Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Tory boy

 
 
On 13 Apr 2011 at 2:38pm steve watts wrote:
Nick Clegg in Newhaven this afternoon (6ish) , anyone want to say hello ?
 
 
On 13 Apr 2011 at 3:57pm Red Ken wrote:
Would rather say b******s.
3
2
On 13 Apr 2011 at 4:24pm Tony Blair wrote:
Haven't you got anything better to do? Perhaps Steve if you spent more time actually speaking to people in Lewes rather waving placards around you and some of your Labour chums might not get such a bad kicking in the elections next month.
Your shrill self-righteousness is still unbelievably hypocritical from a party that took us into an illegal war in Iraq, introduced tuition fees, drastically curtailed our civil liberties, saw its MPs imprisoned for fraudulant expenses, and utterly decimated our economy. The only reason that the Tories are in government today is because Labour made such a shocking mess of it.
The Lib Dems are fighting hard against the Tories locally and can actually prevent them from taking control. All you can do is hand it to the Tories on a plate. Just like you did with our government.
2
 
On 13 Apr 2011 at 4:37pm Mr Forks wrote:
Lib Dems are traitors to their voters
1
1
On 13 Apr 2011 at 4:46pm Tony Blair wrote:
The Lib Dems have delivered on the vast majority of their manifesto commitments. People obsess about the tuition fees issue, but the LDs in government have raised the income tax threshold taking low earners out of tax, invested millions into the Green Investment Bank, introduced the Pupil Premium that will help school children from the poorest backgrounds from their earliest years, and and currently forcing the Tories to drastically rethink their proposed health reforms.
Obviously, our Labour friends would have preferred a majority Tory government to aim their vitriol at, but instead they choose to focus their ire on the Lib Dems because they've ruined the game for the big two. The Lib Dems are doing a good job in government, and far from being 'traitors' are delivering on the vast majority of their promises. A stark contrast to 13 years of Labour failure and betrayal.
1
 
On 13 Apr 2011 at 4:53pm steve watts wrote:
Hi Tony, at least when i speak i am brave enough to use my own name ! As "for a bad kicking in the elections next month " we shall see.
 
2
On 13 Apr 2011 at 5:02pm Merlin Milner wrote:
Most importantly lets not let in a Tory run District Council.
 
 
On 13 Apr 2011 at 5:03pm Tony Blair wrote:
Well Steve, maybe I'm worried you'll turn up outside my house waving placards! It's the inevitable result of your attempts at political bullying of anyone who dares to hold different views from you.
 
 
On 13 Apr 2011 at 5:56pm Vesbod wrote:
Ruth for PM !! (There's no other sensible option really is there !)
 
2
On 13 Apr 2011 at 5:57pm steve watts wrote:
Tony or whatever your name is, i honestly cant remember the last time i waved a placard and i am certain i have never bullied anyone for having a different view to my own. Do you know me ? Couldnt agree more Merlin,vote Labour.
1
1
On 13 Apr 2011 at 6:02pm Merlin Milner wrote:
3 Labour District Councillors, then you get a Tory Council. Hmmm. Not good.
 
2
On 13 Apr 2011 at 6:03pm Nick wrote:
Merlin Milner wrote: Most importantly lets not let in a Tory run District Council.

How about a Tory-Lib Dem district council?
 
2
On 13 Apr 2011 at 6:58pm Merlin Milner wrote:
Is that your preference Nick? It is not mine. A Lib Dem run LDC is my preference.
1
 
On 13 Apr 2011 at 7:01pm Nick wrote:
If a Tory-Lib Dem government is fine what's wrong with a Tory-Lib Dem district council. The two parties obviously get on fine.
 
 
On 13 Apr 2011 at 7:56pm Paul Newman wrote:
In many ways I would be rather relieved to see a proper Labour Party obliged to defend its record and live in the real world ( A place to which some Lewes cake-and -eat-its have got no close to than Noddy in his little car )
The real problem with our current electoral system , IMHO is exactly that despite lots of Labour supporters there are only 4 Labour MPs in the South East and 12 in the whole of the South. The same is true of the North of Conservatives.
The real Labour Party scheduled cuts deeper than those of the Saintly Lady
Thatch ,and introduced student fees ( despite a manifesto commitment not to), started the process of freeing schools and the NHS from failed post war rationing and wanted to go further .
The real Labour Party wanted David Milliband not a union tribune owing Unite (whose current leadership is terrifying ). The real Labour Party knows perfectly well that Public Sector pensions cannot go on as they are and has remained silent , which cannot go on .
The real Labour Party is concious that Neil Kinnock was doing an awful lot better with less ammunition and the fixed opinion of the electorate is that our deficits are their fault cannot be shifted by weasel words about Banks . They also know that promising to throw cash around is a hollow boast in the only tax exporting region outside London in the UK and that were Newhaven one of their friends in the North it would have received major investment .

Nonetheless I noticed Hratche Koundarjian demanding Norman Baker be recalled on the basis of a broken manifesto pledge a position so absurd that I can only assume he hoped no-one would notice. No tax rises , open and honest government .....oh yes I remember them well....
As for bullying
 
 
On 13 Apr 2011 at 7:59pm Paul Newman wrote:
.... no idea ?
The only one I have heard speak was Hratche he seemed ok
 
 
On 13 Apr 2011 at 8:13pm Mr Forks wrote:
The self satisfied Lib Dems in Lewes are really annoying, hope they all lose their deposits and the Condem MPs get decimated at the next general election. Last year thought Clegg was a breath of fresh air, this year he's just another posh tory boy with no principles and not a clue how real people live. their all the same!
 
 
On 13 Apr 2011 at 8:44pm not from around here wrote:
Are you the very same 'Steve Watts' from Viva Lewes?
1
 
On 13 Apr 2011 at 8:51pm Viva Islington wrote:
Its not Viva Lewes, its Viva Islington, the DFL 'lifestyle mag' available in all painted twig and string shops as well as Islington Parkway Station (just off Southover High St)
 
 
On 14 Apr 2011 at 8:04am catlin wrote:
Dear Mr Forks, they will not lose their deposits because at Town and District elections, no deposits are payable,
 
 
On 14 Apr 2011 at 8:16am Mr Forks wrote:
Thats a shame!
 
 
On 14 Apr 2011 at 9:29am Gloria mundi wrote:
How dare you attack Viva Lewes, VI. It is already established as our municipal treasure along with Bills and Bonfire. Are you the same Steve Watts who heroicly blocked the path of the getaway car on Cliffe Bridge with a traffic cone?
 
 
On 14 Apr 2011 at 9:46am steve watts wrote:
Thats me !
 
 
On 14 Apr 2011 at 3:32pm not from around here wrote:
Hard to tell if you are tongue-in-cheek Gloria Mundi - I guess you must be.
 
 
On 14 Apr 2011 at 8:05pm Rookie wrote:
I, as a lifelong Lewes resident, like Viva Lewes. A good read and free. Why do some insist on attacking it?
2
 
On 14 Apr 2011 at 9:25pm You asked wrote:
Could it be because it mainly panders to the privileged Lewes middle class (many who are recent immigrants who've capitalised on London house prices)? Could it be because the magazine concentrates on frivolities like *art*, and avoids addressing sensitive issues of relevance to the majority, long term and possibly more impoverished residents, with anything approaching grit or balls? Could it be because it is safe, clean, uncontroversial, nice and prissy, scared to court controversy or give offense, ultimately anodine and well, safe and a bit dull?

Could it be just because its blithe brand of blinkered middle-class priviledge is irritating to those that aren't?

Myself, I like Viva Lewes, but I'm from Brighton where we knowingly appreciate the "arty" (in a knowing post-modern sort of a way).

It is going to be interesting to see how well the magazine is greeted when it launches in Brighton soon.

It'll certainly have a place, even if it is only to irritate the Evening Argus and The Latest (Homes) for a while.
 
1
On 14 Apr 2011 at 10:30pm Rookie wrote:
To answer your questions you would probably have to ask someone involved with the publication rather than a mere reader like myself. But for all your criticisms I still like it. Perhaps some t!ts on page 3 and a few Elvis sightings might make it more appealing to the more impoverished?
 
 
On 14 Apr 2011 at 10:59pm Jonathan Spencer wrote:
To go back to the Lib-dem arguments made earlier. Yes Labour made mistakes and we need to put our hands up to them. However, we did in the main stick to pledges we made at election time. The person calling themselves Tony Blair is wrong...Nick Clegg and the Liberal Democrats promised us all a new approach to politics but less than a year into the coalition government, the Lib Dems have broken nearly all of their election pledges on tuition fees, VAT and protecting local services.
Merlin using the the same old scare tactic of vote for us and keep the tory out just doesn't cut any ice, now that many in Lewes voted for the Lib-dems and put the Tory in.
People knock Bills and Viva Lewes, yes they are both a bit glossy and can be pretentious, but both have brought different things to the Town, I remember Bill with lots of Curly hair getting up very early in the morning and running the green grocers, he and the cafe deserve their success, they worked hard for it. The people at VL were certainly instrumental in helping create the community idea that saved the Rooks.
What exactly do the `lib-dems stand for anyway? The only thing I can see is pretending to keep the tory out.
Paul Newman as ever a thoughtful but vaguely Tory piece, although Kinnock is well worth revisiting, not a great leader but a brilliant orator his "I warn you" speech about Thatchers cuts could equally apply now and can be seen on Youtube.
There is a simple answer and that is the Lib-dems have not done brilliantly across the district, they have not managed things well because not knowing what they really stand for they have been unwilling to stand up to developers or even the Tories (known as the orange book Liberals) that have taken over their own party.
Where is their list of achievements for Lewes, bins that are too small, almost closing the Pells until there was a public outcry, The Leisure centre only improved after it went solo as a charitable trust, roadside recycling is a joke and I could go on.
Its time for a new broom and time for the Lib-dems to go so they can sort out their own back yard.
 
 
On 14 Apr 2011 at 11:23pm Dave wrote:
I realise it's not really page 3 material but here are some blue tits for you 'more impoverished' people

View the picture »
 
 
On 15 Apr 2011 at 12:28am vivalewes reader wrote:
You asked and viva Islington are just idiots out to get a reaction. Ignore them and they might go away
 
 
On 15 Apr 2011 at 8:48am 'ere be monsters wrote:
Pity you need a magnifying glass to read it.
 
 
On 15 Apr 2011 at 1:25pm Matt Kent wrote:
The results wont lie on May 6th (day of the count). In the thread above Tony Blair says Labour should 'spend more time actually speaking to people in Lewes rather waving placards around'. Merlin Milner keeps trumpeting the LibDem war cry 'lets not let in a Tory run District Council'. How about Merlin, Lewes Town and District Councils get some fresh forward looking hard working councillors from the Green Party to hold the balance of power, then the other parties might work a little harder and consult on local issues in the future than tow the party line? To continuously repeat '...its either the LibDems or the Tories...' on here and in your leaflets is utterly arrogant and is actually not what Lewes has been talking about for months.
If Lewes residents are going to protest vote against the LibDems, or just the mainstream in general, its quite clear from some opinions above that the Green Party are the only clear alternative (apart from Ruth). Why vote for Labour? We need to be voting for current and prospective candidates that are already working hard for the people of Lewes and from watching councillors performances over the last year from the public gallery you'd want some serious change. To bring about less of the 'same old, same old', we should all be thinking about using our votes positively and voting for a party that works hard for Lewes and wants reform and greater council transparency. More importantly though - progress! Cheers - Matt
 
 
On 15 Apr 2011 at 4:18pm Steve watts wrote:
To bring about less of the 'same old, same old', we should all be thinking about using our votes positively and voting for a party that works hard for Lewes and wants reform and greater council transparency. More importantly though - progress! Couldnt agree more Matt. Vote Labour
 
 
On 15 Apr 2011 at 7:09pm supporter wrote:
Wasted vote if you vote for the Greens,haven't a chance of winning.
Couldn't even win if av was introduced.
 
 
On 15 Apr 2011 at 7:35pm Steve George wrote:
Supporter - don't believe what the other parties tell you. The Greens got more votes than Labour and Tory combined in the most recent local election and were just 124 votes away from getting a District Councillor in 2007, so we are way way ahead of Labour and the Conservatives in the Town. We've also had 3 hard working Town Councillors since 2007 so have already won in Lewes, AV or no AV. That's the reason both Labour and the Lib Dems are telling you not to vote Green. We are the only real opposition to the Lib Dems and the only party offering something truly different to them, and that suits neither the Lib Dems or Labour. Have a look at our website and see all our candidates and Councillors have been doing for local people for a long time. See how many of our candidates go to Town Council meetings and ask questions, something no other party does. That's because we are committed. We are arguably the most active of all the local parties on local campaigns. It'd be great if Labour could likewise tells us all the hard work they've been doing locally for the people of Lewes too - actions speak a lot louder than words. We believe votes should be earned and would rather campaign on the basis of what we've done to show we'll be good Councillors than enter the negative debates of the Lib Dems and Labour. If everyone did the same it'd be a level of maturity and integrity that Lewes politics badly needs.
 
 
On 15 Apr 2011 at 7:47pm Holed up on Mt caburn wrote:
Actually I have seen Labour people out quite a lot, yes and talking to people. Admittedly it was when i was down in my old haunts on the malling, they have not visited me on Mt Caburn.
Then I saw Roger Murray knocking on endless doors with no answer or being turned away, and some smarmy Lib-dems probably the last few to leave the sinking ship.
I am sure the greens are well meaning but these small parties are not really going to get any where, if they are not trumpeting some outmoded marxist stuff they are dictating how we should live our lives and will probably make it illegal from me to cuddle up to my sheep to keep warm.
Didn't the Murrays used to be in the Labour party but got chucked out for telling everyone to vote Liberal.
Down where you are standing Matt you and Jonathan Spencer, (yes him above) are probably the only ones that haven't been through a multitude of parties previously.
Once you get the power you crave, what will really happen, you will be in the thrall of the local civil servants, who, this being a very strong masonic town have always done things a certain way and always will. Those that try to change things do not last very long....be warned, they will 'square' you away.
 
 
On 15 Apr 2011 at 8:47pm Steve George wrote:
Holed up on Mt Caburn - you say people change parties as if there's something wrong but loyalty should surely be to principles not a party line? I was canvassing last night and can assure you what people are telling us is very positive and no-one turned us away. The absolute opposite in fact with two houses inviting us in for a drink. People are fed up with "old politics" and want something new. It's not a matter of small parties getting nowhere - the Greens have already got somewhere and we are growing because people know we do what we say - our membership is going up all the time, not just nationally with disaffected Labour and Lib Dem members, but in Lewes too. I met a few disaffected people now voting Green last night and a couple of them now have Vote Green posters in their windows - that's a very different experience to what you describe. Matt would be an amazing Councillor and even if I wasn't a Green I'd challenge any other candidate to prove they work even half as hard as him for Lewes. I'll bear your warnings in mind but I'll take my chances, and if you want to cuddle your sheep that's fine I'm sure :-)
 
 
On 15 Apr 2011 at 9:05pm Holed un on Mt Caburn wrote:
Why would Matt be an amazing councillor, what exactly is he going to do. What exactly will you do. In the end very little, because you can't. You will be administrators of a given budget and restricted by Law.
Nationally you have 1 MP, what use are you against the massive tidal wave of cuts being handed down from Downing street and the County Council. The lefty TUSA people at 'stop the cuts' are more use. You are just nice well meaning middle class people.
As to principles Susan Murrays was to vote Lib-dem and keep the tory out, some years ago she was a co signatory on a letter to the National newspapers on this issue. This is the very thing you are now telling the Lib-dems not to say, so where are your principles, aren't you sticking to them?
 
 
On 16 Apr 2011 at 2:44am not from around here wrote:
Why is Viva Lewes not good for the town? Because it represents and promotes a specific view of the town at the expense of all others. It's using it's commercial success to promote it's own view of what it thinks Lewes ought to be. Many people are simply unaware how only VL luvvies and their activities are covered in it's pages - all other classes of people and activities are ignored.
It's a lifestyle mag and that lifestyle is middle class arty-snobby - nothing else gets a look-in. I didn't know they were launching in Brighton but I do know quite a few people who read it in Brighton - for a laugh, although it's nowhere near as unintentionally funny as it was when Marina Pepper used to ramble on in its pages.
To quote VL, it's used to writing about "a town that punches well above it's cultural weight" in Lewes. Well Brighton may just prove to be a knockout punch..
 
 
On 16 Apr 2011 at 8:37am steve watts wrote:
"Vl luvvies" I have been called many things in my life but a luvvie i am not ! "middle class arty-snobby" like supporting the Rooks perhaps ? I have to admit though Marina's column was a little unusual, wasnt she a coalition member ? Has anyone else noticed how nasty the Greens are becoming ?
 
 
On 16 Apr 2011 at 9:29am You didn't ask but... wrote:
Traditionally a working class sport, the middle classes started to take an interest in football a little over two decades ago. It was sickening to see, people previously oblivious to the sport became fanatics overnight (in the way only the bend-with-the-wind middle classes can). The result has been the wholesale corporatisation of the sport, creation of the elitist money-sucking premier league, clubs run as businesses, mind-boggling salaries, hugely expensive tickets, empty corporate boxes, and the pedestrianisation of the game itself, with safety becoming the key game-play factor.
The greed and vested interest now inherent in the sport is causing it to die from the roots.... and not before time.... then some of the other numerous great sports might get more of a look in.

BTW Steve, what an amazing job you do with Viva Lewes advertising.
 
 
On 16 Apr 2011 at 10:06am steve watts wrote:
YDAB You obviously havnt been watching developments at Lewes FC recently ?
 
1
On 16 Apr 2011 at 10:15am MC wrote:
Looks like he's been watching Chelsea


This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one


 

Lewes Crest 66:132
Lewes Crest

Good to hear.

Tempers have been flaring in town over the lack of diversity of choice of olive oil ;p

Would love to know... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa