Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Ttip meeting

On 31 May 2015 at 11:42am Nevillmān wrote:
I would really like to find out more about ttip but the leaflet on tonights meeting at the all saints really seems to be making a huge assumption assumption about ttip and I doubt i will learn much about it. A major argument in its favour seems to me to be that removal if of trade barriers has made us wealthier. WTO talks have stalled as the developing world no longer wants to be exploited to the same extent so ttip is an attempt to have further trade barrier removal in the developed world. This must include the trade in services as well as goods. This requires harmonising standards so there is a level playing field and a UK firm has as much chance bidding for a contract in France as a French firm. The issue of which parts of the UK economy should be publicly or privately run is different surely. If it is to be privately run and sadly the opinion of the electorate was that the government have been empowered to sell it off we should not be so parochial. Free trade is just that.
On 31 May 2015 at 11:48am Earl of Lewes wrote:
For thick people like me, could you be more concise and also explain what Ttip is? I find it hard to read long, dense paragraphs.
On 31 May 2015 at 11:49am Earl of Lewes wrote:
Sorry, I didn't see the What is TTIP thread further down.
On 1 Jun 2015 at 9:44am Mark wrote:
Ttip is modelled on NAFTA (North American Free Trade Area). NAFTA was planned behind closed doors and sold to Canadians as being a recipe for prosperity. The prosperity was negligible but shortly after ratification the people of Quebec attempted to ban fracking. They were informed by a US energy firm that they would be sued if they "impeded trade" by banning fracking. This is the sort of position we would find ourselves in if Ttip passes.

On 1 Jun 2015 at 4:38pm Critical reader wrote:
It might be helpful to contextualise the whole "What is TTIP" question by pointing out that those who are vehemently opposed to it include a large number of NGOs across Europe, led by household names like Oxfam. Those who are in favour (and lobbying furiously for it) include a large number of multinationals based in large variety of tax havens and international law firms, who probably stand to benefit the most. There will be virtually zero gain for small businesses and we'll all pay a large price as our ability to legislate and govern ourselves is eroded. It poses a much larger threat to our national sovereignty than anything the EU has ever come up with.

On 1 Jun 2015 at 5:53pm Mark wrote:
Which might explain the secrecy. David Cameron announced in Washington last year that he wanted to put "rocket boosters under TTIP". He completely ignores the subject in this country. Total radio silence all through the election.

31 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

extinction rebellion lewes 36:132
extinction rebellion lewes

'The sooner politics gets out of the way of medicine the better for all concerned.'

Health is a political issue. Thaty's why... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare