Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

The Volunteer

On 29 Aug 2009 at 1:31am Hannibal wrote:
I spent most of an enjoyable evening with a bunch of mates in the John Harvey tonight.
then we went to the Volunteer.
What a total shambles.
Whoever is paying the bloke to run it needs to have a look at the ridiculous queue at the bar.
Obviously its going to get busy when all the other pubs in Lewes close so why not put another couple of staff behind the bar,

You could have taken so much more money tonight if people didn't have to wait 20 minutes to get served.
Don't you want their money???

What Lewes needs is anoher pub open late so we have a choice as the Volunteer just isn't cutting it.

On 29 Aug 2009 at 7:47am river boy wrote:
i for one have stop going in the volunteer because the points you have pointedout.

On 29 Aug 2009 at 7:54am Old Ted wrote:
I live near the Volunteer (but don't use it on the basis you never go to the pub nearest you) but one thing I'd say for its customers - for a reasonably sized pub that opens late you don't get a lot of noise from them when they are finally persuaded to go home.

On 29 Aug 2009 at 7:57am Angry of Lewes (Retd) wrote:
The Volly was successfully killed years ago when it was unsympathetically refurbed from being a classic town centre central-bar pub (easy to serve all round from (a la Ellie or Kings Head) - to a barn of naff too big tables that you need to fight your way round eery time you move, with a teeny weeny bar in the corner - the bar is not big enough to cope with the potential clientele - stupid stupid developer's - the blight of our town.

On 29 Aug 2009 at 10:23am herbie hancock wrote:
Yes, more staff needed, but good though. And smaller tables too. There was only one thoroughfare out of the place, there were so many tables across the centre of the pub - must have been a health and safety fire disaster waiting to happen. Apart from that, it's good to have someone who's willing to stay open late.

On 30 Aug 2009 at 6:32pm flickit wrote:
we went out for a girls night out (we are aged between 27-54) there was 8 of us. the volley would not serve us as we where a same sex group! never heard of anything like it! if they can afford to turn this sort of business away good luck to them.

On 31 Aug 2009 at 12:28pm kitty cat wrote:
Hi flickit. Did they say why? Thats ridiculous. You are right in what you say x

On 1 Sep 2009 at 10:45am Ed Can Do wrote:
We went in on Saturday night in a fairly large group and didn't have any particular difficulties getting served. Sure it was busy but the wait for a drink was no worse than it would have been at the Lansdown when it's busy or the Elly when the football's on or at the JHT when there's a band taking up half the pub. Sometimes you have to wait for a drink in a busy pub, that's a fact of life. If the queue is particularly bad, buy a couple of drinks when you do get to the front to save having to queue up again.

In the current economic climate a lot of pubs are struggling to stay open at all. Having an extra member of staff on all evening to cut down waiting times after 10 at night simply isn't cost effective and there's simply no way you could get someone to work for three hours on a saturday night starting at 10 o'clock.

I think the Volly's actually a lot nicer than it used to be. The ton of chairs and tables in the far room is perhaps a little optimistic but that's always been pretty much dead space since the bar was moved. Since the majority of nasty chavs in town started drinking at the Rainbow then moved to the Lamb, the Volly has become a decent choice for a night out and the fact that it stays open a bit later is a bonus.

On 7 Sep 2009 at 11:34am Frak wrote:
I went in on a Thursday night and it was absolutely dead - no problem getting served. Unfortunately absolutely no atmosphere either. But then again, quite a lot of pubs in Lewes seem to be lacking in that department.

28 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Sheep 79:132
Lewes Sheep

What is it with some people?
With their kid's education at stake, this numpty thinks it's a good idea to ask complete strangers... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina