Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Twitter

On 10 May 2011 at 3:36pm Matt wrote:
Hello all

MC wrote an excellent post on the ‚??Making Friends‚?? thread about Twitter and its uses and limitations. I‚??d just like to add something‚?¶

MC advised searching for the #Lewes tag, or to follow @LewesRT to find out what people are saying about Lewes. This is true, as it means that you‚??ll see all the recent posts that mention the word ‚??Lewes‚??.

If you want to find out what people in Lewes (the ‚??Lewes twitter community‚??) are saying to each other and to the world in general it might be best to follow a ‚??List‚?? ‚?? click on any of the below links to see what I mean:

yyy.twitter.com/#!/mrmzholland/lewesians-7

yyy.twitter.com/#!/IanEiloart/lewesians

yyy.twitter.com/#!/RobKRead/lewes

‚?¶doing this means that you‚??re seeing what people in Lewes are saying rather than what people are saying about Lewes, if you see what I mean.
Of course, a lot of what people are saying is nonsense or boring (especially if you look at what I write) but in amongst that there's a lot that is interesting and worthwhile. I understand how people can discount Twitter as just being a lot of chat but if you dig a bit deeper there's a lot more to it that that. I suppose it's a bit like standing by the bar in a pub: you'll hear a lot of rubbish, but now and again there will be a conversation you'll want to listen to or join in with, and you'll probably meet a few people who you can share a joke or a good argument with, who might become firm friends over time. I know I have.

Hope this helps, and that it makes sense.

Matt

ps Unfortunately, MC, this method still won‚??t cut out all the talk about the Rooks! (although it should mean you don‚??t see all the constant mentions of Lewes in Delaware). If you want to do that, maybe think about setting up your own, Rook-free list of non-football-loving Lewesians

On 10 May 2011 at 3:39pm Matt wrote:
By the way, I've just found out you need to have signed up to twitter to look at lists (at least that's my understanding).
It's quite easy to do though, and you don't have to use your real name if you don't feel comfortable doing so.
Here's a link to a helpful introduction to Twitter:
alex4d.wordpress.com/2009/01/06/check-twitter-out-without-signing-up/

On 10 May 2011 at 8:15pm MC wrote:
I find the Twitter post limitation of 140 characters constricting. Although I've used it since it was first developed I find now I only use it for headlines, with links to useful articles (always a lot longer than 140 characters).
I tried following others Lewes lists but the communication seemed trite... and full of football!

On 10 May 2011 at 8:20pm Matt wrote:
MC: Thanks for the response. I quite understand your point, horses for courses I suppose ...and yes, there has been a lot of football recently - should die down a bit over the summer!

On 10 May 2011 at 8:49pm MC wrote:
Hopefully Lewes doesn't have a cricket team owned by Viva Lewes with imminent share offer.
:-)

On 10 May 2011 at 8:54pm Matt wrote:
I fear Twitter would explode

On 10 May 2011 at 10:05pm MC wrote:
On thing I find a touch annoying on Twitter is the self-promotion. Even your friends appear to try to sell you things.

30 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

heading for extinction 43:132
heading for extinction

Just noticed. TP started "Quote of the Moment", although it's hard to understand what it's for. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa