Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

The Parking Scheme - Alternatives?

On 11 Feb 2008 at 4:43pm Jonathan Spencer wrote:
Traffic in Lewes is a mess, the air pollution at rush hour is terrible up school hill and across the Pheonix Causeway.
I am not sure the parking system adds to this or improves it.
Everyone I talk to is a against the parking system, but all agree there should be some kind of traffic and parking control scheme in Lewes. But What? Its easy to be against things but what can we offer instead. At least a umber of people were offering alternatives to the dreadful "pheonix quarter" including that suggested recently by John Stockdales gang.
What of the parking, I would prefer to see carparks made free on a limited basis and vouchered so you could stay 3 hours but then be ticketed if you stayed longer. Also some resident parking permits should give a certain amount of free access to car parks near that resident ( that would be great for me)
And that highlights the problem everyone seems to want a parking system that suits them personally.
Cars need discouraging from Lewes, but alternative transport systems need to be implemented like Park and Ride and better buses to the country areas.
The parking scheme as it is has left me with run ins with parking wardens but better able to park in other areas of the town that used to be impossible.
So whats the answer.
On 11 Feb 2008 at 5:24pm I dont live in lewes anymore wrote:
To the question... The meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything.... I believe the answer is "42".
Hope that helps.
PhilX

On 11 Feb 2008 at 7:37pm SHS wrote:
The answer is two or three free underground carparks on the edge of Lewes and a fleet of small, quite, non-polluting buses that circulate around Lewes at five-minute intervals between 7 a.m. and 12 p.m. Most Lewes roads would only allow parking for residents, who would receive a free permit. Most if not all areas outside shops would have parking only for delivery vehicles. This, and the highway code, is the answer and by co-incidence it totals 42.

On 11 Feb 2008 at 8:36pm FA wrote:
And ban ALL deliveries in the town between the hours of 8am and 6pm....if people want stuff delivering to their shops, they'll need to get in early or stay late.

On 11 Feb 2008 at 11:16pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
I cannot bear to see the Phoenix Quarter spelt incorrectly!
The car parking is an absolute bl**dy nightmare and there is now no easy solution (if at all).
The Lewes House site currently provides car-parking for council employees - I would suggest that this land in the town centre continues as car-parking for all. With certain probability, in the future (with the expanding population of Lewes) the library will need to expand!
Someone once suggested an additional tier to the station car park - this would not obstruct any vista in the town and would provide additional space for cars.

On 12 Feb 2008 at 5:41am SHS wrote:
Agree with the deliveries restriction. But car-parks should be on the edge of town and the town's streets kept for people and public transport, not cars queuing at carparks like they do in Brighton. And why build up? In France many carparks in historic towns are dug several stories down into the ground and and only the entrance is visible. Use the quarried stone for the new Lewes cinema building or the high-speed Lewes-Uckfield railway. Simple.

On 12 Feb 2008 at 7:42am Double Yellow Line wrote:
Get rid of your cars. And don't tell me this is not an option for most people. Most journeys are in town and less than 2 miles. This is easily walkable for MOST people. I have said it before that a car in atown the size of Lewes is a luxury not a necessity. If you choose to use a car you must but up with congestion, fees and nowhere to park. It's your choice.

On 12 Feb 2008 at 8:16am Taff wrote:
put county hall to better use.........knock it down and make the grounds a car park

On 12 Feb 2008 at 10:13am walter wrote:
Even if a decent sized site is found for parking, how long will it be big enough? Lewes streets are just too narrow and small to accommodate the vehicles which people think they need. I agree with Johnathan Spencer, an alternative system needs to be found as a long term solution to get the pollution out of the town centre.

On 12 Feb 2008 at 12:31pm Cliffebimbo wrote:
I have to drive in as I drop my daughter off at a childminder, and most of the Brighton and Hove buses do not take pushchairs. Also, have you tried walking in from Ringmer????? On another note, I think the congestion has actually got worse since the parking scheme was brought in, and I find it more difficult to park now, than before.

On 12 Feb 2008 at 1:13pm Double Yellow Line wrote:
As I clearly stated most of the car owners live in Lewes and don't need their cars. There will always be exceptions.
If you are fit and well Lewes to Ringmer isn't that far.

On 12 Feb 2008 at 1:20pm FA wrote:
It is if you've got small kids to drop off at a childminders DYL....my parents live on the Broyle and it's nearly 6 miles to my house in Lewes from there.
Life would be wonderful if we could all work in the same town as we lived in. Unfortunatly, it doesn't always work like that.

On 12 Feb 2008 at 8:26pm Amethyst wrote:
Until we have a regular, reliable public transport system which covers the outlying towns and villages people in Lewes need cars to get out and about. OK if you do not ever want to out of Lewes then you dont need a car but what if you want to visit Firle or Alfriston or take the kids to Drusillas or Middle Farm. I know buses do pass these places but how often do they run -what if you miss one? how long do you have to wait for the next one? how far is the bus stop from where you want to go? do you have to walk along a busy road without a pavement with children in tow?. And what about Sundays? What if you are a hospital worker who works shifts or a teacher in a rural school? It is not always convenient. IF public transport would cover a large area and regularly i.e. twice an hour then more people would be encouraged to use it. So until this is sorted out people will require the "luxury" of having a car in town.
We need to look at underground/multistorey car parks and the Station car park would be a good candidate for this and also North Street Car Park. Park and Ride should be introduced with people parking at County Hall during weekends would help or the more outlying car parks such as down Cockshut Lane - if there was a shuttle service run people would be more inclinded to use them.

On 12 Feb 2008 at 9:44pm Cliffebimbo wrote:
DYL, have you walked on the pavement from Ringmer to Lewes recently? I would be happy to walk into Town, but the County Council are not prepared to spend money on improving the pavement (believe me, I have asked). I have also cycled, and frankly, every journey could have been my last! Perhaps you would like to try the journey-its only 3 miles.

On 13 Feb 2008 at 12:11am lopster wrote:
walk? - with shopping and pushing a buggy - come on DYL - I'm all for keeping the CO2 footprint down but there are limits - what about a radical town centre bus station hmm? - oh yes we had one didn't we - council couldn't tax the users so sold it - pa'h - poor councils - who should we vote for to end the poor service that we get - will Transition town status help us? or being in the National Park? - help I'm drowning... come on lets build Falmer stadium and encourage some big bands to come down - there'll be ample out of town parking then and shuttle buses could run and service the whole town too - Linkin Park were brilliant but who wants to hack home from the O2 arena at midnight

On 13 Feb 2008 at 7:39am expat wrote:
OK just two questions, where is the 02 and who did the bus station get sold to? I'm obviously losing touch, good job I'm coming home in April.

On 13 Feb 2008 at 1:12pm council bod wrote:
you need to get real folks bus company's will not provide 5 min buses on demand they need to make a profit car parks cost money to build who do you think is going to pay for them yes you said it the poor old over taxed motorist

On 13 Feb 2008 at 1:22pm SHS wrote:
Many years ago, rumour has it that taxation of the people paid for infrastructure such as low-fare trains and buses, also roads and car-parks. Where does all our money go? If you look up ENVIBUS in Antibes, France and click on 'Tarifs' you will see that bus fares are less than one tenth of Sussex bus fares and I am told several bus services are free! In every country I visit, public transport timetables, punctuality and fares put England to shame. We badly need a revolution.

On 13 Feb 2008 at 1:51pm FA wrote:
I'd expect busses to be free if i had to share it with a dozen chickens, 3 goats and a couple of women who look like a sack of chisels....like in other countries

On 13 Feb 2008 at 7:38pm expat wrote:
The retired folk get a free bus service (in Eastbourne, not sure about Lewes) which seems to be a step forward.

On 14 Feb 2008 at 9:16am Bridgeview Boy wrote:
O2 arena is the White Ellephant, Tony's BIG Idea to set England on the world stage in 1999/2000, The Millenium Dome.

On 14 Feb 2008 at 10:15am Longview Girl wrote:
Actually Tony Blair famously inherited the Milllenium Dome plan from the Tories

On 14 Feb 2008 at 12:01pm Smiler wrote:
Putting a roundabout in at earwig corner would do more for congestion in Lewes that this parking scheme ever has

On 14 Feb 2008 at 3:19pm Bridgeview Boy wrote:
Yeah but he oversaw the sky rocketing price then just gave it away. Should have done what Al Murry suggested and sent a couple of bouncing bombs down the thames to blow up the Thames Barrier. Flood Essex and warn of the Germans from having another Crack at us!

On 14 Feb 2008 at 6:44pm Longview Girl wrote:
Not sure you and I would get on, Bridgeview Boy, me being originally from Essex...!

On 14 Feb 2008 at 7:06pm SHS wrote:
A roundabout at Earwig Corner ! Great idea Smiler. Ever wondered why white circles called roundabouts crop up where they are not needed (e.g. that one near the library), but we don't have one at Earwig Corner? Cost. Money. Funding. Waste, Inefficiency & Failure to Prioritise. We badly need a revolution.

On 14 Feb 2008 at 8:55pm Bridgeview Boy wrote:
Great another foreigner in our lovely town.

On 14 Feb 2008 at 10:18pm Longview Girl wrote:
It's partly the foreigners that make it so lovely, my dream-boat bridge baby.

On 15 Feb 2008 at 9:51am Maddie wrote:
I put up with congestion and pollution and I don't drive!

On 15 Feb 2008 at 9:56am Maddie wrote:
That's bus 'companies' not bus 'company's' ... most words ending in 'y' go to 'ies' when they become plural ... But words ending in 'ey' - like 'monkey' - don't go ti 'ies', hence the plural of 'monkey' is 'monkeys'.

On 15 Feb 2008 at 12:21pm Double Yellow Line wrote:
Not if you are in the pop group, then it's Monkees.

On 15 Feb 2008 at 4:38pm Bridgeview Boy wrote:
Your upsetting our inbreeding, Soon there won't be any children born with web toes and 12 fingers (and two thumbs). But No your not the reason Lewes is Lovely!

On 15 May 2008 at 8:47pm philip smith wrote:
day light robbery buy ncp and the council we are a town not a city so we do not need a parking scheme its just the old farts keep mouning about the parking.and theres to many ticket attendants they are like a pack of cheeters on the hunt but on scooters for fast fine .plus there bonus for the week end wages

4 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Ice Cream 68:132
Lewes Ice Cream

Sweet Fanny Adams, Nev, what's it got to do with you? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa