Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Waitrose

On 31 Jul 2017 at 1:18pm John Argyle wrote:
I am very disappointed with the selection of cheeses in Waitrose, Lewes.
To all my cheesy friends in the area, can someone recommend anywhere to purchase the finest Stilton?
Thanks in advance.
On 31 Jul 2017 at 2:08pm Billy wrote:
The cheese shop in Ashbourne. Or maybe you should try Shropshire Blue from one of the delis in Ludlow.
On 31 Jul 2017 at 2:50pm MG wrote:
Stilton can be good this time of year, but is at its best end of the year, hence its association with Yuletide, because of the grass the cattle feed on. , It hardly matters where you buy, the very finest Stilton is not around in the middle of summer.
On 31 Jul 2017 at 3:30pm Forgotten my password wrote:
Beckworths and Cheese Please both do lovely cheeses. Brighton Sausage co is also good but, obviously, not Lewes based.
I was pleasantly surprised with some cheese from Waitrose (they do Godminster which is my favourite cheddar and had a nice creamy cheese like Vignot) but the local cheese shops are head and shoulders above.
On 31 Jul 2017 at 4:00pm Siggy wrote:
Tesco has an ok selection.
On 31 Jul 2017 at 4:09pm Cheese Snob wrote:
Next time you're up in town, I'd be tempted to search for some Stichelson. It's far superior to Stilton and can be bought at the deli in Neal's Yard, Covent Garden for rather a lot of money. You could also try asking at the Cheese shop to see if they stock it (after all, they really are rather good at that sort of thing ). A quick google should be able to find it locally.
On 31 Jul 2017 at 4:14pm Cheese Knob wrote:
Hot weather, lack of air circulation.....yuck
On 31 Jul 2017 at 4:37pm Smegma, to post above wrote:
and betty swollocks below. And it's Stichelton cheese.
On 31 Jul 2017 at 4:43pm Cheese Knob wrote:
Smegma...just the word makes me want to heave......blugh...
On 31 Jul 2017 at 7:50pm Horseman7 wrote:
Plumpton College make some jolly good cheese.
On 31 Jul 2017 at 11:09pm Belladonna wrote:
You could try middle farm

On 31 Jul 2017 at 11:46pm Mario wrote:
You could try making your own. Plenty of tutorials on YouTube. Do a search for Gavin Webber.
On 1 Aug 2017 at 8:52am Cleese wrote:
Do you mind how runny it is?
On 1 Aug 2017 at 9:15am Farmers Market wrote:
This Saturday in the precinct. At least 3 local producers with a vast array wonderful cheeses. Also Maxine in May Farm Cart in the Riverside has a small selection of local cheese alongside locally raised meat in her butchers and now a small veg shop.

On 1 Aug 2017 at 1:39pm MG wrote:
Stichelton is what Colston Bassett Stilton used to be before the legal restriction on what you can call stilton be was imposed: unpasteurised.
It's great if you can find it.

On 29 May 2018 at 4:26pm Purple smartie wrote:
I have a very soft cheese fermenting and if Waitrose want to purchase a good full then I can oblige.

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Castle from below 61:132
Lewes Castle from below

As expected the chartist only turns up to put down. Just like the ferret. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell