction Cliffe High Street)
La Scapina, South Street
The Riverside Seafood Restaurant, South Street (on the river front opposite the Snow Drop)

I haven't included the Chinese and Indian restaurants as most of them are still the same.

On 12 Dec 2011 at 4:14pm Tango wrote:
So pleased that someone remembers Thackery's. Used to be owned and run (he was chef) by an old school friend of mine, chap called Graham Funnell. Lost touch with him and he'd gone by the time I'd DFL'd some 11 years ago. Anyone know what became of him?

On 13 Dec 2011 at 5:03pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Graham lives in South Street and runs rather superb cookery courses out of where Thackery's used to be. thackerys.co.uk for details.

On 15 Dec 2011 at 8:03am Deckard wrote:
An Enema!!!

On 15 Dec 2011 at 1:40pm pint of beer is anuff wrote:
some kind of way to look round corners in a car because the lamb in market lane you can not see round the corner because of the side off the lambs wall ????????

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Closet and Botts window 28:132
Closet and Botts window

it means in a large quantity more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy