Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Vegetable Endorsement

On 3 Sep 2010 at 12:27pm Cactus wrote:
This week, Bills had a table on the pavement with some corn on the cob. Not unusual!! What was a little odd was the sign naming the Farmer who had grown the vegetables. Now, i'm used to the Farm or Area of Origin being mentioned, but not the individual.....a sort of vegetable endorsement! What made me LOL was that this particular farmer is more renoun locally for behaviour which has nothing to do with farming. So next week, i'm looking forward to seeing Bill Clinton's Sweet Potatoes and Silvio Berlusconi's Artichokes on display!!

On 3 Sep 2010 at 1:54pm stan wrote:
what with this post and the yoga thread I will have to have a cold shower soon!

On 3 Sep 2010 at 1:56pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Dolly Parton's prize melons mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

On 3 Sep 2010 at 1:57pm QOTSA wrote:
Have you seen my plums!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 3 Sep 2010 at 2:56pm Cactus wrote:
Aren't Dolly's melons technically a GM crop?!

On 3 Sep 2010 at 8:27pm Bongo wrote:
I've decided to eat only foods which have a nutritional value. Sweetcorn has none. Tasty, but useless. Good for fattening up cattle, though!

On 4 Sep 2010 at 9:33am cactus wrote:
Sounds like a good plan Bongo. I will appeal to Bills to remove the shallow sweetcorn and to concentrate on tasty and useful veg instead!!

On 4 Sep 2010 at 10:41am Clifford wrote:
As I'm a bit of a nerd I had to google to see if sweetcorn really doesn't have any nutritional value. This is what I found:
Corn is relatively high in protein, with a 1-cup serving yielding 5 grams of protein---10% of the recommended daily allowance.
High in carbs, a 1-cup serving of sweet corn provides 10% of the recommended allowance, including about 4 grams of fibre and 5 grams of sugar.
Plain sweet corn is low in sodium, containing about 23 mg per 1-cup serving, which is 1% of the recommended daily allowance of sodium.
Fresh sweet corn is high in vitamin C, delivering 17% of the daily recommended allowance of this vitamin, as well as iron, magnesium, niacin and thiamine. Yellow sweet corn also provides beta carote

On 4 Sep 2010 at 4:48pm Bongo wrote:
Clifford, unless you puree sweetcorn before you eat it, I would say say that it's virtually 100% fibre ;-)

On 4 Sep 2010 at 4:56pm Clifford wrote:
Bongo - I was just quoting what I found. I always think it's a bit too much trouble to eat.

On 5 Sep 2010 at 11:36am Chunky wrote:
Bongo your an idiot! You contradict yourself in the same post. If it's of no nutritional value how do cows get fat on it?!

On 6 Sep 2010 at 8:42pm Bongo wrote:
Because it's high in carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are turned into sugar extremely quickly by the body. If you don't burn off the sugar, your body turns it into fat. That's why the population is getting fatter - we are overdosing on carbohydrates.
Where is the contradiction in my first post, Chunky? Sugar has no nutritional value whatsoever, yet everyone will agree that eating it in excess will make you fat. Did you do biology at school?

On 6 Sep 2010 at 10:16pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Lamb is my favourite. Roasted with garlic and roast yam. Yum Yum

On 7 Sep 2010 at 11:28pm Chunky wrote:
Bongo. Yes, I did Biology did you? Did you learn nutrition from Gillain McKeith?
Saying carbs have no nutritional value is absurd. By your reckoning wheat, rye, barley, CORN, rice, oats etc.. all breads, pasta, potatoes and other starchy foods are of "no nutritional value".
Carbs are an essential part of the diet, they give you energy! Too much of anything is bad for you. Its healthy to have a balance of food groups. Singling out carbs and saying it has no nutirional value is misleading at best and dangerous misinformation at worst.

On 8 Sep 2010 at 11:29am Penguin wrote:
If you are talking about white sugar like you put in your coffee, then this is a chemical derived from refining the juice of cane or beet and does not occur in this form anywhere in nature. It is true that this type of sugar has no nutritional value as all vitamins, minerals, protein, fibre are lost in the refining process. Essentially refined sugar is a poison and can cause numerous ill effects on the body, including being converted into triglycerides which our bodies store as fat.
Other un-refined sugars such as fructose, lactose and maltose which are found in fruit and veg (eg sweetcorn), milk and grains all occur naturally and do have a nutritional value.

On 8 Sep 2010 at 1:38pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
A blue cheese, garlic, piggy smelly Ellie burger does the trick. Everything you want in that. They even give you some of that green stuff to go with it.

On 8 Sep 2010 at 1:47pm Chuny wrote:
Penguin, wot rot. Another one from the Gillian McKeith school of nutrition it seems.

Sucrose is C12~H22~O11
Fructose is C6~H12~O6
Lactose is C12~H22~O11
Glucose is C6~H12~O6 (same formula as fructose but a molecular mirror image)
They are all naturally occurring sugars (and there are others). Lactose is found in milk, fructose is found in fruit and sucrose is found in beet and sugar cane. Glucose is synthesised by plants and in the bodies of animals.
Refined sugar (Silver Spoon; Tate & Lyle) is simply sucrose. It's not as you claim "a poison".
If you're worried about sugars its not sucrose you should be worried about but high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). In the United States farmers are subsidised to grow corn, this means there is often a glut of corn produced, and alternative uses are found for it including making biofuel and making polylactic acid (PLA) which is used as a plastic substitute. One of the other products is HFCS which is very commonly used as a cheaper alternative to sucrose in the US. If you get a can of regular coca-cola in the US it contains HFCS but in the UK it contains sucrose. High fructose corn syrup is banned in Europe. The jury's out of this but there's evidence that HFCS more easily leads to obesity.

On 8 Sep 2010 at 2:20pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Saying carbs have no nutritional value is nonsence. If you completely cut out carbs, fat and sugar from your diet the only way you'd get energy would be from breaking down proteins, something the human body is not designed to do very well which as a result does damage to your kidneys as they try to filter out the by-products. It's trying to get energy from protein that poisons diabetics and puts them in comas when they get no insulin to break down carbs.

It's worrying how ill informed some people are these days. If you want to avoid putting on weight, you need to use the same amount or fewer calories than you take in from food, it's as simple as that. Eating carbs doesn't make you fat, even eating fat doesn't make you fat, it's eating too much of either and leading a sedentary lifestyle that does it.

19 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Mercury and Magnesium 91:132
Mercury and Magnesium

To be fair, I think Dominic Cummings staying put is actually doing the Labour party a favour. He's manipulated people to become... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine