Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Tradesmen for Leave - Really?

On 21 Jun 2016 at 5:23pm Turkeys vote for Xmas wrote:
What I can't quite fathom (and I may be wrong on this so please excuse the generality) is why builders, plumbers, electricians and other tradesmen reliant on home owners feeling that they have cash to spare because of buoyant house prices want to embrace the uncertainty of leave. House prices have already started stalling and this will only worsen (not for first-time buyers obviously) when central London prime implodes as the foreign buyers join the exodus of inward investment. Is it to try and get rid of the East European competition, which will take years even in their wildest dreams, by which time a good many will be sunk?
On 21 Jun 2016 at 6:22pm Isn't it obvious? wrote:
1. They work locally not in Europe
2. Supply and demand, no polish builders equals Moore demand equals higher prices
We'll see though nothing is certain, housing demand might crash

On 21 Jun 2016 at 6:54pm The Old Mayor wrote:
Foreign property buyers don't buy here because we are in The EU but because we have the Pound !! It's considered a safe haven financially. If property prices do go down, that means it's as cheap to get another one ! So it's all relative isn't it, and if you're not selling what does it matter ?
On 21 Jun 2016 at 7:09pm Reliable Plumber wrote:
I'm voting Leave because if I see one more EU directive relating to my game I'm going stick it where the sun don't shine
On 21 Jun 2016 at 7:37pm landporter wrote:
Fantastic stuff, another EU thread....keep them coming
On 21 Jun 2016 at 11:10pm Simon wrote:
What, you mean the EU directives making your plumbing safer and more environmentally friendly? I only ask...
On 21 Jun 2016 at 11:56pm brexit arguer wrote:
Actually I’m only asking too.
I had a bit of a conflab with a friend, and I tried to convince him that EU directives are ruining small businesses, then he went and asked me for an example.
It made me look pretty stupid at the time, but I know I can win the argument, if I could cite a few examples – can anybody help? What about you Reliable Plumber – I hope I can actually rely on you.
I probably won’t win him over though, you know how intractable these remainers are.
On 22 Jun 2016 at 12:31am King of Sussex wrote:
Actually Old Mayor, the reason foreigners buy up high end London property has got nothing to do with the pound’s strength, foreign investors get more for their buck when it’s weak.
It’s because the UK is, compared to other nations, unusually indifferent to the identity of property owners. Other countries want to know who the actual owner is by name, whereas we’re quite happy for property to be owned by anonymous shell companies based in Panama or BVI. Nobody really cares if the money that buys a Mayfair penthouse came, via that shell company, from a corrupt Soviet asset sales deal, Nicaraguan drugs, Nigerian con tricks or the subscribers of a Surrey based paedophile ring.
UK property is one of the world’s most efficient markets for laundering dirty money, and of course, it helps fan the spiralling prices of property further down the chain. London has no more stability than most other large cities around the world, its only its lax approach to criminals that sets it apart – and therefore must be what’s driving it’s advantage. Boris is probably the country’s most vocal opposition to any reform. Brexit will do absolutely zip in that respect, except maybe give the Tories more opportunity to muddy the waters even further, outlawing Private Eye’s mapping of offshore based property ownership, for example.
On 22 Jun 2016 at 12:57am Plumber wrote:
Man, it must be embarrassing to be so stupid and so vocal.
If your house is expensive then the banks make more from interest on your mortgage. House prices do NOT matter if one plans t live in the UK.
And, why do we get annoyed with foreign tradesmen? Because we have to keep fixing their stupid mistakes.
I will make it simple, high house prices don't make people rich, it makes bankers rich. Interest on £500,000 is better than £200,000 Especially if it is provided free to UK banks. Which it is, but that is a long article that I don't think you could be bothered to read.
On 22 Jun 2016 at 7:06am Zebedee wrote:
House prices matter a lot if you are a first time buyer or if you are trying to move to another area (wanna move to the capital? No chance).

King is Sussex is correct. Much of our housing stock in London is being used to launder money and to evade tax. There are two reasons though, the first is that the UK allows just about anyone to buy a house with no identity checks, and the second is the UK and it's protectorates is the world's number one tax haven.

The result: a huge housing bubble in London and billions of pounds lost to the exchequer (i.e much, much more than we pay to the EU). The is where our anger should be directed, not at the EU.

On 22 Jun 2016 at 7:47am Knave of Sussex wrote:
KoS and Zeb. Both interesting points - well said.. This country excels at smoke and mirrors, both in politics and The City.
On 22 Jun 2016 at 9:00am Overton wrote:
One example I know of is an friend who rents a bed in London in an ex council house. This is divided into mini bedrooms at much higher density than it was designed for. The owner is a foreigner who pays no uk tax. So, this housing which was originally built at public expense is now an investment opportunity for someone with no connection or interest in the society around. This is all legal and the main parties are all in favour presumably.
I can understand the theories behind neo- liberal economics and it all sounds great in an Ayn Rand novel but the reality turns out to be decline of civil society.
On 22 Jun 2016 at 10:53am Clifford wrote:
Reliable Plumber wrote: 'I'm voting Leave because if I see one more EU directive relating to my game...'

I'm voting Leave, but I would be interested to know which particular EU directives have affected you the most.
On 22 Jun 2016 at 11:16am Local wrote:
I'm a self-employed plumber and think it's great that the EU has driven standardisation. When I started in this game customers would buy foreign sanitaryware and getting anything to fit to it would be a nightmare. Now I can be sure that almost anything bought from other EU countries (who, let's face it, make most of the stuff I use nowadays) will be simple to plumb in.
Although the lead-free solder is harder to use than the old leaded stuff I'm glad not to have to use the poisonous stuff any longer too. That was down to the EU I think. In fact I think there are many things I have to thank the EU for. And at this moment I can't think of one plumbing related EU-driven thing I am ungrateful for. I'm fully employed, booked months in advance and charge a healthy day rate. No grumbles. Unlike pre-EU, in the early 70s. Things were pretty awful then.... and there were loads of unregulated pumbers around badly fitting gas boilers and carbon-monoxide emitting flues.

Definitely better In.
On 22 Jun 2016 at 11:44am Carpenter wrote:
And any type of EU regulation would have to replaced by something else. That won't come free, so presumably out of taxation.

On 22 Jun 2016 at 9:11pm GoM to Overton wrote:
Just rejoice and be thankful that there is no such thing as society.

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Harveys Dray 41:132
Harveys Dray

Tom. You clearly think the answer to the question of who pays the interest to the IMF and what else it provides is interesting.... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine