Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Wanting to move into Lewes

On 3 Aug 2008 at 5:43pm Looking at Lewes wrote:
Hi. My family and I have been looking at moving to Lewes for a few weeks now and want to know if there is a market for a new art gallery. We currently own a gallery here in Portabello Road and want to open another one in the South. We would exhibit artwork from very high profile internationally known artists, which could bring a much needed boost to the art culture of the town. We have also noticed that the town has a fireworks party on Guy Fawkes night but would like to know if this is likely to fade out as we hear it can be a bit of a nuicance for local pets and farmers. We would appreciate any feedback.

On 3 Aug 2008 at 6:04pm SHS wrote:
Lewes certainly needs another art gallery as many people here spend their days looking for paintings to buy (Tesco's and Waitrose do not yet sell paintings). Most people are not interested in local painters but want the more expensive international works, from artists such as Brown, Smith and Jones for example.
As for the fireworks, yes, like church bells a major nuisance and likely to stop soon due to complaints (a) from motorists unable to park on the night in question and (b) from night-kite-flyers.

On 3 Aug 2008 at 6:22pm Looking at Lewes wrote:
Thankyou for your advice. David Smith and Stephan Jones are excellent artists but they mainly stick to the USA (we have invited them in the past but they both declined politely). Not heard much about Brown. Is there a Mosque in Lewes? This would be a bonus to us as we attend daily here.

On 3 Aug 2008 at 6:25pm sussex mam wrote:
i like painting i have just finished doing up my sitting room

On 3 Aug 2008 at 6:30pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Excellent post SHS, it's almost as funny as the original.

On 3 Aug 2008 at 6:46pm Lewes Laugher wrote:
Satire is always best if done subtly - well done with this.

On 3 Aug 2008 at 6:53pm Looking at Lewes wrote:
I can see that this forum is only used for comedians. I am obviously looking for advice in the wrong place.

On 3 Aug 2008 at 6:56pm Lewes Laugher wrote:
You have just encountered one of Lewes's greatest assets - its sense of humour.

On 3 Aug 2008 at 6:56pm Smiler wrote:
You might like Tunbridge Wells

On 3 Aug 2008 at 6:59pm Smiler wrote:
...or Germany

On 3 Aug 2008 at 7:11pm Looking at Lewes wrote:
In that case, I will look at The Lanes in Brighton because you lot are not sensible enough to realise a good thing when you see one.

On 3 Aug 2008 at 7:23pm CROSS wrote:
Guess WHAT just back form 6 months @ H.M.P.Lewes for TDA for those that dont know thats touching dogs arses, and after reading all of your rubbish on here, I think I'll go back inside.

On 3 Aug 2008 at 7:32pm SHS wrote:
A Good Thing is not to have anybody complaining about fireworks. Anyone serious about a new fart gallery here in Lewes should know that feedback from this type of forum is not a suitable basis for business decisions, nor any decision for that matter. But for the record, Lewes already has 2,069 art galleries (but I'm sure your research has already shown that).

On 3 Aug 2008 at 7:33pm An Economist wrote:
Hi "Looking at Lewes". Yes, please come and set up your gallery here. I'm sure it will thrive. Celebration of bonfire has been going on for a couple of centuries already, so I'm sure people will soon get fed up with it. To whet our appetites, please let us know the names of some of the "high profile internationally known artists" that you plan to exhibit. I am salivating at the prospect ...

On 3 Aug 2008 at 7:39pm Doink the clown wrote:
Boo Hoo CROSS. Good HONKING riddence.
LOOKING AT LEWES - Go and look around Lewes, and you will see that there are enough arty farty shops in this area, we need more of a variety in this one horse town. By all means bring your gallery, but make sure you move into an existing one. Your work will sell rest assured but my point is that at the moment you are not short of competion here. HONK HONK!!!!

On 3 Aug 2008 at 7:45pm An Economist wrote:
... in fact, I think I've just done a s*x wee.

On 3 Aug 2008 at 7:48pm looking at Lewes wrote:
We have several artists who exhibit from time to time in the Tata Modern. Our prize possession is a used cotton bud by Tracey Emmin which is enclosed in an air tight glass case.

On 3 Aug 2008 at 8:01pm Mr & Mrs Smith wrote:
What's that, a new posh art gallery? Well count us in. We could do with splashing some cash on some more paintings to go in out new west wing extention. Don't worry about the artist David Smith....he's our beloved son!

On 3 Aug 2008 at 11:56pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Looking at Lewes - is this a joke? Tata Modern is very funny too.
Google "Artwave" and explore the artistic abundance in this town.

On 4 Aug 2008 at 9:52am Taff wrote:
Bonfire stop!.....................NFL

On 4 Aug 2008 at 2:11pm ExiledfromLewes wrote:
'Looking at Lewes' is obviously on the wind up
'We have also noticed that the town has a fireworks party on Guy Fawkes night'
'Is there a Mosque in Lewes? This would be a bonus to us as we attend daily here.'
'Our prize posession is a used cotton bud by Tracey Emin which is enclosed in an airtight glass case.'
BTW Emin not Emmin. Anyway gave me a brief chuckle.

On 4 Aug 2008 at 3:07pm Looking at Lewes wrote:
Well all we can say is, you will be eating your words when our new gallery attracts rich and famous people from all over the world. We are already in negotiation for a buyer for the cotton bud from Ruby Wax.

On 4 Aug 2008 at 3:44pm Taff wrote:
my heart bleeds.................yawn

On 5 Aug 2008 at 10:51am Lewes Laugher wrote:
Lookig at Lewes - your real name isn't Charles Style by any chance?

On 9 Aug 2008 at 6:18pm superfly wrote:
I'm all for a new art gallery.. and a cinema, a nightclub venue and a vegetarian cafe. Why not.

12 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Queen clown 99:132
Queen clown

Of course they won't, what did they do about the protests in London a while back? Treated them with kid gloves, no kettling, no... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina