Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

This forum: Could be improved a bit

On 6 Jul 2010 at 11:24pm OldHand wrote:
As someone who uses forums quite frequently I'd love to see some additions made to this one. IMHO some improvements could increase participation and the usefulness of discussions:
* Notification of new posts in subscribed threads (by far the most important)
* Private messaging
* Profiles

On 7 Jul 2010 at 5:30am SHS wrote:
Rubbish. It's fine as it is and refreshingly different.
On 7 Jul 2010 at 6:32am Decent Citizen wrote:
Absolutely fine as it is. No improvements needed. This is a very active site already. I suggest you stick with the forums you use and leave ours alone!
On 7 Jul 2010 at 7:13am Ken Wood wrote:
Well said, run away to your own 'private' little forums OldHand
On 7 Jul 2010 at 8:09am supporter wrote:
yes leave us alone we are fine as we are thank you.

On 7 Jul 2010 at 8:49am OldHand wrote:
OK, fair enough. Not even email alerts to replies then?

On 7 Jul 2010 at 8:54am 'ere be monsters wrote:
You need to get out a bit more mate if you need emails that badly.

On 7 Jul 2010 at 9:05am jrsussex wrote:
Nice to know that other contributors to this forum feel as I do. It is a very good forum in several aspects, mostly good discussion, assistance has been given in a number of cases (lost dogs and other things) all dispensed, at times, with humour. So OldHand I'm afraid the message is becoming clear, leave well alone. This forum allows me to feel I know the regular posters although if I was stood next to them in the street obviously I wouldn't, I think that's great sign of the quality of the forum.

On 7 Jul 2010 at 9:22am OldHand wrote:
all right... I give up, bad suggestion. I was only thinking that something like email alerts might encourage more people to use the forums and return after leaving a post. I'll crawl away now.

On 7 Jul 2010 at 9:39am kevsy wrote:
OH I wouldn't take it too personally. There are an awful lot of sarcastic abusive people on here that like nothing more than to exchange clever wisecracks with each other and jumping on any new or unusual views. I'm not sure there is any desire to increase the diversity of topics or people that participate. Shame really.

On 7 Jul 2010 at 9:58am Victim wrote:
Take away the 'oneupmanship' and the 'demean everyone else's post' brigade and you'll have a decent forum.

On 7 Jul 2010 at 10:01am Clifford wrote:
I've learned a lot that I didn't know about Lewes from this site. It gets particularly interesting when, for example, an out-of-town developer is planning some new horror, LDC planning department has been caught out in another cock-up, there is an election etc.

On 7 Jul 2010 at 10:09am Dave wrote:
I like it the way it is I don't want to have to log in or register. I like that way I can just pop in and post and see others posts in the context of the thread.

kevsy if you want more diversity why not start more diverse threads?

On 7 Jul 2010 at 10:33am kevsy wrote:
Believe me I've tried and I get swamped by the same old faces. To be honest I've now learned how to flick over them as I read. I too find the forum interesting and agree that the free form nature works. The downside is always that it attracts people that seem to get kicks out of putting others down, this thread being a classic example.

On 7 Jul 2010 at 12:00pm jrsussex wrote:
In open type debate, which is basically what this forum is, the fact that someone has a different view does not make that view wrong. I will admit some posts are incredibly stupid, whilst others are unnecessarily offensive but in the main it is a good mix of the views and opinions of Mr Joe Public. Generally I find it refreshing and at times educational in matters I have little or a restricted knowledge of.

On 7 Jul 2010 at 12:40pm Clifford wrote:
As often (surprisingly as you're a crusty old Tory!) I find myself agreeing with you jrsussex.

On 7 Jul 2010 at 3:49pm Luvinit wrote:
I like how you can post about local topics without fear of reprise using any old name and put your point across
keep it the way it is.

On 7 Jul 2010 at 5:05pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I must admit, there have been times when I have wished there was a private messaging facility, but otherwise it's fine imo.
On 7 Jul 2010 at 5:18pm Bellenden Belle wrote:
Actually I think the content is fine and it is clearly a well-used informative site, but the layout could definitely be improved to make the content more accessible. One forum I also use is www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk which is far more user friendly. It is possible to do that without using the forum's community spirit.

On 7 Jul 2010 at 6:11pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Interresting site - and far more polite than some of the comments on this forum ! But prefer the style of this one as you don't have to register.

On 7 Jul 2010 at 6:18pm Bellenden Belle wrote:
Fair enough - but what are the advantages of not registering out of interest?
But the layout - the different sections I think are a really good idea, and I think help people identify with the forum more - the family discussion room constantly helps people to make friends; the drawing room is the place to go for serious political debate; the lounge for silly discussion; and the main section for all things area-related.

On 7 Jul 2010 at 9:35pm MiscellAny wrote:
@Bellenden Belle: I actually like the fact that the posts are not sorted into categories. This open, loose format is what makes this forum unique! Anyway, how would the categories be decided? How do we know that we would all agree on what belongs into which category? We would have to have endless threads about posts being in the wrong category.....

On 7 Jul 2010 at 9:50pm Down and Out wrote:
The only change I'd like - which happens on the other things I post on - is that the thread with the most recent post automatically jumps to the top of the list. That'd be good.

On 7 Jul 2010 at 10:40pm Bellenden Belle wrote:
@MiscellAny The way it works on the EDF is that there is a moderator for each room - someone who just keep a gentle eye on things, moving posts as needs be. I imagine the categories for Lewes would be much the same as other forums - with perhaps a special one for Bonfire night!

On 7 Jul 2010 at 11:48pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
@Bellenden Belle - what are the advantages of registering ??
But I do like the idea of different discussion rooms for different interest groups, especially the family room. It could broaden the appeal of this forum to add additional rooms, as well as keeping the original forum with all catagories of debate. Then people could go back to previous debates, or keep them going longer in the individual rooms, without having to trawl through the archive.

On 8 Jul 2010 at 10:11am Mr Change wrote:
What I like about this forum is, you don't have to register, you don't get another email every time someone farts, and they don't want to know what colour my underpants are before I am allowed to speak..... what I don't like about it is despite the views above that suggest there is a wide demographic posting comments here I think it is mostly the same dozen or 2 people who occasionally change their names if they want to say something particularly abusive but most of the time I know what they were going to say before they said it, and if they don't like your opinion then be prepared to be shot down in flames and generally abused, talking of which what's happened to Prick these days....?

On 8 Jul 2010 at 1:43pm Independent thinker wrote:
I agree with Down and Out, the one change I'd like to see is the thread with the most recent post moving to the top. Interesting threads can get buried just because a bunch of new ones have been started, not because the topic itself has died out.
Oh, and Mr Change, Prick Stein (formerly Spongebob?), now appears to be posting as TAFKAPS (clearly a Prince fan). Or at least all three of those names say exactly the same things in exactly the same way.

On 8 Jul 2010 at 2:28pm TeDeum wrote:
... and it's always belligerently juvenile, never adds anything to a conversation and is never, ever funny (to anyone apart from him I suspect anyway).

On 8 Jul 2010 at 8:00pm MC wrote:
> it is mostly the same dozen or 2 people who occasionally change their names
That many huh?

> most of the time I know what they were going to say before they said it
I'd really like to have your babies

On 8 Jul 2010 at 8:35pm Webbo wrote:
We are averaging around 13,000 unique visitors a month at the moment
Not all of them post on the forum though.
Over 170,000 page views in May alone.

On 9 Jul 2010 at 11:33am MC wrote:
13k visitors a month and (possibly) less than a couple of dozen regular posters. I wonder why the forum is not so popular amongst more of these visitors. TAFKAPs (hilarious etc), maybe you have an idea?

On 12 Jul 2010 at 10:19am Webbo wrote:
Just looked at the stats for June and its up again to over 188,000 pages viewed in that month alone!

5 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Down the Pan 32:132
Down the Pan

Thanks, Stevied. You’re right, They are the best fields and pretty secure, (save for the gate at the top.) She’s on heat at... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams