Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

The state of our town

On 6 Mar 2018 at 10:13pm localpotato wrote:
With the incidents recently regarding our youth do you feel the longevity of peace in our town is decreasing?
On 6 Mar 2018 at 10:18pm Deja Vu wrote:
Yes you're all doomed, too many people, nowhere to park, everyone is angry, high prices, poor services, too many drugs.
And that's just this weeks forum posts (and we're only on Tuesday).
On 6 Mar 2018 at 10:24pm Dijavu wrote:
The house you sold in Lewes is now worth more than when you sold it. Your house in hailsham is worth less than you paid for it. And your still on this forum.
On 6 Mar 2018 at 10:32pm Deja Vu wrote:
Yes I mainly come back for that sense of superiority I get.
My old house probably is well on the way to being worth more, as the new owner was planning a loft conversion. However you know nothing about me or what I've done to the house since moving in so you're a bit of a tool to assume it's lost value....
On 7 Mar 2018 at 12:28am Billy Bull wrote:
Outside the minority Lewes of boutique shops and overpriced coffee for the gullible we live in a town with at least two foodbanks, some of the highest youth unemployment in East Sussex and poverty that would make people's hair stand on end if they looked beyond the comfortable facade. I think "peace" is a relative concept.
On 7 Mar 2018 at 5:18am The Major. wrote:
Re youth unemployment....the work is out there if they want it. Many of the youth today are lazy and have no work ethic brought up by do-gooder parents who would never dream of sending their little Tarquin or Jemima out to do a paper round or to sweep up in the local hair dressers
On 7 Mar 2018 at 5:50am Bob wrote:
The real world is coming to Lewes. Bye, bye snowflakes, you need to find another cotton wool lined haven to dwell in.
On 7 Mar 2018 at 6:34am Mr Phorbes wrote:
Food banks intrest me.
A town like Lewes with a population of 16000 has, according to last months Viva Islington, 3 food banks.
I can't help but think food banks , whilst clearly a good thing, are nothing more than a political vehicle driven by the Labour party.
3 food banks in this town , really!
On 7 Mar 2018 at 7:02am Sussex Jim wrote:
I browsed through a copy of Viva recently. There were about four pages about food banks. The volunteers interviewed were all of the opinion that the underlying problem was the Governments' overhaul of the benefits system.
The benefits system was intended to be a temporary safety net for those who fell on hard times. Not a permanent lifestyle choice. There is an alternative to living on benefits- go out and earn a living. Attempt to support yourselves.
I am sure the genuinely vunerable and disabled who cannot work hate having to rely on charity.
On 7 Mar 2018 at 7:18am Tim wrote:
I think it has been asked on here before but who uses the food banks, what are the qualifying criteria etc? I am interested because it might open my eyes a bit.
On 7 Mar 2018 at 7:47am Wet Dog wrote:
Things will change with the advent of whatís happening as it is perceived to be no worse than whatís happened before. The council has taken an exception to its significance but should hopefully fulfill the obligations considering the fact of whatís gone on before.
On 7 Mar 2018 at 7:56am The major wrote:
I know people in landport who love in council houses and are in well paid jobs who use the food banks because itís free food. Simple as that. They have no morals and donít give a flying f about anyone else. Open your eyes Lewes.
On 7 Mar 2018 at 8:14am Jester wrote:
Behave Major. Completely untrue. They may have jobs, but certainly not well paid, if they were, they wouldn't meet the criteria for the service. You need a recommendation from a local authority, social worker or doctor to qualify as your circumstances need to be evaluated first. You can't just rock up and get free food.
On 7 Mar 2018 at 8:16am Mr Chips wrote:
Don't you have to be referred to a foodbank?
On 7 Mar 2018 at 9:05am Tim wrote:
My earlier post was a serious question and I would like to understand a bit more about who depends on food banks and why? I have always had a job and consider myself reasonably comfortable and find it difficult to relate to being in a less fortunate position. Are they people with jobs that just about provide the bare minimum? Are they people who solely survive on benefits? (again, I have no idea what a "typical" benefits claimant receives). Are they homeless? Are they families or single people?
On 7 Mar 2018 at 9:11am @ Mr. Chips wrote:
Goodbye
On 7 Mar 2018 at 9:24am An answer @ Tim wrote:
I have a family member who survives on benefits - a single woman of pensionable age lives in a bedsit, paid for by benefits, and receives £150 a week state pension (+ the £200 yearly fuel allowance )
On 7 Mar 2018 at 9:25am Mark wrote:
The state of our town? I'm not sure, more likely that it's just the general state of our nation. Tory austerity agenda (Corporation and higher earner tax cuts - always on the cards whenever it can be wrangled) + Economic fallout from Brexit lunacy.
On 7 Mar 2018 at 10:55am Voice of Reason wrote:
Lots of seemingly affluent market towns have exactly the same issues as Lewes
On 7 Mar 2018 at 11:16am Border Control wrote:
Just too many people, not just in Lewes but in the UK and the World as a whole. Its only going to get worse for your kids !!
On 7 Mar 2018 at 11:50am Reality wrote:
Too many bloody self-serving Tories in this town judging by the state of this forum.
On 7 Mar 2018 at 12:00pm @reality wrote:
So true, I would go further and say idiots scraping by and yet still voting Tory.
On 7 Mar 2018 at 12:12pm Some guy wrote:
I just felt something happen
On 7 Mar 2018 at 12:30pm Gus wrote:
@ H: Very nice, dear. Just explain your relevance.
On 7 Mar 2018 at 2:02pm @Gus wrote:
Who's H ?
On 7 Mar 2018 at 2:24pm Tim wrote:
@An Answer, thank you, that helps put things in perspective - I think.
I guess the emphasis is on "survives". I have just totted up my monthly bills (family of three, and I'm retired with no mortgage and no car) and my fixed monthly bills (food, TV, Phone, Energy, Water, Community Charge etc) come to £674 a month. I guess I am fortunate that I have money spare for clothing, furnishings, days out, Birthdays etc.
On 7 Mar 2018 at 3:28pm @Tim wrote:
The majority of the benefits bill in the UK goes to working people, so we, the taxpayer, are subsidising low paying employers. Benefits are harder to get and take longer to get than ever before so for some the foodbanks fill the gap while they are waiting and being assessed. Many of those referred to the foodbanks are hard working, tax paying professionals who are finding the weak pound pushing up food prices, stagnating salaries and so on makes every week longer than their pay cheques even without any frivolous spending. The number of nurses using foodbanks (take home pay 1400 a month - doesn't go far in the south east) should be a national scandal.
On 7 Mar 2018 at 3:34pm Glad to be out of it. wrote:
Just a downright nasty little town full of nasty vindictive people.
On 7 Mar 2018 at 3:53pm Tim wrote:
@@Tim, I think you are quoting the very basic, bottom of the scale wage and the basic 37.5hr week?
On 7 Mar 2018 at 5:12pm FAirmeadow wrote:
Lewes used to have 3 food banks, but now there are two. You do need a referral. They are meant to be for short term use, but some customers do seem to become regulars. I'm sure there will be people who abuse them, but without them a lot of local people would be starving. The main reason they are needed are failures in the benefit process, especially the ending of crisis loans; people being sanctioned (some reasonably, some not); HMRC's high handed methods for reclaiming tax credit overpayments; poor people having unexpected bills that they have to use their food money for (e.g. car repair bills for delivery drivers). If you had a good income that you unexpectedly lose, and a lifestyle to match, your income can drop a lot faster than you can cut your expenditure or sell your high mortgage house. Benefits will often cover most of your rent, but not mortgage payments. Anyone self-employed who gets ill and can't work, or whose business fails because a big customer goes bankrupt, can find themselves in a real mess very quickly.
On 7 Mar 2018 at 7:13pm @Tim wrote:
No tim you get benefits until around 30k income, you never heard of working tax credits and single income households?
30k is far in excess of what a nurse earns (neither basic or 37 hours a week).
The root cause is the same though, it's not high taxes or low wages, it's high housing costs. In 2002 rents for 1 bed were 400 a month, it's now treble that in some areas.
On 7 Mar 2018 at 7:25pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
High rents add to the benefit bill, too, especially at times like this when wages are pretty stagnant.
I'd love to know how much of the benefit bill is paying mortgages for buy-to-let landlords.
On 7 Mar 2018 at 8:19pm Gilly wrote:
it's true nasty little town with nasty little people

On 7 Mar 2018 at 8:52pm Clifford wrote:
The Major. wrote: 'Re youth unemployment....the work is out there if they want it.'

Have you thought to changing your name to The Moron? Tell me what work is available for people with no experience. Employers expect ready-trained cheap labour. That's why they support the EU.
On 7 Mar 2018 at 11:04pm Food for thought wrote:
Food banks seem to be run by fat women and provide groceries to council house residents who have their rent paid for by the public. In fact the people who get the food parcels probably have more money than most people who actually work and keep their own families
On 8 Mar 2018 at 12:23am @food for thought wrote:
How arrogant and naive can 1 person be?! Do you seriously believe that people who attend food banks to shop in order to feed their families have more money than those who do not? You clearly can't see past your own pathetic existence to see that poverty isn't just an advert for '3rd world countries'. You obviously have no idea of the real world and the major problems that are right outside your door. Just continue to bury your head in the sand in your upper wanna be middle class life you utter moron!

On 8 Mar 2018 at 5:12am But wrote:
how many users of the foodbank, smoke or drink?

On 9 Mar 2018 at 8:17pm Gilly wrote:
I know people that sell the food from the bank for more drugs.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Boroughs tableau 2015 12:132
Boroughs tableau 2015

Well it looks as if I can jet off soon , none of the loud mouths with nothing behind them have anything to say, all piss and wind... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams