Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Trad Jazz near Lewes?

On 6 Nov 2007 at 6:28am Deslan wrote:
As a newcomer to the area, I am having difficulty in finding up-to-date information on Trad Jazz venues locally. Has anyone any details, please?

On 6 Nov 2007 at 7:02am Declan wrote:
Sorry, but I mistyped my name in the above post. Declan.

On 9 Nov 2007 at 12:37pm Minnie The Moocher wrote:
Thankfully, I am not aware of any Sad Jazz in Lewes!

On 9 Nov 2007 at 3:07pm Lewesianne wrote:
How anyone can listen to Jazz without feeling irritated, I'll never know. It just sounds like 2 or 3 different songs being played over one another - really awful.
I suppose some Jazz expert/fan is going to tell me that one has to have an ear to be able to appreciate it but I've got 2 ears and they're both allergic to flat and off key migraine noise.

On 11 Nov 2007 at 3:03am lopster wrote:
LA so black'n'white, I'm surprised at you - disappointed too - surely there could be SOME jazz in SOME circumstances that you might find stimulating? - never say never after all - could just be a case of finding the right mood/surroundings/company/state-of-euphoria?

On 11 Nov 2007 at 4:55pm Lewesianne wrote:
Aw, don't be disappointed in me. I'm sure there is something out there but I havn't heard it probably because I avoid it like the plague. I used to go out with someone who played Jazz guitar in a band and I just couldn't get into it. To me, it's like putting two musical notes together that just dont compliament eachother. But I like some Blues though. I prefer music in a minor key, moody, thoughtful and maybe even sad so if you can recommend something that doesn't sound like musicians running up and down the scale at different times, then I will give it a go.

On 11 Nov 2007 at 9:22pm Winterbourne Wanderer wrote:
Lewesianne, I'm totally with you on this - think jazz of all kinds is like listening to a cat-fight. However Declan/Deslan has asked a sensible question and although I don't know the answer, I refer him to a number I saw in the Lewes News for fortnightly jazz workshops which take place in the Lewes Arms. The people there will surely be able to help. Tel 486782

On 13 Nov 2007 at 6:17pm Declan wrote:
Many thanks, Winterbourne Wanderer, for the contact number you kindly supplied. It seems that Trad Jazz (or, perhaps, any kind of jazz) is not very popular in this area; the very word has impinged upon some delicate sensibilities, I fear!

On 13 Nov 2007 at 8:43pm lopster wrote:
you tried the Con club? - near Shelley's - Con because its a thinly veiled re-branding of the Conservtive club now called the Constitutional club - would be nice to see Chasin' the Blues regular again - used to be a blues orientated club 1 sat a month in the All Saints (cinema)

28 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Through the Barbican 125:132
Through the Barbican

Hi. Has anyone been camping at Blackberry wood? I've booked with a small group for next month but am reading conflicting info on... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine