Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Traveling To France

On 1 Apr 2014 at 10:14am TDA wrote:
Newhaven or Dover? We're driving to central France in the summer, any advice on which port to use?

On 1 Apr 2014 at 10:49am A.T wrote:
Newhaven is much more convenient and although it is a 4 hour crossing, it shortens your driving time. Newhaven ferry is more expensive though.

On 1 Apr 2014 at 11:04am Francofile wrote:
Bon Voyage !

On 1 Apr 2014 at 1:22pm Rods Tiger wrote:
Got to admit I always use the tunnel now, gets you across quickly and efficiently. Can feel a bit silly though if Dieppe is closer than Calais to where you're going.

On 1 Apr 2014 at 4:13pm my towm wrote:
I like traveling Newhaven because 0nly 15min from home . but only 1 cross at day 10am or 11 am at night 12 hours later . have a good hoilday

On 1 Apr 2014 at 5:13pm Tipex wrote:
I've done the calculation many a time and always conclude that you can drive in France faster than the ferry can cross from Newhaven. Therefore overall times are pretty similar but consider that the ferries from Newhaven are pretty tired and a bit depressing. So, I go via Dover every time. Bon voyage.

On 1 Apr 2014 at 7:29pm Nevillman wrote:
The tunnel is particularly good value if you have Tesco vouchers. I sometimes go out that way and back to Newhaven

On 1 Apr 2014 at 10:08pm Toenail wrote:
I've travelled down to Central France for the last 10 years and always use the Newhaven crossing.I catch the late ferry (get a cabin if reasonable priced) otherwise head straight to the quiet room for a nap(ear plugs and eye mask a must). Wake up, quick coffee and as the roads are dead apart from the occasional truck you can fly. Every year they have built new roads and it takes less time. Saying that Rouen during the day can be very slow, using my early start I can be in Central France in about 5hrs, the only slowish bit is around Chartres.

On 1 Apr 2014 at 11:43pm TDA wrote:
Excellent advice. Think we'll go via Newhaven, it's less driving time after all.

On 13 Apr 2014 at 3:56pm mickyboy wrote:
dont forget to carry hi viz tabards in the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a french approved breathaliser, as well as warning triangle etc, sat navs for use in france must not show speed cameras etc use newhaven, and route nationals, if you get the chance stop off at chartres well worth a couple of hours stopover. bon voyage

27 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Swans in the pool 85:132
Lewes Swans in the pool

Sweet Fanny Adams, Nev, what's it got to do with you? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone