Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

The Phoenix/Shopping centre

On 6 Dec 2012 at 1:36pm Newbie wrote:
Are there plans for a shopping centre in Lewes like the ones in Burgess Hill or Haywards Heath?
On 6 Dec 2012 at 4:20pm SHS wrote:
Yes, this was discussed at a recent meeting and although not official yet it is likely that a shopping centre similar to the one at the Elephant & Castle, only bigger, will be built. All those unsightly business units and terraced houses on the west side of the river will be demolished and a very modern sustainable steel and recycled concrete structure will be built, appropriate for Lewes's 'Gateway to the Downs' and centre of a United Nations World Biodiversity Zone, Nature Improvement Zone, 20mph zone etc etc. A 300 metre clay and reed tower will add to the centre's iconic feel.
On 6 Dec 2012 at 5:45pm Pete wrote:
Oh goody...will there be a pound shop as well ?

On 7 Dec 2012 at 10:47am Clifford wrote:
SHS wrote:'... although not official yet it is likely that a shopping centre similar to the one at the Elephant & Castle, only bigger, will be built.'

Do you mean the Elephant & Castle in London? The shopping centre that was an eyesore, always hated by the people who live in the area, never filled up with shops, and is now going to be pulled down? You want one like that in Lewes? I hope you were being ironic.

On 7 Dec 2012 at 11:59am Ed Can Do wrote:
I'm slightly surprised you didn't see the obvious sarcasm in SHS's post there Clifford.

On 7 Dec 2012 at 12:57pm someone else wrote:
Dear Newbie. Have you noticed how many empty shops there are in Cliffe precinct? Have you ever met a property developer who invested millions on a scheme for which there is clearly no market? Go figure, as they say.

On 8 Dec 2012 at 10:49am Newbie wrote:
se, I was just asking the question, I would prefer not to see a shopping centre in Lewes but as you say, the property developers will get their way because ESCC & LDC wont have the budget to foot the legal bills if the developers decide to get heavy.

On 8 Dec 2012 at 11:19am Clifford wrote:
someone else wrote: 'Have you ever met a property developer who invested millions on a scheme for which there is clearly no market?'

Do you know how long the developer of the Centre Point office block left in empty after it was built, happy in the knowledge that it could only gain in value? 'Go figure' as you said.

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Arched gateway 5:132
Arched gateway

Hello Lewes Forum, I have an enquiry.
Does anyone know of an enclosed field near Lewes where our delightful but errant 10 month... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina