Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

This forum

On 28 Jul 2011 at 7:46pm A new dawn wrote:
Are we being over censored ? over moderated ? Ive noticed a few posts have been removed lately, including the one about a lad being beaten up in Landport. Any ideas webbo ? An explanation would be nice.
Maybe, as suggested in other posts, we need to considder registration

On 28 Jul 2011 at 8:46pm Webbo wrote:
I was asked to remove that thread as there is an ongoing police investigation about the matter.

I Think registration would be a bad idea but am open to discussion.

On 28 Jul 2011 at 11:12pm TeDeum wrote:
Hopefully one of the 10 bystanders did report the matter then.

On 29 Jul 2011 at 8:58am bastian wrote:
webbo has the right to do as he sees fit,especially in the case mentioned above,there is nothing wrong with a little sensorship other wise this forum would disolve into insult.

On 29 Jul 2011 at 4:27pm Guido wrote:
Bastian, what do you mean " would dissolve into insult"? It has already happened. Try looking at any post and you'll find someone insulting someone. It's getting a bit boring on here really! Even if you post sensibly, it'll come back with someone having a dig!

On 29 Jul 2011 at 8:56pm Androgynous coward wrote:
And that's because of the forum's resident anonymous cowards, or actually just two or three anonymous cowards who continually make snidy comments under multiple user names in many threads. It's boring, always leads to flaming and drives off the people who have something interesting and constructive to say. Those idiots present the best reason there is for registration.

Right Andy, James & Tom?

On 29 Jul 2011 at 10:31pm Lopster wrote:
hear hear

On 30 Jul 2011 at 10:21am Old man wrote:
As if registration would prevent anonymous posts...!
Hmm, I wonder how many ways there are to hide our identity online unless we all line up with three forms of ID at lewes.co.uk office...

On 30 Jul 2011 at 12:56pm Deelite wrote:
People are less to make stupid comments if they have to register first, especially if they have built up a forum "identity" under their chosen username. If they register and make multiple comments aimed at starting flame wars then they'll be banned and so will their IP address, making it much more troublesome for them to register under a second pseudonym.

It is not open to doubt that registration will cut down the excessive number of stupid inflammatory posts (and I have moderated a number of forums over the last decade). The worry with this forum is there is not enough traffic to sustain registration and that some of the lost immediacy will put people off from joining/making posts. Personally I think the level of discussion will increase dramatically (as the forum will be much more inclusive) and that the general atmosphere will become a lot more friendly.... but then, I've been wrong before.

On 30 Jul 2011 at 2:25pm Decent Citizen wrote:
I feel it is okay as it is.Webbo is very good at deleting the rubbish, inflammatory etc.To put your real identity on here in a small town like Lewes, would be rather foolish in my opinion. Stick to one user name,although on one or two occasions like the drugs in Lewes, I have used another,not for any reason other than to protect myself from any unpleasantness, because Webbo can see who you are. Having said that, I now stick to one name. This is a great forum,do not let the moron element ruin it please. Webbo I salute you,you do a great job,thankyou.

On 30 Jul 2011 at 7:13pm bastian wrote:
he can see our URL,but more than one person can post from it.I think this forum has it about right,it gives space to people who aren't hardened forum users but want to keep up with waht goes on around here.

On 30 Jul 2011 at 10:15pm Androgynous coward wrote:
The webmaster must have better things to do. Moderating this forum for inflammatory posts and the endless spam must be a time consuming chore. It's also unneccessary.

To register on a forum you do not have to use your real name (do you guys use any other forums?) . You use a moniker, much like bastian, Decent Citizen or Deelite. Registration will reduce the ars**** posts, ensuring that the majority of threads do not end in anger (as they often do now), but not make a jot of difference to the majority of sensible posters (except their posts won't be slagged off by anonymous cowards).

If you want to have an alter ego (for the drugs thread for instance) you can register a second profile. This will not be a problem. It will only be a problem for the James, Andy's and Toms (the modern version of Tom, Dick and Harry), that insist on making derogatory posts in many threads, each with a unique user name.

They are not big and they are not funny but they make an ugly mess of this forum.

On 31 Jul 2011 at 11:54am bastian wrote:
and most of us ignore them,so it doesn't matter.

On 1 Aug 2011 at 8:02am Androgynous Coward wrote:
Looks like my last post was removed. I wonder why. It didn't seem contentious.

You might, but a lot of people have given up posting due to the overwhelmingly negative reactions received here. Many post once receive a stupid bitter reply from one of the cowards and then never return.

I'm genuinely surprised you are content to have such a large number of threads end in vitriol.
As someone commented on Twitter, it often seems like a nest of vipers here.

On 1 Aug 2011 at 10:54am Southover Queen wrote:
"a lot of people have given up posting due to the overwhelmingly negative reactions received here. Many post once receive a stupid bitter reply from one of the cowards and then never return"
That was precisely my experience the first time I posted here.
I made a comment a week or so ago observing that it's a pity that this forum is dominated by people who cannot resist making stupid and unfunny comments to any thread - for instance, the post about a service for the isolated elderly which has "I think I've soiled myself" as a reply. In what universe is that (a) funny or (b) useful? As someone who runs a message board myself I know how useful a forum can be, whether it's part of a work community or a geographical one, but that function is very likely to be choked off by replies from "regulars" who seem to want to talk amongst themselves and are actively hostile to newcomers.

On 1 Aug 2011 at 11:15am coward wrote:
Yes - I've posted before under another name and was hounded off the site by a couple of the regulars. I held a different point of view to them and was absolutely bullied mercilessly until I left. The whole thing was extremely upsetting and I do wonder what effect if might have had on someone vulnerable.
It does seem like this forum can be a circle j*rk for a few unpleasant people. I'm back now because the forum is great for finding tradesmen etc but I can't be bothered with trying to chat any more.
Still don't know about registration though. It's good to escape people's preconceptions by changing your name.

On 1 Aug 2011 at 12:46pm Androgynous Coward wrote:
SQ.
I think that the thread you refer to was started by one of the anonymous cowards so he could then write a reply (the soiled one you refer to) using a forums regulars name... with the express purpose of making the regular look like a pillock. The fake username has been changed now.
This is the sort of childish behaviour that registration would put an end to.

Coward
The would not be anything to stop you registering more than one username. Only if you became regularly abusive would you be banned.

On 1 Aug 2011 at 3:19pm Toot wrote:
I'd like to ask a question:
Who gets to decide what is 'abusive'? Something that you find abusive might be considered amusing to others, or considered tongue-in-cheek by the author.
I'd certainly object to this forum becoming overly-moderated because some individuals are thin-skinned or hyper-sensitive to throw-away comments.
Webbo already removes posts that he feels are inappropriate, so who are you (for example) to say what can and can't make it onto a public forum? Why is your yardstick for correctness better or more fair than anyone else's?
Do you suggest that we have some sort of democratic voting system for what is OK and what isn't? That would be inordinately time-consuming and (in my opinion) pointless.

On 1 Aug 2011 at 4:36pm Southern Queen wrote:
It's a question of manners, really, I think. Would you behave like that in a pub to a newcomer? Which is likely to be more welcoming: a bunch of gobby sneering down-and-outs or people who can hold a conversation, share information and advice and generally behave like adults? The problem is that at the moment the trolls predominate and discourage anyone else. I think that's a shame: I'd love this to be somewhere where you could ask for help finding tradesmen and so on, but the way it is at the moment I wouldn't trust the replies.

On 1 Aug 2011 at 5:53pm Coward wrote:
Precisely
In normal conversation with a stranger would you make snide remarks absolutely every time a person you disliked said absolutely anything, repeat everything that the other person said, say that the other person smelt, that they should have been aborted, say that they are a fool, are mentally ill, ask for other people to vote against the person - not their opinion, but the actual person, use that person's username, or butt in on another person's conversation with something totally different? That's all happened here.
It's a pity as there are a few interesting people on the forum.
If you disagree with a comment, say so or take the piss - that's fine. I've done it myself if I feel that the forum is being used to promote vile views. The problem here is when people turn it into a vendetta.

On 1 Aug 2011 at 7:32pm Androgynous Coward wrote:
Yes, and the sad thing is it really is only 2 or 3 people. It just looks like more as they use different user names every time they post.

Toot, it would be the webmaster I imagine, just as it is now. You should bear in mind that the need for moderation should be reduced (so less need even for webbo 'to say what can and can't make it onto a public forum'). This forum currently requires a high degree of moderation (especially when you include the high spam quotient).

On 1 Aug 2011 at 7:56pm Southover/Southern Queen wrote:
"This forum currently requires a high degree of moderation (especially when you include the high spam quotient)."
The forum I run has 1800+ users, of whom probably about 100 are active and actually post. We had to institute registration because (a) it does reduce trolling behaviour somewhat and (b) it has completely prevented our site being drowned in spam. We do almost no moderating, except when one of the known trolls finds a way back in. Being able to put nuisance users into premod is definitely useful and does definitely help to create a space where new users can post without too much fear!

On 1 Aug 2011 at 7:57pm bastian wrote:
emerson? is that you,in more than one guise?only webbo will know for certain.

On 1 Aug 2011 at 8:12pm Deelite wrote:
The post is measured, reasoned, well-written and sane. Definitely not Emerson.

On 1 Aug 2011 at 10:26pm Southover Queen wrote:
No, I'm not Emerson, whoever Emerson is. (I do seem to have unintentionally created a sock-puppet: I have posted as Southern Queen a couple of times by mistake - sorry)

Registration doesn't actually have to involve the moderators at all; it can (with the right software) all be completely automated. It does mean that there is a sort of virtual paper trail: you can trace users and their posts back to an IP address, for instance, and it's easy to see when a single user has multiple identities. That should mean that a new user merely needs to enter his chosen name and an associated email address and then click on a link in an email to confirm to join the site. Our site has sections visible to any visitor and sections visible only to registered members, and no-one can post without registering. It works very well for us and is actually pretty well maintenance free. However it may not be the same story at all for the software used here; ours is built on the PHPBB platform and is both free (open source) and very robust while this is clearly a different system.

I don't think that registration is a cure-all, though. I suspect the answer for this forum is for enough non-trolls to join and/or participate so that the trolls are left talking to themselves while the rest get on with playing nicely.

On 2 Aug 2011 at 2:24am Deelite wrote:
Whilst the trolls can fake others usernames there's little hope for sobriety.

On 2 Aug 2011 at 3:45pm LIVELOVELAUGH wrote:
I have read with interest the comments here. I do thnk it is a shame that some people can be so sneering when it is just not necessary. I added a comment to a forum and when I cam back to look there where many posts added to it, not one was commenting on the content of my post, every single one, about 5 or 6 were all about my level of spelling, grammer, etc. My feelings were not hurt! But I thought what a waste of time it was putting my comments forward if that is the response you get! I spend far more time on my computer than is healthy, and when I discovered this site I was looking at it every day, this is the first time I have been back for over a week. If this is responded to in the same manner as before, I will look once, then it will be bye, bye Lewes Forum. I am sure there are some very friendly users out there, but the empty vessels make the most noise and I can't be bothered with it. Its not about being upset or offended it is about avoiding the unpleasant child in the playground who just gets on your nerves. Get a life idiots. Good luck to the rest of you. Decent Citizen, I am very suspicious of someone that would call themselves that!!

On 2 Aug 2011 at 9:50pm MC wrote:
Well I'm glad you're here, but I'm not here any more (at least not with this user name) as one of the small handful of snidy coward users reacts to many of my posts with the same bitter comments, under multiple user names and to add to that even makes embarrassing posts using my name.

I'm glad you've persevered a little with his forum, and your stance is understandable. Personally I'm trying to wean myself off it (not entirely successfully as yet).

On 2 Aug 2011 at 10:31pm Marge wrote:
I'm sorry you have had that experience, MC. You are among the few posters whose opinions I have respected even when I didn't always agree with them. Personally, many people who have posted on this thread have echoed my own feelings. I began following the forum at a time when there seemed to be a great deal of nastiness. I tried to lighten things by posting as three different people, one a bit dim, one normal and one completely surreal. I didn't expect much response to the batty one, but dim and normal sometimes had something relevant to say, but were generally passed over and ignored. This forum is not really representative of Lewes as a community, and I shall not be following it so much and hopefully will not post again.

On 2 Aug 2011 at 10:57pm jrsussex wrote:
Marge - Spot on, MC is one of the more entertaining and interesting people. As you are aware MC you and I sometimes disagree but I always respect your comments so I'd rather you hang on in there. Along with the other the others than make this forum interesting for me personally.
How about a red carpet award ceremony for poster of the year? (I'm only joking Webbo, don't have nightmares)

On 2 Aug 2011 at 11:21pm MC wrote:
Thanks jrs. I am glad that my brash Audi TT can still move in some harmony alongside your vintage Jag. :-)

There are some posters here that I appreciate a lot; yourself, Clifford, Mystic Mog, Ed Can Do, Annette Curtin Twitcher (what a great username), huw, Dr Trick Cyclist, bastian, Vesbod, CliffeBimbo even Paul Newman's poetic missives when he's not relentlessly shoving his politics down my throat, but the ar__ole quotient has just got too high. I hate it when those few nasty users slag off any people and posts they can, whenever they can. And it does begin to look like this forum is full of small minded and unhappy idiots... although I know that it's not. Like AC I am certain it's the lack of registration that enables these few people to post their bile so vigorously under multiple user names.

Only three days ago one of them posted a pathetic comment using my username. This is stupid and should not be possible.

In the end there are just too many threads that are a waste of time.

On 3 Aug 2011 at 7:11am jrsussex wrote:
Quite strange, most if not all the posters you have mentioned would be included in my list of of most interesting. I am sure there are one or two more as well. Why I say strange is that it proves that those of us who treat the forum as a useful debating, view seeking facility pretty well recognise each other and acknowledge which posts are worth reading and commenting on.
I incidentally never post under anything other than the one name.

On 3 Aug 2011 at 1:15pm Coward wrote:
However - there should be room for people with ideas that are outside the mainstream and not just the usual suspects. This forum can be very unwelcome to anyone who is not in the circle of regulars mentioned above and has a history of jumping on outsiders and hounding them to death.
I also am weaning myself off the site and understand MC's point of changing user name because of the abuse.

On 3 Aug 2011 at 3:12pm EbeneezerHowOdd wrote:
My main problem with this forum is the way that certain posters can shoehorn a 'DFL' reference into almost any topic. You could be talking about the smell from the farm, the traffic in the town centre, Pells Pool or Tescos, someone is going to mention DFLs at some point. I think it might be some sort of mental illness. Not sure what the record is for number of posts before DFL is mentioned?

Check it out here »

On 3 Aug 2011 at 3:57pm Clifford wrote:
I've never seen this forum as being unwelcoming, though it can be hard on fools (including me when I ask for it). I'd agree with MC and jrs on the interesting group of regulars who's names I look out for and invariably enjoy reading (even when I disagee with them, and sometimes particularly when I disagree with them).

On 3 Aug 2011 at 4:54pm Southover Queen wrote:
It definitely is unwelcoming. My first contribution was met with a sneering assumption that I was promoting a new local business and was followed by a whole procession of people pouring scorn on my opinion and the business I was recommending. I don't think my contribution was foolish, just rather naively offered imagining that my opinion might be welcome.

I enjoy a robust argument as much as the next person, but at the moment what often happens is a small group of bullies round on the newcomer who scurries off never to be seen again. As I've said before, that's a pity.

On 3 Aug 2011 at 6:22pm Clifford wrote:
I'm sorry if that's your experience Southover Queen. But 'the business I was recommending' sounds very much like 'promoting a new local business'. If there's one thing I've noticed it's that posters don't like to see someone trying to grab some free advertising in the guise of a comment.

On 3 Aug 2011 at 7:14pm marge wrote:
I agree with Southover Queen; the forum definitely is unwelcoming to anyone who is found to be on a slightly different wavelength or who has a slightly different take on a topic. Clifford, you occasionally patronised the dim character I had invented, but I/he didn't mind that at all - at least you took the trouble to comment. Most posters just stepped over us. The "normal" character I posted as often had something to say, but again was ignored. Mrs T was really a legpull, and was away with the fairies, but she got more attention than the other two.
You can only take so much of constantly being ignored - and, yes, Clifford, I may be a "fool" or at least underinformed sometimes, but not all the time.

On 3 Aug 2011 at 9:39pm MC wrote:
Please continue Mrs Twine. She's great. I thought that she was the invention of the same person who wrote in as Peter the upper class reprobate. He was also great.
That's entertainment, imagination and both are/were good fun. I don't give a hoot about whether they were real. The anonymous cowards are real, but they are no fun at all!

On 3 Aug 2011 at 9:50pm Southover Queen wrote:
@Clifford: the thread was one in which a series of people moaned about terrible eating experiences in Lewes. I commented that I'd had three good meals at the Kings Head. This was the response: "Thank you for that input Southover Queen aka New landlady or staff of Kings head. Yawn!!!! I thought it was a sperm donors the other day after looking at the sign not a pub." Others followed to sneer.

There's a great opportunity here for a proper community forum, but not if this is the standard of debate. The die-hards do always jump to the most negative conclusion possible - you say they "don't like to see someone trying to grab free advertising", but the truth is they don't like anyone having anything positive to say about anything, really.

On 3 Aug 2011 at 10:40pm MC wrote:
I'm not certain about your categorisation and dismissal of 'die-hards'. There are some pillocks who continually change their username to snipe and then there are those that always use the same username (see above). Very few of the 'constants', who I'd also think of as die-hards, will sneer or demean any person, and especially not a new poster.

I am in agreement that this is a missed opportunity for a good community forum and I'm certain that the lack of registration condems it to be saddled with idiots in perpetuity.

On 3 Aug 2011 at 11:11pm Marge wrote:
MC - Thanks on behalf of Mrs T.
What has happened to Brixton Belle?

On 4 Aug 2011 at 9:27am Toot wrote:
At the risk of being labelled a bully or a coward or whatever I might be, have any of you ever thought that, if a number of people vilify your posts, and no one else (that you might consider 'normal') stands up for your point of view, then maybe no one out there agrees with you and maybe you're in the minority or (god forbid) wrong.
Surely if 90% of the posters on here have a go at a post or opinion, then largely speaking you can consider that opinion to be against the majority. As such, why would people bother to humour it if they disagree with it? It wouldn't happen in the real world either (unless you have exceptionally polite friends who never pull you up on your errors of judgment).
Before there is some serious high-horse mounting, I'm not talking about general snipes and gutter-posts, but to expect someone to stay quiet when you say something that they find offensive, pointless, or stupid is just plain wrong in my book.
And I'm sorry to say that if people (i.e. 'everyone') just ignores your posts, then frankly they're probably just not interesting or thought-provoking enough to warrant a response.
It's a big bad world out there, and this is only a little message board, take it on the chin and move on - or stand up for your views without running off.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

heading for extinction 43:132
heading for extinction

Well it looks as if I can jet off soon , none of the loud mouths with nothing behind them have anything to say, all piss and wind... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine