Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Western Road School Reception September 2011

On 13 Jul 2011 at 6:03pm Samantha R Loughran wrote:
If you are a parent/carer affected by the issues surrounding the Western Road School Reception year intake this September, please get in touch with me. I am setting up a private forum for parents/carers to keep in touch over the summer break. This forum will be by email invite only. You will need to email me so I can make you a member. Please note this forum is being set up voluntarily by myself (not the school).

On 13 Jul 2011 at 6:18pm Samantha R Loughran wrote:
Please email Sam@Nautiluswebdesign.co.uk
If you are the parent/carer of a child in the 2011 Reception year intake or just about to move up from current Reception to Year 1.
Any other concerned parents/carers at Western Road are also welcome.

On 13 Jul 2011 at 9:20pm Fedup wrote:

Post removed on request as untrue

On 14 Jul 2011 at 8:14am Grammar wrote:
Their name is mud - not there name is mud....

On 14 Jul 2011 at 8:21am hi wrote:
I think it is like the debate about overseas footballers playing for our teams. A decent sprinkling of DFL's help drag the standards up. Offering genes that aren't restricted in crippling little englishness.
On 14 Jul 2011 at 8:53am Samantha R Loughran wrote:
Everyone is still very emotional as we await the (final?) outcome. I am keeping fingers crossed. My son is one of the 'Secret 7'. I'm setting up the Forum to be positive and would prefer to discuss issues and set up social events / playdates there.

On 14 Jul 2011 at 9:46am Dave wrote:
Am I the only one who has no idea what this thread is about?

On 14 Jul 2011 at 9:49am Mr Forks wrote:
No, I have no idea either. Sounds exciting tho!

On 14 Jul 2011 at 9:50am No Idea wrote:
Dave, there are at least 2 of us.

On 14 Jul 2011 at 9:50am No Idea wrote:
three now!

On 14 Jul 2011 at 9:56am Roly Mo wrote:
I wonder if it's the same problem affecting Ringmer.

On 14 Jul 2011 at 10:16am Clifford wrote:
I think it may be some kind of cryptic crossword. Or maybe Russian spies communicating with one another. For example, 'My son is one of the 'Secret 7'.'

On 14 Jul 2011 at 10:34am Desmond wrote:
The swallow flies east as the sun sets over London

*wink wink*

On 14 Jul 2011 at 11:49am Georgina wrote:
I was one of the Famous 5. Can I join in too?!!

On 14 Jul 2011 at 12:03pm Get real wrote:
It's a primary school for heaven's sake!.....does it make much difference in the end which school they go to in Lewes., ..they aren't any bad ones as far as I know

On 14 Jul 2011 at 12:22pm Frankfurtersausage wrote:
Can somebody tell me what this thread is about. Samantha?

On 14 Jul 2011 at 12:37pm Clifford wrote:
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

On 14 Jul 2011 at 1:43pm Winterbourne Wanderer wrote:
Western Road is over-subscribed, so next term seven children who would ordinarily be in Reception have to go into Year 1.

On 14 Jul 2011 at 2:22pm Roly Mo wrote:
Yep, same as Ringmer.

On 14 Jul 2011 at 3:36pm 5 year old wrote:
Does it matter??? I think not....reception/year 1 do the same stuff.....scream, muck about, paint, fart, doodle, play with toys, cry, start to write, sing, etc

On 14 Jul 2011 at 4:04pm For Heavens Sake wrote:
It happens at many primary schools. What is the problem? If you don't like it send them to Hamsey. The more the merrier.

On 14 Jul 2011 at 4:25pm NotVeryGoodReally wrote:
"does it make much difference in the end which school they go to in Lewes., ..they aren't any bad ones as far as I know"

In accordance with section 13(3) of the Education Act 2005, Her Majesty's Chief Inspector is of the opinion that this school requires special measures because it is failing to give its pupils an acceptable standard of education and the persons responsible for leading, managing or governing the school are not demonstrating the capacity to secure the necessary improvement.
Letter to Pells CofE Primary School, September 2009
On 14 Jul 2011 at 4:27pm Dflgth wrote:
Basically, the class this year was oversubscribed and so 30 children were selected based on siblings and distance.

On 14 Jul 2011 at 5:27pm Ed Can Do wrote:
When I started at Southover (1984 I think) the reception class and class two as it was then were all lumped together (Although because of low intake I suspect, not the other way around) and I'm pretty sure everyone was happy enough with it back then. The top two classes were put together too, it's hardly the end of the world.
On 14 Jul 2011 at 6:36pm hi wrote:
Quite, think of it as if the lucky 7 have been fast tracked. With all the extra stimulation they get they may even develop a sense of perspective so lacking in their parents.

On 14 Jul 2011 at 8:09pm Roly Mo wrote:
Not so good for the Year 1's though. Same thing has happened at Ringmer. Now, if only those 7 would come to schoool in Ringmer and we could get an extra teacher.....

On 14 Jul 2011 at 10:03pm the old mayor wrote:
Yawn !!

On 15 Jul 2011 at 8:28am Western Rd Parent wrote:
Blimey! The amount of tosh on this thread is fairly breathtaking even by forum standards.
Schools are over subscribed this year all over the area. The situation in Western Rd has arisen from a number of appeals. These are handled by appeals panels independent of both the school and the county. In this case its led to the school having a number of pupils higher than its resource limit for reception.
The school has pros posed dealing with this by creating a mixed class of reception and year one (NOT putting reception kids into year one) plus having a reception class.
There are other possible options and though all have problems. For my money this is the least bad one. Its just new for Western Rd.

On 15 Jul 2011 at 10:42am RAD wrote:
For what it's worth, Southover has had joint yr 1/2, yr 3/4, and yr 5/6 classes for many years. It works very well with kids having good freiends across a number of year groups. The Western Road solution therefore sounds viable. That said I fully accept that some may see Reception as a special case and it is perfectly natural for parents to be concerned if they are being offered a service that is different to that provided to others.

On 15 Jul 2011 at 10:43am RAD wrote:
* friends *

On 15 Jul 2011 at 11:23am Birth Rate wrote:
Well we wouldn't be in this problem if you breeders stop dropping "miracles" every 5 minutes. You've only got yourselves to blame. Watch Eastenders instead or something

On 15 Jul 2011 at 11:24am Dave wrote:
Alternatively, accept the place but don't put your child into fulltime school until the term after their 5th brithday. We did that and had a much happier child as a result, he only went part time, and was sent fulltime after two terms.
We should follow the continental system, teach children social skills only in nursery until 6/7 years old, then start school to work with a vengeance, no playtime, all work. It fits better with the way children, especially boys, mature.

On 15 Jul 2011 at 12:19pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I heard that an unexpected influx of children means that this year 4-year olds exceed the number of reception class spaces massively (60+, allegedly). The first solution was to stick a temporary classroom at Malling school and double their intake this year.
I'd be interested to know if that's still the plan, as well as sticking barely 4-year olds in with kids who are rising 6.

On 15 Jul 2011 at 12:56pm Green wrote:
I believe that there is an additional class of mid 20 children at Malling. Lots of these children of course come from the West side of Lewes as the way the original allocation of places meant that anyone from Winterbourne/Houndean was excluded from their 3 local schools and sent to Pells/Malling, so necessitating driving rather than walking. So much for transition town...
I had also heard that there are unused rooms at Southover due to council storage so the additional class couldn't be created here. Don't know if it's true.
On 15 Jul 2011 at 1:56pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I'd be very hacked off about that if I was a Malling parent. An extra 20+ is a huge number for such a small school. Any younger siblings of the extra children will have a virtual right to go there as well, so the school will either have to grow and grow or local kids will have to go further afield.
On 15 Jul 2011 at 2:25pm Decent Citizen wrote:
The old way was better. Children in the catchment area with siblings etc, were given priority. Now it seems parents from far afield want their children in what (they believe is the best) to the detriment of other children.As far as I am aware ALL Lewes schools are good. We are very fortunate in Lewes with the education offered. If it is not good enough, I suggest you pay privately for your little darlings.
On 15 Jul 2011 at 2:49pm mercian wrote:
".As far as I am aware ALL Lewes schools are good. "
Pells has been judged to be unsatisfactory and has been put in special measures. So not all Lewes schools are good.

On 15 Jul 2011 at 3:52pm Another decent citizen wrote:
These aren't people from 'far afield', these are people in the west of Lewes ‚?? Winterbourne, etc ‚?? who didn't get their 3 closest schools. How would you feel if your neighbour a few yards down the road got one of those schools and you had to drive your child to the other side of Lewes, just because this year is heavily oversubscribed? Please stop blaming these parents ‚??¬†your argument seems to be based solely on not knowing where they actually live, and bizarrely making assumptions that they must be able to privately educate their children. All they want is to be able to go to their local school.

On 15 Jul 2011 at 5:18pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
School place planning is quite well organised, they work it out on the basis of babies registered in each area 4 years earlier.
What's lashed it up is families with children born in 2007/8 moving into the area, leading to a huge number of unplanned-for kids this academic year.

On 15 Jul 2011 at 7:23pm Malling Parent wrote:
Yes, we will be getting an extra reception class this year at Malling (although I thought it was 30 rather than 20). Not a big problem because we already have enough classrooms and one is being refurbished as a result. There is no way that they will be able to have two classes every year though unless they start knocking down houses to build more classrooms! It's going to get harder to get kids into Malling in future years - once siblings etc have been taken into account.

On 15 Jul 2011 at 9:22pm giveitarest wrote:
There are too many primary schools in Lewes. It's daft for such a small town to have so many single form entry schools. There would be more flexibility to cope with varying numbers in fewer, larger schools.
On 16 Jul 2011 at 2:32pm Samantha R Loughran wrote:
Very glad the dreadful malicious untruths have been removed... Disappointing that some people seem to think they can say pretty much anything under a pseudonym. Sigh...

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Harveys Brewery Lewes 39:132
Harveys Brewery Lewes

Hi. Has anyone been camping at Blackberry wood? I've booked with a small group for next month but am reading conflicting info on... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine