Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Wallands school

On 3 Feb 2009 at 10:12am juju wrote:
Wallands school is open today, the paths to the school from all directions are an ice rink, the paths on the school ground are just the same and so are the playgrounds. If they had intended to open today should the caretaking staff not spent monday gritting and making the area safe? For many parents the option of driving to school just was not there as many roads on Landport and Nevill are still to bad to risk it. No option but to walk your child to school if you refuse to take them in then you get an unorthorised abscence. MAny parents are complaining but i guess it will fall on deaf ears.

On 3 Feb 2009 at 10:49am Lewes Laugher wrote:
Time for a bit of common sense - the parents who decide it's not safe to take their childrne in should get together and collectively present the head teacher with the argument in juju's post.

On 3 Feb 2009 at 12:09pm A parent wrote:
The head is a D**k and you'll be better talking to the wall. Tried it this morning and he's sitting in his warm cosey office, drinking his hot drink. Sooner he's gone the better. (roll on summer when he's gone).

On 3 Feb 2009 at 1:59pm Lewes Laugher wrote:
A parent - clearly the head needs a lesson in common sense.

On 3 Feb 2009 at 2:23pm juju wrote:
Contacted county hall, first health and safety then was passed to education department, they said that the head makes all the choices about if its safe for the school to be open and there is no one in higher authority to tell him he has made a bad choice. We offered to met someone up at that school so that they could see how bad it was they refused. Told to complain to the gouverners, what good will that do? Have complained at the office and it was duely noted. I hope that no child or parent ect has been hurt due to the choices made by the headmaster today!!!

On 3 Feb 2009 at 3:59pm SHS wrote:
Glad to hear one School (a) realises the importance of education and providing a public service and (b) seems to believe that parents and children should have some common sense and ability. Why should a few inches of snow prevent children walking to school? They just have to be told 'be careful', 'walk on the soft snow not the ice', 'take small steps not strides' etc etc. We have visitors from another country at the moment and they are incredulous at the chaos and apathy this light snowfall has caused, not least the collapse of public transport and closure of schools.

On 3 Feb 2009 at 4:49pm a parent wrote:
I would love to see the poxy head go over and have a taste of his own stupidity. And as for you SHS, the paths are like a bl**dy ice rink. Is there a brain cell in your head!!!!!! NA...............................................
( are you by any chance related to the head!!!)

On 3 Feb 2009 at 4:56pm Moaner wrote:
Davies is a complete knob. When asking if the school would be open yesterday I was informed 'yes if enough staff turn up' Thanks, it's not as if I was doing anything like going to work myself! Two months ago he sent all the kids home because of a power cut even though it was back on by 8.45. Parents sit at home all day obviously.

On 3 Feb 2009 at 5:08pm Eagle Eye wrote:
I just spotted the beginnings of a post which said something like 'The head is a knob' and before I had a chance to read it,it has disappeared.

On 3 Feb 2009 at 5:31pm catherine wheel wrote:
Thank you SHS ! ! Our children are going to grow up like pathetic, cotton wool covered individuals, who will assess every move they make and will add to the compensation culture that has become the scourge of this country.When I was a kid, I cannot ever remember being off school because of snow or ice, half the fun was the skidding about in the playground and if you fell over it would hurt......and what ??

On 3 Feb 2009 at 7:22pm juju wrote:
I am not into the compensation culture either. But when there is no choice but to walk over sheet ice on steep slopes and steps with no option to step to the side and walk where the ice is less, then yes i have a problem with the idea that it is safe for my child to be in school. What happen to Mr Davies oh but we have to make a risk assesment before we allow anything eciting happen within school. Yes my child enjoyed her day at school but i am sure the heavy pregnant mums, the disabled and the grandparents ect did not have such a fun time getting their child to school. Today was not safe.

On 3 Feb 2009 at 7:27pm juju wrote:
I am not into the compensation culture either. But when there is no choice but to walk over sheet ice on steep slopes and steps with no option to step to the side and walk where the ice is less, then yes i have a problem with the idea that it is safe for my child to be in school. What happen to Mr Davies oh but we have to make a risk assesment before we allow anything eciting happen within school. Yes my child enjoyed her day at school but i am sure the heavy pregnant mums, the disabled and the grandparents ect did not have such a fun time getting their child to school. Today was not safe.

On 3 Feb 2009 at 7:47pm catherine wheel wrote:
It's a good job it doesn't snow heavily every winter isn't it ? Otherwise our children would sadly lack large chunks of education. As a parent you make the choices for you and your children, if you felt it was unsafe for your child to be walking to school then stay indoors and take the unauthorised absence ?? It's no biggy !!

On 3 Feb 2009 at 8:00pm juju wrote:
Did you walk that route to school, did you have to walk over the pavements on the school ground, are you aware of how bad it was?, if so then you have a right to critacise me if not then hold it.

On 3 Feb 2009 at 9:01pm Neviller wrote:
I heard on the news today there is a shortage of salt.Maybe that explains the ESCC complete ineptitude at gritting Lewes this snowfall. I feel sure that more roads,twittens etc should have been gritted.

On 3 Feb 2009 at 10:01pm kitty cat wrote:
I agree with catherine wheel. Its a bit of snow for goodness sake. Did any child at Wallands today actually have a serious accident. Not that I saw. They had a great day building snowballs-which I have to say are HUGE. It seems such a shame that they have to be told not to have fun. The paths were gritted and cleared and made safe.

On 4 Feb 2009 at 12:29am Earl of Lewes wrote:
For God's sake, get some perspective. It's just a bit of snow. If you live near the school and the pavement isn't too treacherous, take your kids to school. If you can't do that, keep them at home. It's that simple.

Also, instead of moaning, how about showing some appreciation of the staff who've struggled in to keep the school open.

I've noticed that the biggest moaners on this thread have the poorest spelling and grammar. What does that tell us?

On 4 Feb 2009 at 7:21am juju wrote:
Earl of Lewes i wondered how long it would take for this to fall to a personal level. Neviller which paths where gritted, and why did members of staff keep their children off while going into work at wallands themselves? Answer because it was unsafe! If you notice from an earlier post that my child had a great time at school.... but did the parents i over heard in the playgroung that had fallen getting their child there.

On 4 Feb 2009 at 7:56pm kitty cat wrote:
Who said that members of staff with children went to school and let their children at home ? The School was shut for one day only. The staff made the effort to get there on Tuesday.

On 5 Feb 2009 at 7:15am JUJU wrote:
A member of staff!

On 5 Feb 2009 at 8:06pm Teacher(not in Lewes) wrote:
The problem is you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. You close and the parents complain, they have to take time off work, their kids aren't getting an education. You open and it's how could they put our kids at risk. (I happen to think kids should have been at home making snowmen if you ask me, it's the most fresh air most of them have had in a long while)
So many of our staff rang in saying they couldn't get in to work that the school was closed and parents went beserk saying that teachers were lazy and they would come and pick us up in their truck! We actually got a telling off in staff briefing for not making the effort!! Parents complained about having to take a day off to take care of their (own)kids. Our safety wasn't of any concern whatsoever. Incidently most staff do not live in the same area as their school for obvious reasons. Where I live there was 4 or 5 inches of compacted snow and ice, despite the fact it was clear at school.
It seems if some people are not moaning they don't have a reason to breathe.

On 6 Feb 2009 at 7:44am juju wrote:
I agreen with you Teacher, my problem with the Wallands head is that having battled our way to get our child to school the grounds of the school had been completely negleted from the saftey side of things.Health and safety rests firmly with the head and there is nothing to be done to change that.
I run my own business and our takings for the week are down, this could not be helped due to health and saftey of ourselves, our clients and there dogs.

On 6 Feb 2009 at 7:34pm Teacher(Not in Lewes) wrote:
A day or two off school really isn't going to affect a child's learning. Especially when they take them out of lessons for all kinds of silly reasons these days. I do agree health and safety comes first.

On 12 Feb 2009 at 8:05pm gert wrote:
yes the head is a d**k, i agree with A Parent, i recall the way his head tilts backwards and lip curls in a smirk/sneer when you talk to him. he looked like a cushtie to me.

13 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes to Uckfield Line 87:132
Lewes to Uckfield Line

Hello. I was also recently looking for the perfect place for a photo shoot. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell