Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

The Olympic Torch

On 17 Jul 2012 at 12:48pm Dave wrote:
I don't believe it!
It's one and a half hours before the torch flys past and there are already hundreds of people standing in the High Street waiting!
Is this just so they can be at the front of the crowd!
I just don't get it.

On 17 Jul 2012 at 12:52pm Cliffite wrote:
I sincerely hope the bonfire societies have something planned for the event. It would go against Lewes tradition just to stand there and take it. I want to see "proper" torches running through the street

On 17 Jul 2012 at 1:20pm Dickie wrote:
I can hear the bloody whistles from where I work (indst est behind tesco's)

On 17 Jul 2012 at 1:33pm Geoff wrote:
Will a crustie be carrying the torch too?

On 17 Jul 2012 at 1:40pm Deelite wrote:
Noisy gits. How am I expected work with this racket going on... get yer soooveneeers eeeeeerrrr...........
On 17 Jul 2012 at 1:52pm pin head wrote:
Just seen it in Crowborough blink and you will miss it what a waste of money
On 17 Jul 2012 at 1:54pm pin head wrote:
Just seen it in Crowborough blink and you will miss it what a waste of money
On 17 Jul 2012 at 2:21pm Southover Queen wrote:
I'm in the high street - great atmosphere and excited kids. Great!
On 17 Jul 2012 at 2:44pm Deelite wrote:
Well that was crap. What a damp, over-egged squib. Between them I'd have thought that Coca Cola, Samsung and LloydsTSB could have put on a much better show.

A shallow commercial PR charade.

On 17 Jul 2012 at 2:46pm Teacher wrote:
Just watched the torch go by at Malling. Bit of an anti climax but it was great for the kids. Did not realise I had so many neighbours.
On 17 Jul 2012 at 2:59pm Southover Queen wrote:
Actually, Deelite, you're right: 95% of commercial sponsors and 5% actual torchery. However I was on the first floor of a building overlooking the relay point, and the expression of the young lady who took the torch through the bottleneck was absolutely priceless - she was so proud and excited, and I salute her and the other torchbearers. Also, the kids loved it and the atmosphere before all the blasted sponsors' vehicle came through was lovely with a great drum band and a real carnival feeling.
On 17 Jul 2012 at 3:11pm Castle Gate wrote:
Agreed. Great and noisy atmosphere. I was about to post some pictures on Twitter, but a spam bomb mentioning Lewes has gone off and made Twitter completely useless for communication about the town just now. Hundreds of spam messages, all containing the word 'Lewes' are flooding through the system.

It was lovely to watch the careful, and proud, handover between two runners.

On 17 Jul 2012 at 3:24pm someone else wrote:
The idea of a Spam bomb is uniquely terrifying.

On 17 Jul 2012 at 3:56pm wrote:
On 17 Jul 2012 at 3:56pm amy wrote:
Hi, I was cynical about this event. However, how great it was to chat to fellow Lewes people who I would normally have just passed in the street. The atmosphere was great and safe for the very young. It would have been totally inappropriate for the bonfire societies to be involved this was about the Olympics.

On 17 Jul 2012 at 4:07pm Torchy wrote:
I think you'll find the bonfires did get involved! The cliffe's mighty tubthumpers were the drum band.

On 17 Jul 2012 at 4:26pm Southover Queen wrote:
I thought they must be Bonfire Boys and Girls: they were terrific and the event would really have been very humdrum* without them.

(*See what I did there?)
On 17 Jul 2012 at 4:34pm tom wrote:
well that was great hundreds of people in the town all happy

On 17 Jul 2012 at 4:37pm Amy wrote:
I did not see the drummers.

On 17 Jul 2012 at 4:46pm Southover Queen wrote:
They were outside Gorringes, near the Castle, Amy.
On 17 Jul 2012 at 5:01pm jo wrote:
not part of the cliffe just people jumped on the backs of bonfire
On 17 Jul 2012 at 5:15pm GaGa Lady wrote:
Memorable day for me - have just joined the forum!

On 17 Jul 2012 at 5:27pm Ducatipete wrote:
There is a surprise Eddie Kidd has long blond hair and was last seen running up School Hill.

On 17 Jul 2012 at 5:32pm fred wrote:
bill did part of the run is that right top bloke
On 17 Jul 2012 at 5:36pm mungo wrote:
If the moving on parade cost £12000 I dread to think how much this one cost.
On 17 Jul 2012 at 6:02pm The Super K wrote:
At least this one celebrated people that have overcome difficulties and do good in their communities (although I fail to see why non-Lewes residents were involved... a girl from Hove ....it went though Hove yesterday!)...... rather than the 'patting on the back' for kids that have done nothing but got a year older and out grown a school.

On 17 Jul 2012 at 8:00pm the old mayor wrote:
Wasn't just 'the experience of a lifetime' - Honest ??
On 17 Jul 2012 at 8:33pm Deelite wrote:
Super K. You have missed the importance of graduation throughout the stages of life and how recognition and celebration of moving on from one stage to the next helps a being reach maturity and a wilful acceptance of responsibility... a stage that far too many in our whining and immature blame society fail to gain.
On 17 Jul 2012 at 10:55pm mickyboy wrote:
bound to get the odd moaning minnie, meanwhile thousands lined the streets and had a whale of a time, far more people than attended the opening of the now defunct magistrates court by princess diana and far far more than lined the streets for her majesty when she opened the police headquarters,
many where children who had there own torches with them, noticably the met police where doing a good PR job as well as a very efficient security job, yep nice to have that feel ggod factor, speak to a few strangers, and come home with some armada & a few thomas paines to wash dinner down with
On 17 Jul 2012 at 11:48pm Lopster wrote:
Love to know where you get your info Jo?
Drummers just a band of "people jumped on the back of bonfire" - not quite right there never mind
A great day, yes a bit of an anti-climax, loads of "support" vehicles then a flash and its gone - but the bearers were the stars and the photos of the girl taking the torch near the bottle-neck show her pride and joy - there was a great atmosphere in town - and its only happened twice in the last century - same year an Englishman wins Wimbledon title too and the Queen's Jubilee - a great excuse to get out the bunting and celebrate our proud nation once again this year.
Shame on you all of you knockers

On 18 Jul 2012 at 7:58am observer wrote:
TV news last evening: - CE OF GS4 shamed (GS4 employs more people than the pop. of Luxembourg and pays them peanuts. Buckles is a multi billionaire), HSBC involved in drug barons' money laundering.
Streets of Lewes yesterday afternoon: corporate juggernaut floats, vulgar and brash dwarf our beautiful buildings, as they advertise a bank and two multinational carnivores.
Everything in this mad world can be bought and if you express sadness at the tawdriness of it all you are seen as a knocker.
People are worth more than this. It was obvious yesterday that people long for community celebration; yet all they are left with is this nasty little affair with all its cynical greed. Athletes and the glorious achievements of human beings in general are tainted by this; as are all the spectators.
Just heard that all the children in the opening ceremony must wear shoes sold by the official sponsor or otherwise wear unbranded ones. We'll all be branded soon!

On 18 Jul 2012 at 8:29am Sussex Jim wrote:
The proper bit, seeing the runner with the torch, was all over in seconds. But it was worth the arriving about two hours before (to ensure getting in to town, and a parking space), the standing around, suffering the banal entourage; as I shall probably never see this event again in Sussex.
But the security seemed over the top. I never realised we had so many police motorcyclists! One good thing, however- there was no sign of Norman Baker jumping on the bandwagon as usual.

On 18 Jul 2012 at 8:47am jelly wrote:
Does anyone have any details of the nasty-looking accident along Brighton Road by Houndean Rise just after the passage of the torch parade? About 3.30?

On 18 Jul 2012 at 10:39am Clifford wrote:
Lopster wrote: '... a great excuse to get out the bunting and celebrate our proud nation once again this year.'

The Olympics are intended to celebrate sporting prowess and international good will, not hackneyed mindless chauvinism.

On 18 Jul 2012 at 10:44am lewes man wrote:
Mungo i was told it cost around 24.000. 10.000 just for the torch then the rest is police and stewards ? But im sure it was worth it ???? LOL
On 18 Jul 2012 at 1:57pm Awesome Wells wrote:
The Olympics may well be intended to celebrate sport BUT the Olympic torch relay is about communities, and that is precisely what it did yesterday.

On 18 Jul 2012 at 4:00pm brixtonbelle wrote:
I was excited by the atmosphere and bonhomie amongst the crowd and very pleased that the torch holder didn't go past in a flash (he was the guy in the wheelchair).

However, the overwhelming stench of tax dodging sponsor, coca cola, the appearance of the big lloyds tsb bus (thankfully no one cheered it), the attempt by samsung to whip up the crowds with their rapping dj which was 'so lame' (as my son put it) meant that it didn't connect at all with the local community and most people I heard were more than a little disappointed and perplexed by it all.

Still, one flaming torch was never going to have much of an impact in Lewes - and I heard the bonfire societies deliberately didn't get involved or plan any sort of associated event.

On 18 Jul 2012 at 4:08pm Eddie wrote:
BB," that guy in the wheel chair" was the famous Eddie kid! Childhood hero of mine. Unfortunately missed him as I was standing on malling hill.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Cameron and Porky 18:132
Cameron and Porky

I see you still pay no attention to the bits that might tax the old grey cells. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy