Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

UK gets a kick

On 28 Feb 2018 at 9:37pm Blatant Liar wrote:
I see the EU has given up waiting for the UK government to finally come up with any form of plan for Brexit and has published its own bill (filling in the gaps).
This should be fun, I always enjoy watching politicians under pressure. Shame it breaches the good Friday agreement, looks like May will be earning her money in the next few weeks. I wonder when the next election will be, will it be announced in 13 months or sooner?
On 28 Feb 2018 at 10:03pm Wow wrote:
13 months you say? Gripping story! Wake me up next week.
On 28 Feb 2018 at 11:05pm Majorette wrote:
Never voted for Mr Major but he has today put forward a perfectly succinct and articulate case for Mrs May to stop and listen to whatís best for the country at this precarious stage in a process that could be hugely damaging for generations to come.
On 1 Mar 2018 at 9:33am not a kick wrote:
How did the uk get a kick? The EU has not altered its position . One of the major points of the referendum was taking back control of borders....... but it seems the people in power have no idea how to do that with respect to a significant land border

On 1 Mar 2018 at 10:07am Blatant Liar wrote:
It's a kick because it now also sets the default position for talks and I assume it's what the EU will implement if no other agreement is reached (with May in charge there won't be).
Let's see what they do about a hard border between NI and the mainland.

On 1 Mar 2018 at 10:35am not a kick wrote:
This will upset Arlene . And given her band of bigots prop up the tory government its hard to know how it gonna go. They need to find a solution . Thats why they make the big bucks
On 1 Mar 2018 at 2:03pm Boris wrote:
If John Major had given the country a referendum on Maastricht we wouldn't be in the state we are now. The country would have rejected it big time and we wouldn't have gone in so deeply.
Remember it's the EU who won't budge in negotiation and presumably want a hard boarder in NI. There will not be a hard boarder on the British side.
In the words of Michael Caine
" I would rather be a poor master than a rich servant "
We are trying to negotiate a trade deal, they are trying to negotiate politics.
All the time it's like that NO progress will be made, we should leave negotiations and prepare to leave this time next year.
Watch what happens in Italy this weekend , it could very well be a game changer.

On 1 Mar 2018 at 2:30pm @Boris wrote:
The hard border will be on the British side, in the EU proposal there is no border in Ireland (only between NI and the mainland).
On 1 Mar 2018 at 3:06pm Blatant Liar wrote:
Boris, "We are trying to negotiate a trade deal, they are trying to negotiate politics."
We're not trying to negotiate a trade deal though are we, we're months off that, at the moment we haven't even said what trade deal we want, other than to say "we are going to negotiate a free-trade agreement with the EU.".
Hence the need for a "transition period".

28 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Barbican Lewes 7:132
Barbican Lewes

I always thought it was a brilliant little magazine, Iíll miss their great front covers coming through the door more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington