Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

The end of Meals-on-Wheels?

On 2 Jul 2014 at 9:59am Fairmeadow wrote:
The County Council is "consulting" on withdrawing all financial support for the privatised version of what used to be the Meals-on-Wheels service, on which a good number of our independent elderly depend. In East Sussex "consulting" appears to mean they are telling you what they have decided to do.
If the service were to continue to offer meals at the present cost(which it very probably would not, because of the effect of inevitable withdrawalson fixed costs) it would have to cost each elderly and vulnerable recipient an extra 30 per week.
This is an excellent example of the impact of the ConDem cuts on services [provided by a Con county council], which are absolutely essential to ensure that bankers' bonuses rebound, London house prices soar and the world becomes a better place for Bullingdon Club members.

Check it out here »
On 2 Jul 2014 at 11:29am Sick wrote:
Its disgusting really.. I hope the Council are proud of themselves.
Recipients of these services don't need the Council axing the service and a handy list of 'alternate private food providers' instead.
Just don't ask the Council to look after your elderly, sick or poor.
"East Sussex County Council needs to save money in these difficult financial times".
Go and take the food away from the most vulnerable in society who find it near impossible to speak up against it.
What kind of Society do you want to live in?

Check it out here »
On 2 Jul 2014 at 11:58am Merlin Milner wrote:
I agree. Please fill-in and forward the link.
On 2 Jul 2014 at 12:02pm Sick wrote:
David Cameron Meals on Wheels..
Do you think this is fair in todays Society?

Check it out here »

On 2 Jul 2014 at 12:14pm Zebedee wrote:
Consultation, my arse!

The blurb just says that service take up has reduced but does not mention how many people use it and it's impossible to fill in the survey form unless you are in receipt of meals on wheels or care for someone who is!
On 2 Jul 2014 at 12:20pm Historian wrote:
The phrase "that's not fair" was only ever used in the playground when I was growing up. Now it's used to complain about everything.
Life's not fair, get over it everyone !!
On 2 Jul 2014 at 12:29pm Merlin Milner wrote:
I filled in and am not in receipt of meals on wheels or care for someone who is. There are spaces to add comments etc. However some of the drop down selections are not obvious.
On 2 Jul 2014 at 12:43pm Sick wrote:
Historian you must had an extremely sheltered childhood. No one used the phrase 'That's not fair'. You live in very lonely and warped place of your own making..

On 2 Jul 2014 at 1:43pm Childhood sweetheart wrote:
In our plaground the boys would shout " Who`s in front" while running around - well that`s what they told the teacher. LOL. Historian - you need 6 of the best - Wacko !

On 2 Jul 2014 at 2:56pm Godot wrote:
I'll be turning Water into Wine and Wine into Bread and Bread into Fish this Thursday outside Harvey's from 11.00am - 12.30pm.
If I'm a little late no matter.. just wait..
On 2 Jul 2014 at 2:58pm trooper wrote:
I am not in any way whatever involved in the Meals on Wheels system, but I do take exception to "HIstorian's statement "Life aint fair get over it". I am sure we are all aware that much in life is not fair but we are surely still entitled to complain about that which we feel is wrong.Given your premise it appears to imply that we should accept what we get, and remain silent if not what form of words would you think would be appropriate ??

On 2 Jul 2014 at 3:34pm Zebedee wrote:
Merlin.
How did you complete this question?

Which services do you, or the person you care for, use? (Please choose one
answer)
* Meals only
* Meals and safety checks

On 2 Jul 2014 at 3:40pm Merlin Milner wrote:
I did not. From memory somewhere it says if you are not a carer or recipient go to question 4, ie bypass these questions.

On 2 Jul 2014 at 4:02pm Bleeding Heart wrote:
nuffin to say !!!

On 2 Jul 2014 at 5:32pm Trevor wrote:
It's not the local Council fault that they need to save a huge amount of money from their ever dwindling budget.
Why don't you blame Central goverment who are determined to break local councils.
West Sussex have outsourced all their services, which is a great shame because experienced and dedicated staff have also lost jobs.Not that the Tories care about such ordinary lives.
On 2 Jul 2014 at 7:17pm Fairmeadow wrote:
Primary people responsible are the Coalition government, who imposed swinging cuts on Local Government in order to create a world in which Bullingdon Club members can prosper effortlessly.
However, East Sussex County Council still have choices. Other councils have made different decisions.
Blame all round seems appropriate?

On 2 Jul 2014 at 7:20pm Captain Swing wrote:
Swinging Cuts ? Time for action , mateys

On 3 Jul 2014 at 2:46pm Zebedee wrote:
Ah, I see. If you select you are 'a member of the public' then you'll see the note saying avoid questions 1 to 4. If you click anything else (as i did; 'other') you'll not see the message.

Question 7 has a bug. You are only supposed to check two items, but you are able to check more and if you do cannot un-check them. The question is also formed extremely badly and I'm suspicious its aimed at getting the response ESCC wants.

Why oh why does each of the consultancy forms have all the tedious race/sex/religion questions at the end? Surely the only thing that really matters is that I am resident in the ESCC area, and not whether I am an unmarried Asian transgender Buddhist.

On 3 Jul 2014 at 6:56pm Tory Voice wrote:
Why should the elderly be featherbedded?we cant afford to be setimental any more.Don`t you realise we have to compete in a very harsh world?No meals on wheels or other handouts in India and China.Get real.

On 3 Jul 2014 at 9:14pm Voice of treason wrote:
In a strange way I seem to agree with TV. to a point anyway . The people who actually gave a lot ( WW11) are now very few relatively and I think they deserve the very best until they die . After them it`s the baby boomers coming along ( I`m one ) and it`s been pretty cushty in an historical sense for them

On 3 Jul 2014 at 10:10pm Tory Voice wrote:
Of course you agree.most people do after they have thought about it for a while without the cloyingchildfish sentimentality which infects most politics in this country.Oh the poor elderly,unemployed,sick metally ill e.t.c.Its a dog eat dog world out there,its eat them before they eat you.Only the Conservative party tells you how things REALLY are.That`s why we will win the election because most people know we are in tune with their deepest instincts.

On 3 Jul 2014 at 10:47pm Zebedee wrote:
Its easy to see that in a dog eat dog world Tory Voice will GT eaten. Oh well no loss. Bye.

On 4 Jul 2014 at 11:39am Hmmmm wrote:
Since tory voice and voice of treason seem to be using the same keyboard we'll assume they're the same person.
But anyway, there were quite a few babies born after the second world war and the baby boom. And you're quite wrong abut the cushtyness. We are the generation who have lost out on the pensions we've paid into because of Thatcher's stupid payment holidays, and the general incompetence of thieving tories.

On 4 Jul 2014 at 2:14pm V.O.T wrote:
Hummer you`re wrong - TV is about the only one that`s NOT me LOL

On 4 Jul 2014 at 4:40pm Hmmmm wrote:
Ok V.O.T I take that back. Sorry to get you mixed up with the town idiot.

12 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffes Cliff 27:132
Cliffes Cliff

is it me or is it more expensive in the south then the north ,go on ebay or any thing u fancy buying, and the southern people... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare