Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

We love PRIORY SCHOOL!

On 25 Mar 2011 at 8:23pm Emerson wrote:
THIS IS AN ONGOING DEBATE ABOUT PRIORY SCHOOL OPEN TO EVERYONE WHO HAS A SINCERE INTEREST IN EDUCATION AND OUR SCHOOL, AND WHOLEHEARTEDLY BELIEVES IN PARENTS' INVOLVEMENT, THAT IS: PARENTS SHOULD HAVE A SAY IN THEIR CHILDREN'S EDUCATION AND IN THE WAY OUR SCHOOL IS RUN. IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH THIS VIEW, PLEASE START A NEW THREAD.
I admit: The statement ‚??We love Priory‚?Ě is a bit of an exaggeration. Because of the number of people on this forum who are constantly insinuating that I would be hostile to Priory school, WHICH IS NOT TRUE, I thought there couldn't be a better way to start this thread than to use a positive, unequivocal statement that would encourage a civilized, open-minded, respectful debate to follow.
Obviously, as everybody knows, this forum has a reputation for being infested by thugs! But one must learn to put up with such individuals. At the end of the day, what really matters is to give voice to a number of decent, intelligent Lewesians who, however small in number, GENUINELY believe in school democracy and the value of participation, people who ultimately believe that the future of education in this country depends largely on their commitment.
So, rather than expect politicians and professional educators - who often get it wrong! - to always come up with new ideas designed to combat inefficiencies and inequality in our present education system, we parents, as citizens and co-educators, take issues in our hands and try to do something positive and constructive about them.
I am sure there are parents out there who share my views.

On 25 Mar 2011 at 8:58pm Notagain wrote:
No there isnt obviously.

On 25 Mar 2011 at 10:03pm Ash wrote:
ha soo funny all your year 11 smoke weed

On 25 Mar 2011 at 10:17pm Deelite wrote:
Now I know you're a nutter. How much LSD did you take?
This is still the wrong place to do this.

On 25 Mar 2011 at 10:54pm priory parent wrote:
Emerson - in the last thread you started, you called everyone who disagreed with you an idiot. In this thread you have said that you don't want to 'debate' with anyone who disagrees with you.

If there is a single person in the whole of Lewes who is less suited to being involved in the education of children than you, I'd be very surprised.

As someone said in the last thread, let the teachers teach. Thirty years ago, I received a fantastic education in a state comp much like Priory, where teachers were mercifully unencumbered by targets, the national curriculum, relentless bureaucracy and did not have to waste hours of their time justifying themselves. The very last thing teachers need is another mechanism to engage with and to justify themselves to.

What you are, Emerson, is a busybody. You cannot stand to think that there is anyone on this planet who would not benefit from your opinion. Please go away now - you have nothing to offer.

On 25 Mar 2011 at 11:44pm Harold wrote:
If you think you have any control on how your children turn out then think again, they will pick up on your way of thinking and keep or throw away your ideas , but also I have one of each as they say, and one hates priory and priory hates him, and one who loves priory , they have been bought up in the same way and with the same ideals , all i can hope for is that they will learn to love and live their lives and leave a good footprint of where they have travelled through this life we as perants have given them and not leave any pain behind them.
Stop trying to make your kids into `mini me`s`let them be` mini selves`
On 26 Mar 2011 at 12:08am Jonah wrote:
@Priory Parent, I too received an education 20 years ago. Yes It was Priory, and back then it was not a good school. Bullyism was strife. And those that were bullied were put in the lower set. Hardly fair is it? And It's still going on.i.e kids being put in the lower set!! It's a class thing now. Because most of those kids are from council estates. When I was at Priory in the 80's it wasn't a mixed school. Does anybody remember it was three different parts? Upper Priory, Middle Priory and Lower Priory. I think that was a better system than it is now.i.e 2000 kids cramped into one school.

On 26 Mar 2011 at 12:38am Harold wrote:
Jonah, I also left Priory in the 80`s,I also found that the bullies were from upper class families, ( kingston I found was prime in producing them)
On 26 Mar 2011 at 1:24am Webbo wrote:
Harold - post of the month nominee, votes welcome
On 26 Mar 2011 at 1:50am Cliffe Hanger wrote:
@Emerson. I have read your post several times. I have searched high and low, and done my best to ignore the shouty bits, looking for a question that you might be asking, or a subject that you are trying to debate. For the sake of my sanity, and I suspect that of others, would you please state in just one sentence what it is that you wish to discuss?
On 26 Mar 2011 at 9:03am bully wrote:
can you retards stop using the word bullyism!!! it is not a word and makes you sound like a muppet
On 26 Mar 2011 at 9:08am Emerson wrote:
Cliffe Hanger. You did not offend me, so I will not offend you, but to go through a long debate and not understand what it's about really makes me wonder! This debate is about PRIORY SCHOOL and PARENT INVOLVEMENT. Many of the comments above are irrelevant because they deliberately ignore the preliminary introduction:
THIS IS AN ONGOING DEBATE ABOUT PRIORY SCHOOL OPEN TO EVERYONE WHO HAS A SINCERE INTEREST IN EDUCATION AND OUR SCHOOL, AND WHOLEHEARTEDLY BELIEVES IN PARENTS' INVOLVEMENT, THAT IS: PARENTS SHOULD HAVE A SAY IN THEIR CHILDREN'S EDUCATION AND IN THE WAY OUR SCHOOL IS RUN. IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH THIS VIEW, PLEASE START A NEW THREAD.
I suspect these people have little or no connection with Priory, they haven‚??t set foot in a modern school since Victorian times (hence their very narrow-minded views!); they have a limited understanding of democracy (they probably think it‚??s to do with dropping bombs on dictators around the world!); and they just want to have a go at me (how pathetic is that!). Else why would they come back? Why is it that they can't put together one decent point of view other than "parents should stay at home, mind their own business and let the ‚??experts‚?? deal with running the school‚?Ě, which reminds me a bit of the Middle Ages when education was a matter for the aristocracy and the clergy, and no-one else had access to it. These people just don't have a clue! If they really see parents as idiots, who should let the business of education to the so called experts (but then, why bother to have children?), then they should really go and start another thread for .... Oooops, I nearly said something offensive then! I really can't argue forever with people with such limited views and scope in life. They even ignore the law (Education Act 1998 )! They are an insult to intelligence and civilization... they belong to the dark ages! Of course, in this debate there are obvious exceptions, such as Jonah, Harold, you (Cliff Hanger) and previously Poopooyay and Mr Veggie, and a few others I don‚??t recall their names, who have made some positive, constructive, intelligent comments, however critical of the school. It would be nice to have some members of school staff to participate. But I can understand their reluctance... there are so many morons & thugs on this forum! I am open to criticism but please spare me the bull‚?¶. I am allergic to it!
On 26 Mar 2011 at 9:10am Emerson wrote:
To JONAH: this business of grouping at Priory is an argument that every now and then springs up , together with the one about the lack of representation in our body of governors of representatives from the less affluent section of society. As for the latter, we can‚??t really accuse Priory of discriminating or favouring members of one social class, as there is no evidence of that. However, there is no doubt that a democratic school, as the law requires, should put in place ways and instruments (policies) to allow the wider participation to the business of running a school and to encourage those who have hitherto been left out, for cultural and political reasons or lower expectation, to take an interest and, possibly, a more active role.
I am not sure this is happening at Priory. I know for sure the Head teacher reads these comments. If he is reading this, then he should have a look at the school policy and vision (which is being re-written as we speak) to take into account the voice of those parents who have either been hit in the past by school bullies from the top (those who would bring back corporal punishment, if they could!) and those who are being the victims of a system of grouping which is still largely adopting an unfair, socially divisive, undemocratic, punitive and ultimately selective approach to deal with the problem of underachieving pupils.
On 26 Mar 2011 at 9:11am Emerson wrote:
On the subject of our children and the influence we exert on them, I will say that while this is inevitable. I am more concerned of the ethical message that our school will pass on to our children, which I don‚??t always agree with. I guess I will have to live with it.
One of the reasons why I believe active parent involvement is important is precisely this: as parents, we should have a say not just in the way our school is run but also the quality of its curriculum, its vision, the ethos, the political and cultural values that our children will, inevitably, be exposed to. If you went to live in Italy, and your child went to school there, then your child would be exposed to that country‚??s cultural and ethical heritage and general approach to moral issues. This is inevitable. That is why, if a parent can afford to, he/she will always try and enrol his child into an Independent ‚??Anglosaxon‚?Ě ‚??Church of England‚?Ě style school where the British view of the world is taught. It is called cultural conditioning and, while it is inevitable, in my opinion it is not always a wise choice. The way to go should be that of developing in the child the habit of a critical mind, capable of understanding and discriminating knowledge and any form of cultural influences coming from the world around us and any attempts to indoctrinate us. However, I will say that my daughter has her own opinions QUITE DIFFERENT FROM MINE! For instance, she is a Christian and I am an atheist! I like Jazz, she hates it; she loved Southover and I didn't. It is unfair to expect a child of 12, who is at an age where she is slowly working out for herself what's good and bad, right and wrong, to come up with opinions on our topic of discussion, parent involvement at Priory but, on the whole, she approves of my active interest in school life. However, what I do object, is the school trying to impart "life skills" to children, which we have already talked about, so I won‚??t dwell too much on it! I‚??ll just say that, in my opinion, they are a collection of patronising, old fashioned concepts of little or no educational value designed to keep children away from drugs and early sex! In my days we studied philosophy of life. Today we prefer to trivialize everything!
On 26 Mar 2011 at 9:30am Notagain wrote:
Have you got mental issues?? YOU are the only one in YOUR debate. Go and have it somewhere else. You could start a website called Emerson.co.uk and have a forum where only You comment. Only then will you be happy. Goodbye
On 26 Mar 2011 at 10:54am supporter wrote:
quit now we don't want your shouting and ranting.
notagain makes a great point
On 26 Mar 2011 at 12:08pm Mr Vegetables wrote:
He's annoying me now too, and I'm not even a real person.

On 26 Mar 2011 at 2:55pm Emerson wrote:
NOT AGAIN: it's not just me: there is you, too! I wish you and Supporter join the Morons' debate! Go away!
On 26 Mar 2011 at 4:02pm supporter wrote:
you are so full of yourself I really feel sorry for your kids.
This is not a debate, it is your rants and anyone that dares to disagree with the mighty emerson is shouted at get a life
On 26 Mar 2011 at 4:58pm Notagain wrote:
I would love to have a debate but everytime I ask you a question I get a 3 page answer not answering the question. Then you start a new thread again to avoid having to explain yourself. I carry on this debate as I find it so amusing that you carry on wasting your time spouting out rubbish.
On 26 Mar 2011 at 7:02pm bastian wrote:
haven't you people learned yet,the only way to shut him up is not to reply

On 26 Mar 2011 at 7:45pm Anti-bully wrote:
Oh my oh my oh my. This is a thread on how to be a bitch male or female other than Priory school. I moved to this town a while ago and I have never come across such nonsense in my life. Lewes is a nice town but it is ruined by busy bodies and people who hate debates. I have been looking at all your names in this forum from past and present and there are a few of you who do pick on other people too. Things you all say are very hurtful to peoples feelings. If you don't like each others posts, say it kindly why you don't agree. Not name calling. I do enjoy a good debate but this one looks like it's getting out of hand! Does anybody agree with me on that?

On 26 Mar 2011 at 7:51pm Anti-bully wrote:
Oops forgot to put my subject of my post "get rid of serial forum bullies" and go make yourselves a big cup of mannerrrrrsssssssssssssssss

Oops forgot to put my subject of my post "get rid of serial forum bullies" and go make yourselves a big cup of mannerrrrrsssssssssssssssss

On 26 Mar 2011 at 8:14pm fred wrote:
I am in agreement with you, anti bully. but you posted four times lol
On 26 Mar 2011 at 8:21pm Emerson wrote:
TO HAROLD: "If you think you have any control on how your children turn out then think again ‚?¶"
This is an interesting point that deserves some thought: ‚?¶
We, as parents, may not necessarily want to ‚??control‚?Ě how our children grow up; however, we all have expectations and aspirations. Is it wrong? I don‚??t think so.
It doesn‚??t mean that we want our children to be like us (God forbid, someone might say!) or to conform to our vision of the world.
My daughter and I talk a lot; we agree and disagree on a number of issues. Unfortunately, she went to a Catholic school (not my choice) in town and then to a CoE school, which means that she is now a Christian, while both her parents are non-believers. I find this contradicts the freedom of faith, and from faith, which is an important trait of secular, democratic society like ours.
My daughter and I couldn‚??t be any different: she, born in England, grown up in an affluent little town of Sussex from middle class parents; I, born in a small village in the mountainous village of Southern Italy from semi-illiterate farmers. Living in another country means your children will inevitably absorb the local culture and become very different from you, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
At the end of the day, I do share your view that all we can hope for is that our children freely develop their own identity and live a happy life. Parents‚?? nationality and cultural identity will no longer have no bearing on our children‚??s: they have suddenly become irrelevant.
Anti-bully, thanks for your understanding!
On 26 Mar 2011 at 8:23pm Deelite wrote:
Oh gawd
On 27 Mar 2011 at 8:50am Emerson wrote:
ANTI-BULLY, You know what I think of bullies. If they are ignored, they'll go away. The more you reply to them the more you'll feed their miserable ego and encourage their poison to be spread. You only have to read at the quality of their comments, their lack of ideas and opinions on the topic to realise how ignorant they are. Hopefully, they will get tired of picking on people and eventually join the morons' debate. THEY ARE THE SCUM OF LEWES !!
On 27 Mar 2011 at 9:05am broccoli wrote:
harsh! but he does have a point!
On 27 Mar 2011 at 10:23am supporter wrote:
now I know what a troll is.
On 27 Mar 2011 at 3:30pm Emerson wrote:
Yes, we love Priory School. Yet, at times, I can't help feeling frustrated, as changes and improvements in school life take ages to happen or never materialise at all!
While at Southover, I raised the issue of text books and how important they are for pupils and parents. I still have my text books from my primary and secondary school, dating back to the early 50s, which I cherish beyond belief!
And yet, here at Priory, and most schools in the UK - unlike most European countries I've been to - pupils aren't allowed to take their text-books home. I understand there is an issue of cost to the school but also, in my opinion, a lack of trust towards parents and pupils. In other words, the school thinks that if pupils were allowed to take text books home, many would be lost or get nicked! I understand these concerns. In my younger days, parents had to purchase school books.
As such, textbooks became property of the family who bought them, which encouraged pupils to take better care of them. However, this extra cost was not exactly welcome by families on a low income. Yet, it meant that parents were able to read text books with their pupils, gain a better understanding of school curriculum, learn a thing or two themselves and get to keep their books forever!
Here in the UK, textbooks are provided free by the state. As such, they are school property and very rarely parents get to see them. As a result, pupils cannot use them for reference when doing their homework; they are forced to look on the internet for info; or buy study guides from bookshops, which are often inadequate; they are forced to bring worksheets back and forward from school on which little information is provided for parents; alternatively, pupils are often forced to rely on scruffy notes from their exercise books taken during lessons, which is not always the best solution.
My point is:
Why doesn‚??t the school provide interactive PDF copies of text books on line? (A sort of expanded Moodle, but with many more features).
These electronic copies resemble e-books: they look great on line and can be flicked through and enlarged just like magazines!
By implementing this, we would:
‚?Ę Save money on buying text books and paper waste. Thousands of books get thrown away every year, either because they quickly become obsolete or because they have been vandalised by pupils
‚?Ę Allow parents to have easier access to lessons plans and make it easier for them to help their children with homework
‚?Ę Gain a better understanding of school curriculum
‚?Ę Encourage home learning, which would also be beneficial to parents with a low education.
I know that some schools in the county have adopted this approach, and California is phasing out text books for good! The only drawback to this initiative would be the fees that publishing industries would charge the schools to allow them to use their publications on line. However, if this approach becomes more widespread, the cost for schools would gradually decrease.
Alternatively, teachers could draft their own text guides, including useful extracts from their lessons plan, for the benefit of both parents and pupils! What do you think?
Broccoli, are you a student‚?¶ or a vegetable? (only kidding!) If you ARE a student, we‚??d like to hear more from you! What are your views on my online textbooks suggestion!
On 27 Mar 2011 at 3:59pm supporter wrote:
this is getting really boring now.

On 27 Mar 2011 at 4:06pm Emerson wrote:
SUPPORTER: If you've got a point of view, state it. If not.... B.... OFF!
Join the morons' debate, which is more suited to your extremely low IQ!
On 27 Mar 2011 at 4:09pm supporter wrote:
what debate? this is you giving your views and anyone that dares to disagree gets shouted at.
No debate just your rants

On 27 Mar 2011 at 4:10pm supporter wrote:
now this is a great school for educating the modern child.

On 27 Mar 2011 at 7:21pm Emerson wrote:
SUPPORTER: Why do you keep coming back? What's your view? Start a new thread for Ringmer school for tossers like you! GO AWAY!
On 27 Mar 2011 at 7:30pm supporter wrote:
ringmer school set in the sussex countryside away from all the traffic and pollution of lewes.
great locations for cross country runs and delightful clean air,I know where the best place is.
The more you shout idiot the more you will provoke reaction.
On 27 Mar 2011 at 7:36pm supporter wrote:
the only tosser here is you
On 27 Mar 2011 at 7:39pm supporter wrote:
now I understand why you are like this coming from a village of semi-illiterate farmers,
On 27 Mar 2011 at 8:00pm Anti-bully wrote:
Supporter you're just firing up Emerson! And this is a Lewes forum, a town and not a village. I know what your kind of people are like! Looking at all the new threads in Lewes and seeing if you can write bad things about the people who post stuff you don't agree on! I think most of what Emerson is writing is reasonable and I agree with Broccoli. I think you like a good argument too! But I wish people would reply with mild answers and not wind each other up. Yo wouldn't think Lewesians are like this!! Now I'm going to chill out and stop wasting my time on this forum. CHILL OUT!!!!
On 27 Mar 2011 at 8:01pm Emerson wrote:
This "debate" is drawing to an end. We managed to get rid of all the morons (but Supporter) and that, in itself, is a success. I will be starting a new thread soon. Hopefully, there will be new, intelligent and decent people of Lewes joining in to allow the local community to have a say!
SUPPORTER: My parents may have been semi-illiterate farmers but I speak five languages fluently! But you can hardly speak English! Go and get stuffed !
On 27 Mar 2011 at 8:10pm Deelite wrote:
What it must be to make no sense in five languages.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Pells Pond 96:132
Pells Pond

I was quite fond of the guy. But Boris is, of course, behind the serious over-coverage; it is a welcome distraction from travel... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams