Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

The Stanley Turner Ground

On 27 Nov 2016 at 4:57pm GirlAboutTahn wrote:
Hi,
Possibly a lazy post as I could probably find out some info on Google but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this site and the fields around it? In that was it ever used in battle or war? Odd question I know...
On 27 Nov 2016 at 6:21pm localman wrote:
From wikipedia: 1934 Date of Stanley Turner Trust Deed to create the Stanley Turner Recreation Ground. This states that "no buildings shall be erected thereon except pavilions, stands or other buildings necessary for the use of the land as a public recreation ground and that in no event shall it be used for the erection of houses" and that "So far as is practicable English timber only shall be used in the erection of gates fences pergolas seats and other wooden erections on the said land"
On 27 Nov 2016 at 6:49pm localman again wrote:
Had a further "rummage" on the internet and came up with the following:
Albert turner was a Timber Merchant in Lewes who gave the land (40 acres)to Lewes Borough in memory of his brother Stanley. !2 acres are used for sport/recreration and the remainder leased for farming. The trust came under the auspices of Lewes District council in 1974.
as far as battles go i don't think there was any on this patch - there were some pillboxes built on adjacent land in 1940 and they still survive today. The ground is used by cricket and Rugby Clubs and was also used for a number of years by the local Round table for their annual carnival before it moved to the dripping pan. The pavilion cost approx 3000 to build, the architect was E.H.Fuller of Lewes. I'm not sure if its a listed building .
Hopefully that is of interest !
On 27 Nov 2016 at 8:44pm GirlAboutTahn wrote:
Thank you so much for your efforts. Interesting to hear the background behind it! I asked because my dog always acts very strangely there - I know that's utterly airy fairy but the only place he ever behaves the same is (Battle of) Bosworth in Leicestershire. Probably something silly and a lot more realistic like spiky weeds in the grass.
On 28 Nov 2016 at 3:42pm bastian wrote:
The hockey pitches were a rubbish dump, that's why they are higher han the football pitches.

32 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Swan penny 112:132
Swan penny

Which nonce art thou pausing for Nuncle? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell