Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Views on Premier Inn

On 6 Aug 2015 at 1:16pm Timothy wrote:
I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the new proposed build?
I'm not really sure what I think about it, so I'm not here to have some argy-bargy. I would just like to know what other people thought, and the reasons behind.

On 6 Aug 2015 at 1:29pm JMMM3 wrote:
Lewes desperately needs some reasonable priced accommodation. That's a fact. What you get along with the Premier Inn is debatable. People will get used to the new building once it's there. The space left by the old Magistrate's court is every welcome and a breath of fresh air (minus the inevitable dust) but despite all the moans we will get used to the new building and Lewes will be able to welcome more visitors to the town bringing vital money to the economy.
On 6 Aug 2015 at 1:36pm Old Bloke wrote:
Thank goodness there'll be a decent hotel in the town at long last. Not 5 star but good enough
The others are very poor
Here's hoping some nice shops and even a decent restaurant come with it
Almost anything would be better than the ugly building demolished to make way for it
Lots more of that part of town that should be knocked down to be replaced with something useful and visually appealing
On 6 Aug 2015 at 1:41pm Trooper wrote:
@ JMMM3. Good post, with you all the way, however wait for the avalanche of NO NO NO.
On 6 Aug 2015 at 2:03pm tobnac wrote:
No objection to Premier Inn from me, for the reasons stated above. Lewes needs visitors, and would attract more if there were a wider variety of hotel rooms available at a variety of rates. Providing it doesn't look horrible, of course.
On 6 Aug 2015 at 2:41pm Dixie Normus wrote:
Doesn't bother me having Premier Inn. However, I much preferred the rumours of a Wetherspoons. There is one in Crowborough which offers great value food, reasonable costing drinks and a nice atmosphere with a mix of ages. Exactly what I feel the town requires as the same old expensive places continue to be boring.
On 6 Aug 2015 at 2:43pm Humbert wrote:
I don't think Premier Inn is particularly cheap is it? I don't really have a problem with it though as a hotel depending on the signage.
On 6 Aug 2015 at 2:53pm stevet wrote:
Agree with the majority of the above posts. Desperately needed modern accommodation will bring more visitors into the town, with knock on benefits to shops, pubs and restaurants. A few jobs created too. All for more beneficial to the town than a magistrates court, especially a vacant one. I even like the design.
On 6 Aug 2015 at 2:59pm B&B Landlady wrote:
Perhaps surprisingly I welcome the Premier Inn. Their main business is always going to be business people staying for a night or two who are not the mainstay of local B&Bs. I'm really looking forward to them sorting out the absolutely appalling scandal that is the Crown Inn, with the White Hart following them a close second. So I offer another vote in their favour - and yes, good riddance to the Magistrates Court, which was an eyesore.
On 6 Aug 2015 at 4:02pm Trooper wrote:
@B&B Landlady, Like you I long to see the CROWN sorted I fear however it is a lost cause for many reasons, as for the WHITE HART the 2.5 million is an asking price too far considering the amount of money that will have to be spent in order to improve it. However, like many of us hope springs eternal,I think.
On 6 Aug 2015 at 4:39pm fed wrote:
its will be good for the town.But its the parking meters which is killing this town slowly
On 6 Aug 2015 at 4:45pm Jeff wrote:
I wish they would leave it as it is now, plant a few trees and grass, Cliffe could do with some green space in contrast to more and more buildings being packed into the gaps
On 6 Aug 2015 at 5:14pm Newell Fisher wrote:
I'm all for it. It will force all the sub-standard cheap accommodation to shape up or ship out.
Naming no names. It's not like I need to
On 6 Aug 2015 at 5:28pm Trooper wrote:
@ Jeff Good thought, it would be nice.
@ NF. Sub Standard yes CHEAP in Lewes !!!
On 6 Aug 2015 at 5:59pm bastian wrote:
I wish they had spent a little more time looking at Fitzroy house before their final plans were agreed. The old magistrates court was in keeping, with echos of the architecture of fitzroy, circular windows, brick arches etc as were many 1980s buildings in Lewes, especially in that area, but this new build has fallen into lazy architecure, modernist plain and well, dull but functional, a bit like a premier Inn. I just don't understand why they didn't keep the old building as a police station, it had LAW stamped all over it-or were the police going for touchy feely modern-not that they're ever open.
On 6 Aug 2015 at 6:38pm Concerned for Lewes wrote:
Yes the town needs more accommodation, but I do not agree in letting more national brands into the town, rather encouraging local business people to provide what is needed. Other towns do this successfully so why not Lewes? If The Crown and White Hart were invested in they could be made into a much more attractive proposition for visitors. Places like Premier Inn have no place in a historic county town and should be placed outside the centre, they would still provide cheaper accommodation for those that want it and there is plenty of space for them.
On 6 Aug 2015 at 7:15pm B&B Landlady wrote:
The Crown and the White Hart have had the chance and haven't invested. In fact, it's the advent of the Premier Inn which has forced them to accept that they need to buck up. The reason they've not done so until now is because there are not enough guest beds in Lewes, particularly hotel beds so they haven't needed to. Premier Inn saw an opportunity and they took it, and they'll provide 60 bed spaces at affordable prices. I can't see that the fact they're part of a chain (and therefore benefit from scale) is really going to spoil Lewes: in fact, having somewhere to stay at a reasonable price which isn't "the worst place the hotel inspector has ever stayed" prompts a sigh of relief from me, at any rate. It's an absolute disgrace and really reflects poorly on our town.
On 6 Aug 2015 at 7:37pm Old Bloke wrote:
@B & B Landlady
What a refreshing post and very true
Well said
Daresay some on here will soon be telling us how wonderful a building the bus station is and what a great place to eat is that pizza place
On 6 Aug 2015 at 8:13pm Newell Fisher wrote:
The Crown IS part of a chain called Enterprise, as was the White Hart part of another one I believe (Best Western?). According to the landlady they failed to invest. So to the best chain go the spoils.
Just because something doesn't look corporate, doesn't mean it isn't.
On 6 Aug 2015 at 8:28pm Concerned for Lewes wrote:
I did not say I liked the Crown nor the White Hart as they are now but, I would rather see them invested in, and kept as independently owned accommodation, rather than redeveloped in some way which is the likely end game for both. The idea of bringing corporate hotel chains (Best Western is not) is not in keeping with an independent town. Additional rooms are needed but put them outside of the town centre and allow local businesses to provide better class accommodation in the centre
On 6 Aug 2015 at 11:26pm Newell Fisher wrote:
Outside the town centre effectively means, in a town of this size, a roundabout development. No thank you!
On 7 Aug 2015 at 6:18am Inspector Clouseau wrote:
B&B Landlady should get her facts right, there are 59 double bedrooms which equals about 120+bed spaces as some will be family rooms. Not 60 as she says.
On 7 Aug 2015 at 6:25am Inspector Clouseau wrote:
Roundabout development?? No it means out of the town centre.
On 7 Aug 2015 at 6:42am Newell Fisher wrote:
Such as where? Suggest a suitable location.
On 7 Aug 2015 at 7:43am Sussex Jim wrote:
You can't beat a bit of healthy competition to reduce prices and improve services for the consumer.
On 7 Aug 2015 at 8:29am Egon wrote:
I always thought a good place for a budget hotel would have been the old council building, built in the mid nineties by Tesco, as part of the deal for them to get their planning permission. It's got good transport links off the Tesco roundabout, past the sorting office and off the next roundabout at Mayhew Way. There's plenty of car parking spaces, Malling rec' opposite for green space, the skate park for kids and it's only a 5 minute to the town. As far as I can remember, once the council had finished with it and moved out during the early noughties it laid empty for years. Also there's the scrap of land opposite, that would have been another good place. Both sites still within Lewes but not in the congested centre.
On 7 Aug 2015 at 8:42am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I don't think Sackville House, as that building is called, was completely empty for years. It was first occupied by a company called Owen Williams, which was the contractor that took over most of the county council's highways management role, then there was a Japanese company in there (Fujitsu?) and social services have been in there for several years now.
The solicitors that used to be near the bottom of School Hill moved into the top floor many years ago.
There's still the empty plot on the opposite corner, that would be a good place for a budget hotel.
On 7 Aug 2015 at 9:15am Merlin Milner wrote:
If timing / planning / ownership had been different, the Depot could have been a hotel and the magistrates court a cinema. The 3 courts easily becoming 3 screens; the cells recording / rehearsal studios and a rooftop café. Oh well, hindsight is great thing.
On 7 Aug 2015 at 9:48am Clifford wrote:
Fasciating this forum - ACT writes a completely factual comment, nothing controversial, and gets a thumbs down.
On 7 Aug 2015 at 1:47pm Angela Fisher. wrote:
I suspect the thumbs down were for suggesting that the plot opposite Sackville House would be a good site. For various reasons, this would not be.
On 7 Aug 2015 at 7:50pm Horseman7 wrote:
B&B Landlady has got her facts right. One of the joys of a Premier Inn is that you pay for the room, whether as a sole occupant or with company. On the assumption that during the week a high percentage of the users will be business people, then they will be single guests (unless.....) I've used Premier Inns on my own a number of times. And once I shared exactly the same room with my daughter and her 3 adult bridesmaids. That was character building - but the hot water supply held up valiantly.
On 7 Aug 2015 at 10:52pm Inspector Clouseau wrote:
B&B landlady should know that a double bed equates to 2 bed spaces, so it is 118 bed space hotel. Unless all rooms are like yours where 5 people sleep in one room!!
On 8 Aug 2015 at 7:32am Young tom wrote:
It'll make my job a lot easier wot with the winter coming. Hello boys.
On 8 Aug 2015 at 7:18pm Visitor wrote:
What attracts visitors to a town like Lewes is the presence of chain hotels like Travelodge or Premier Inn. These places are known for the value they offer and the reliable standard of service that is available. And their websites are easily found. None of the uncertainties that are associated with "independent" establishments. A Premier Inn will bring in many more visitors than existing establishments can reach.
On 9 Aug 2015 at 6:19pm Bongo wrote:
I think, since Saxonbury is due to be closed down, Premier Inn will be a useful place for the local authority to offload the homeless until a suitable house/flat becomes available.
On 9 Aug 2015 at 9:46pm Tax inspector wrote:
Post deleated from this thread ?
On 9 Aug 2015 at 10:49pm Newell Fisher wrote:
Yes, more than one was. Another from "Jane" and my response.
On 9 Aug 2015 at 11:58pm Cynic wrote:
Remind me what value tourists are to the town? They spend money in chain restaurants and now chain hotels. Great , I'm feeling wealthier already .

On 16 Aug 2015 at 5:20pm kassie wrote:
Landlady I hope the premier in takes all your bookings. Has anybody thought about the desiccation that has happened in this town over the last 50 years. What about the poor people that live next door to the premier inn. They rescued that building. Built it up again. Now its up for sale. Will any one want to buy it. I doubt it.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Lewes Twitten 89:132
Lewes Twitten

Ian Duncan Moron more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare