Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Unelected prime minister

On 30 Jun 2016 at 6:15pm Clifford wrote:
I remember when Brown took over from Blair many Tories demanding a general election, complaining that Brown was an 'unelected prime minister'. I agreed. I assume they'll be making a similar demand when the new Tory leader finally arrives.
On 30 Jun 2016 at 6:29pm Stewpot wrote:
You are right Clifford, and I think that there will be a snap election and I think that this is the reason Boris isn't standing.
How about this for a theory, if there is a snap election article 50 won't be activated before it, therefore both Lib and Lab could campaign on not activating it at all and we'd end up remaining. With the state of both the Lib and Lab parties at the moment I also wouldn't rule out a coalition between
the 2 parties in effect making the election almost a second referendum.
On 30 Jun 2016 at 7:45pm Pisspot wrote:
Dream on Lewes, Brighton and London . Home of the remainers.
On 30 Jun 2016 at 7:54pm Bert wrote:
Greens have called for a coalition of Remain parties. If it happens they'll storm an election. Plaid Cymru, Labour, Lib Dem, SNP and Green. Reclaiming the Left and winning our country back. Labour won't do it though.
On 30 Jun 2016 at 9:59pm Zebedee wrote:
Why would you think Corbyn wouldn't do it?

On 1 Jul 2016 at 9:32am Slarty wrote:
The Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 sets the interval between general elections at five years. At the end of this time a new House of Commons must be elected. The date of the last general election was 7 May 2015, so the next planned one is the first Thursday in May 2020.
However, there are two provisions that trigger an election other than at five year intervals:
A motion of no confidence is passed in Her Majesty's Government by a simple majority and 14 days elapses without the House passing a confidence motion in any new Government formed.
A motion for a general election is agreed by two thirds of the total number of seats in the Commons including vacant seats.
With Labour and Tories in turmoil, who would call a vote of no confidence at the moment? I can't see two thirds backing a motion either. It appears to me that SNP are the only party who would happily back a call for a new general election at the moment.
On 1 Jul 2016 at 10:27am bastian wrote:
let's face it, everything is a fait de complete these days, you don't really have any power, or democracy, it's all wrapped up for you with a box to tick whether you like it or not-soon it will just be a thumbs up or down (very Romano).
On 1 Jul 2016 at 10:50am Snap election wrote:
A snap election is about the worst idea ever, we need consistency now.
May will win leadership, there will be no election, negotiations will start very quickly (quite rightly so).
We'll end up with a worse deal than we have now (more of the same but no rebates) but will be in control of our laws (most likely not immigration as a whole).
This will make May happy as it's always pissed her off she couldn't kick radicals out.
Status quo will largely remain in tact, EU will be happy, most of UK will be happy, Scotland will be happy, far right will be unhappy.
Win, win in my book.

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Skate Park 104:132
Skate Park

Tom. You clearly think the answer to the question of who pays the interest to the IMF and what else it provides is interesting.... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like BONFIRE NIGHT, and of course all the out-meetings which go on around this time - and the loud bang at the crack of dawn!
Jojo