Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

The future of zu

On 16 Dec 2015 at 7:48pm nevillman wrote:
Like many I will miss zu studios. Why is there not a movement to raise sufficient money to rent or buy a warehouse on the cliffe industrial estate so that it can continue? They could still accommodate starfish as well as the artists and continue to hold their events. Serious comments on this would be welcome. If you just wish to attack zu, please start your own thread.
On 16 Dec 2015 at 7:56pm jaffa wrote:
I wonder if there are any large suitable warehouses in or around the newhaven area. It's much cheaper there and the local economy could benefit from the buzz created by such a project.
If they could buy rather than rent it may be possible to make their future more certain. Perhaps phoenix rising could help them raise the funds required.
On 16 Dec 2015 at 8:12pm Theo wrote:
Why would they ,they've had a freebie for long enough . Would the old bus garage be any good is it worth approaching them
On 16 Dec 2015 at 8:23pm logical wrote:
Bus station is a good idea
On 16 Dec 2015 at 8:54pm Theo wrote:
There you go even us bigots have the odd constructive idea . I think Martin Elliot owns the bus station and I'm sure it's standing empty . Only used for csbs tab but they can look elsewhere I'm sure
On 16 Dec 2015 at 9:23pm Border Control wrote:
Bus station would need all the health and safety, fire escapes, toilet and kitchen facilities etc etc etc need by legitimate businesses. Not something they maybe used to.
On 16 Dec 2015 at 9:56pm Bus user wrote:
Check out Phoenix Rising website. They are looking to buy a site to resurrect the ironworks sheds on. LPR have started discussions with Santon and Lewes DC to find new lications forbusinesses on Phoenix Place. Apart from the bus garage being a dark building I like the idea of the bus garage as an intermediate home for Zu etc. Not sure parties there would be welcome though as the are residents along Albion Street who would object to late noise etc. And other local venues might object too.
On 16 Dec 2015 at 10:51pm Pilgrim wrote:
Big empty space between Tesco & King's church. Formerly planned for Tesco extension that now isn't going to happen.
On 17 Dec 2015 at 8:20am Dixie Normus wrote:
Why not squat the castle, apparently nobody lives there and its ripe for a hippy shindig
On 17 Dec 2015 at 8:49am in the know2 wrote:
Zu had to put in all the infrastructure in the old building, when they got it, it was a shell, they put in the fire doors, fire alarms, cctv , they sorted the plumbing/electric and passed their LDC H&S certificate for the kitchen/bar.They worked really hard to keep the venue to required standards, (which is why it's so galling when people write lies ion here about it).The bus station is used as a Tab shed and they are few and far between at the moment-something raised with the national park as part of the community but largely ignored.
On 17 Dec 2015 at 10:53am Celine wrote:
The land next to Tesco will be housing units. Tesco are submitting planning for residential all over the country for land they've bought for new shops and existing shop extensions because of the change in the retail sector. i.e. Tesco's slice of the retail market is contracting.

On 17 Dec 2015 at 10:59am Tory Tim wrote:
Who cares? I'm alright Jack.
On 17 Dec 2015 at 11:50am nevillman wrote:
I suggested a unit on cliffs industrial estate as it would be out of the way and late night events would not disturb anyone. From the above responses it sounds like they would have the wherewithal to convert an industrial unit. I am pleased they are actively looking for somewhere and wish them well.
On 17 Dec 2015 at 2:43pm Bongos in the night wrote:
There is some confusion of the two "problems". Somewhere to work/ create and somewhere to live. Very few of us can produce physical work of any size at home so we accept travel as a cost of trade and pass this on to the consumer. When someone can avoid this cost by living on site they will be able to make a bigger profit or sell more by reduced selling price. Viable business owners will have used the profit made by the advantage of reduced costs to either secure their future business or invest in other ways they deem of benefit.

On 17 Dec 2015 at 4:03pm Jude wrote:
Live-work units are not Unheard of and hardly a new concept. Check out riverside site in Bristol which converted old industrial units to such spaces and created a 'creative' quarter. Called Paintworks.
On 17 Dec 2015 at 4:39pm the obscure wrote:
I think they'll have to go to Newhaven or a rural complex.
On 17 Dec 2015 at 5:07pm Belladonna wrote:
It would be quite something if they were able to reconstruct the old ironworks on another site. I wonder if they might connect this into the LDC disposal of 39 sites/ community assets. Isn't there some land earmarked for redevelopment near the sewage farm, along Ham lane ? I would also have thought the St Anne's site could be perfect for the vans....

On 17 Dec 2015 at 7:24pm HeyHo wrote:
Cathedral Group have been doing some interesting work at Circus Street in Brighton (the old municipal market). They've been using it for all sort of temporary uses since taking it over. Some developers and landlords aren't against that sort of thing.

Check it out here »

On 18 Dec 2015 at 8:07am bastian wrote:
well the artists here are all up for that-but not the council. There is one other group that controls Lewes, and that is the Rotarians. Ever noticed thier symbol on the Lewes sign on entering town from Ringmer, they operate the fatstock dinner which is an all male back slapping club, and many are well healed and have designs on how Lewes should be via the chamber of commerce. Strangley, this year, Zu studios and the skate park made it inot the Lewes town guide, only months before the desicion to knock it down.
On 18 Dec 2015 at 8:38pm 'kin rotate wrote:
It's a conspiracy I tell you - Masonicals Rotarationals Sue Budd Giro Chapel they're all in it together.
On 19 Dec 2015 at 2:03am Ian freeston wrote:
when my step dad,
"i didn't know he was at the time of these statements"
said rock and rolls coming back
as Mud, Showaddywaddy, etc where playing on TOTPs
I cringed in my tank top.
So anyone coming out with the cult like statements of creating at ZU in lewes forever
I'll lend you my vauxhall Zafia and a hose pipe while I give you some reiki healing from a distance.. with a clown and a poet for company to past over gracefully into la la land
On 19 Dec 2015 at 7:17pm Bessemer Converter wrote:
I reckon any old place could be converted.
On 19 Dec 2015 at 7:31pm Catalytic Converter wrote:
I think a Zafira has one so you'll only get wet and CO2'd . Mind you you could fill it with hover boards and run it with the heater on .
On 19 Dec 2015 at 9:25pm shaven haven wrote:
Newhaven says, come my precious we will nurture you. We've got plenty of buildings right up your north street. Bring your vans and suckle from our fertile town... If it gets too much for you here there is always a ferry to the international stage...

On 19 Dec 2015 at 10:18pm Ian freeston wrote:
a New Heaven sounds great in Newhaven shaven haven
as Im guessing Lewes will; become a gated community
with the low paid and poor folk (who make me sick with their moaning and complaining) getting bused in to serve the needs of those that can afford to buy or rent etc..

12 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Impending Sheep 45:132
Impending Sheep

You do know that it's 'its sage advisors'. No apostrophe required unless it's an abbreviation, or rather elision, for 'it is'.... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine