Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Wetherspoons at The Crown?

On 4 Aug 2017 at 10:18am lewespubmaster wrote:
Is it true that The Crown is supposed to be becoming a Wetherspoons? Anyone know for sure?
On 4 Aug 2017 at 11:17am Lewesiana wrote:
That's not necessarily a bad thing. They are popular, they are nearly always busy, mainly because they sell unpretentious food & drink at reasonable pricing.
On 4 Aug 2017 at 11:24am Pedro wrote:
They tend to be a bit life/souless, but I guess if you want to go and drug yourself up on booze relatively inexpensively in public, then a wetherspoons is the place to go (park bench and some tins of Diamond White).

I'm sure it will take a bit of trade out of the other boozers near by. But thats business.
On 4 Aug 2017 at 2:47pm Drinker wrote:
It may take trade from other pubs but on the other hand could bring people in to down, people that would maybe sit and drink at home now that used to drink in town. I don't think it will be a bad thing after all you don't usually stay in one pub when your out..
On 4 Aug 2017 at 6:13pm menthal wrote:
did anybody read the argus yesterday and the bit about the ex landlady blaming the hotel inspector for the hotel's demise. I had to check the date and make sure it wasn't the 1st april
On 4 Aug 2017 at 7:37pm The Old Mayor wrote:
@Lewesiana Lewes and Unpretentious aren't usually found in the same conversation.
On 4 Aug 2017 at 8:51pm Stoned again wrote:
Please someone shoot him.
On 4 Aug 2017 at 9:05pm Marco wrote:
Anyone know the answer to the original question?
On 4 Aug 2017 at 10:46pm Jess wrote:
Who cares had enough of Harvey's ripping me off
On 5 Aug 2017 at 7:07am Sussex Drinker wrote:
@Jess- It is more a case of many pubs in Lewes charging more than necessary for all drinks. At least the Wetherspoon effect could bring more competitive pricing elsewhere.
On 5 Aug 2017 at 7:30am Andrea wrote:
I bought two drinks in The Griffin in Fletching this week, a small glass of white wine 175ml and a pint of lager shandy, for the princely price of 10.30. They certainly know how to charge.
On 5 Aug 2017 at 11:12am Richter scale wrote:
That's your fault Andrea, but thanks for the heads up one another "pub" to avoid
On 5 Aug 2017 at 11:25am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
A few 6 years ago, we stopped at the Griffin on the way back from somewhere, thinking we might stay for lunch.
They were having a barbecue and wanted 13 for what looked like a not very special burger. We went elsewhere.
Mind you, we could have opted for the barbecued half-lobster, but we couldn't arrange a second mortgage on a Sunday lunchtime.
On 5 Aug 2017 at 11:25am Clifford wrote:
I've been in Wetherspoon pubs in London and can't say they're really to my taste. However, as there's only one decent pub in Lewes I can't see what harm one here will do.
On 5 Aug 2017 at 11:41am Ruby wrote:
Cliford. Fascinating tale. Thanks
On 5 Aug 2017 at 12:56pm Redballs wrote:
Which one Clifford?
On 5 Aug 2017 at 1:01pm Drinker wrote:
Ever been to the Spoons in Tunbridge wells. Spectacular pub set in the old theatre. Still with stage and stalls. Spoons so try and keep old character buildings alive...
On 5 Aug 2017 at 2:39pm Stall holder wrote:
Is that the stalls in the Gents ?
On 5 Aug 2017 at 3:02pm Drinker wrote:
Is that even meant to be funny? You failed...
On 5 Aug 2017 at 6:50pm Stall holder wrote:
You can't be a drinker without them.
On 5 Aug 2017 at 11:24pm The Old Mayor wrote:
Well Drinker, there's definitely a large portion of character Wetherspoons won't want to retain at The Crown, namely the filth and customers.
On 6 Aug 2017 at 9:10am Mr Spoons wrote:
There's one right opposite the Queens residence, Windsor Castle. If that is possible, Lewes hasn't got a chance of not getting one. I been to a few when traveling on business. The buildings are sympathetically renovated, and on the whole they have pretty good chain style food and drink, on a budget. Usually very very busy including the one in Windsor.
On 6 Aug 2017 at 10:48am 21st. Century business wrote:
It'll be the best thing to happen in Lewes since the Cement Works closed. De gentrify the place.
On 7 Aug 2017 at 4:27pm Shirley wrote:
They're cheap and cheerful. I've found their staff to be good at the few I've been to. They've actually made eye contact and greeted me with phrases such as "hello, what can I get you". This is so much more than you get in many other places.
On 7 Aug 2017 at 6:03pm Temple wrote:
They are known as temples of iniquity. Lewes needs a Temperance movement.
On 7 Aug 2017 at 7:23pm Shirley wrote:
Save arseholes indeed.
On 7 Aug 2017 at 8:45pm Mrs Spoons wrote:
Shirley you are right about the welcome you get at some places. After driving past the Halfway House for many years without ever going in, I decided to pop in for a drink the other day. No welcome not even a smile from the older bar person, although I did notice the younger one was quite cheery. The older one in mention didn't raise a smile for anyone not even what I would think are regulars. This is a pub that you have to drive to so you would think they have to work hard to get customers to return...no return for me!
On 8 Aug 2017 at 6:56am Shirley wrote:
Strange isn't it, in the 'hospitality' business. People tend to think it's a younger versus older thing but, like you say, it's really not. I have it in my head that being a traditional publican can take its toll on mental health. Perhaps that's the difference with places like 'Spoons; the staff aren't living over the shop.

On 8 Aug 2017 at 8:23am Not wrote:
Save arseholes indeed ?? Shirley that's from another thread, the pride one.
On 12 Aug 2017 at 12:25pm Jessie wrote:
Bring on weatherspoons. There are several decent pubs in lewes. The others have sour faced land ladies that don't know how to smile. Drinkers under age drugs. Fights
at least ws won't put up.with that. Eastboune ones fantastic. Even coffee 99 pence. Then as many refills as you can drink food great .

7 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

heading for extinction 43:132
heading for extinction

I'm grateful for Nevillman starting this discussion and being so generous as to refer back to me. My delay in saying anything... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy