Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Thousands of new council homes

On 4 Oct 2017 at 10:07pm House the homeless wrote:
Theresa May today said her government will build Thousands of new homes, but how many will go to the homeless, or British born, or are they being built just for immigrants?
On 4 Oct 2017 at 10:17pm The biggest billy goat wrote:
You're a troll, fol-de-rol, you're a troll, fol-de-ro-ol.
On 4 Oct 2017 at 10:30pm Fairmeadow wrote:
2 billion might buy 15,000 new homes, assuming they are mostly small. Given fair shares, that might be 30 in Lewes District. Good news for 30 families if it happens, and the announcement is followed by some actual money. Hardly a revolution. However, Lewes District has the Robinson Road project in Newhaven all designed and ready to go, so if they moved fast they might just see some of the action. But is the Council up to it? Is our MP able to help?
On 4 Oct 2017 at 11:00pm @H t H wrote:
Where in Lewes do you live?
On 4 Oct 2017 at 11:20pm interested wrote:
Well, Conservative driven ESCC has now had a clear even if cough ridden message from their preferred leader. Can we now expect them to comply - social housing on the St Anne's site ASAP!
On 4 Oct 2017 at 11:23pm Pro brexit granny wrote:
Yep I will have one. Rent it out for me pension. Sweet.
On 4 Oct 2017 at 11:25pm mavis wrote:
I wonder what those ultra rich NIMBYS are thinking ....
On 5 Oct 2017 at 9:02am Actually wrote:
Pretty sure it worked out to 5,000 new homes not 15,000. Over a 4 year period it's pathetic, that'll probably equate to 1 council house in Lewes.
On 5 Oct 2017 at 9:29am bobobob wrote:
It's a trick question. None, as they won't actually build any
Failure of successive governments. Most lately, where's the 200k starter homes the conservatives promised to build by 2020?

Stop pumping money in with HTB etc and start bloody building
On 5 Oct 2017 at 9:58am Ernie wrote:
Forget it. It's a Tory promise. So that means it's an out-and-out bare faced lie.
On 5 Oct 2017 at 11:21am johnson wrote:
More for the mussys and others just off the boat
On 5 Oct 2017 at 12:19pm shabba wrote:
^we could do an exchange, you leave and they can come in
On 5 Oct 2017 at 4:09pm any thoughts? wrote:
my wife passed away 6 days ago.(47 years married and broken hearted now) I phoned pensions up. to tell them of her passing, but thought I would ask about widowers pension. they told me I am to old at 66 to claim widowers pension? we both paid in from being 15 years old. so I said... no fuc*** wonder as all the benefits go to foreign b******s. she then hung up! yea keep looking after the foreigners Theresa. along with dead leg corbyn. wtf happened to Britain?
On 5 Oct 2017 at 4:44pm Fairmeadow wrote:
@Actually: 2,000,000,000 divided by 5,000 homes would be 400,000 each!
When we build new council homes we don't buy them at market prices. We build them on free land, either already owned by the council, like Robinson Road, or compulsorily provided free by a developer as part of the deal by which they get planning permission to build other houses to sell, or compulsorily purchased at agricultural prices (as we always did back in the days when we actually built them). The economics don't work otherwise. Actually building a new 2-bed house on free land costs around 150K. Less for a 1-bed flat, which is the type most in demand. So around 20,000.
When you pay 400,000 for your Lewes semi more than half the purchase price is for the land it stands on. That is why you only insure it for the rebuilding price, which in this area is around half the market price.
On 5 Oct 2017 at 4:53pm bobobob wrote:
^It's 5,000 per year for 5 years so the 80,000 figure is accurate.
On 6 Oct 2017 at 12:33am Diane Abbott wrote:
Er um err - so that's about one pounds per house?? Err umm
On 6 Oct 2017 at 7:26am Ghost of Maggie wrote:
Just rejoice and be thankful for the Right to Buy.
On 6 Oct 2017 at 8:24am builder wrote:
Do not fear Theresa is building them all in Chipping Norton.
On 6 Oct 2017 at 10:29am Actually wrote:
@Fairmeadow, well that clarifies it, we both made incorrect assumptions.
I assumed you meant 15,000 per year (you meant total).
You assumed I meant total (I meant per year).
I'll highlight the obvious elephant in the room though, who is going to build these houses, none of the big companies will touch these kind of projects they're just too small for them to be bothering with (they want to build 2,000+ sites, not a house here and a house there). Which in turn will mean we end up paying we'll over the odds or having to give them half of the "free land" to sweeten the deal. Either way an 80k house isn't going to cost 80k.

18 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

lewes penny 73:132
lewes penny

This site availability is not widely known and is obviously another useful means of contacting a GP unless you have an emergency... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington